arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has any one taken Ivermectin or knows of someone who used it?
(06-07-2021, 07:45 PM)deanhills Wrote: There is a strong movement in South Africa who believes Ivermectin can be very effective.

They must have read Michael Capuzzo -a New York Times best-selling author- article "The Drug That Cracked Covid”.. :-)

I first learned about the whole thing a couple of weeks ago via this blog post in the nakedcapitalism.com : “I Don’t Know of a Bigger Story in the World” Right Now Than Ivermectin: NY Times Best-Selling Author which has a link to the original articale in PDF for the interested readers.

Interesting read but I really didn't think too much about it!.. Too much conspiracy theories floating around these days I think!

I did do though a quick search about Ivermectin and it turned out to be a potent anti-parasitic drug. But the wiki page was more helpful in pointing to the key info about it--especially for me as a Biologist.

In the 'adverse effects' section, we read that :
Wikipedia Wrote:The main concern is neurotoxicity, which in most mammalian species may manifest as central nervous system depression, and consequent ataxia, as might be expected from potentiation of inhibitory GABA-ergic synapses.

Since drugs that inhibit the enzyme CYP3A4 often also inhibit P-glycoprotein transport, the risk of increased absorption past the blood-brain barrier exists when ivermectin is administered along with other CYP3A4 inhibitors. These drugs include statins, HIV protease inhibitors, many calcium channel blockers, lidocaine, the benzodiazepines, and glucocorticoids such as dexamethasone.[42]

In the Pharmacology section, the Mechanism of action is also very informative:
Wikipedia Wrote:Ivermectin and its related drugs act by interfering with nerve and muscle function of helminths and insects.[45] The drug binds to glutamate-gated chloride channels that are common to invertebrate nerve and muscle cells.[46] Ivermectin binding pushes these channels open, increasing the flow of chloride ions and hyper-polarizing the cell membranes.[46][45] This hyperpolarization paralyzes the affected tissue, eventually killing the invertebrate.[46] In mammals (including humans) glutamate-gated chloride channels are restricted to the brain and spinal cord; ivermectin cannot cross the blood-brain barrier and so it does not make it to the brain to affect mammalian channels.[46]

So, that's the established facts -so far- and I'm really open-minded as to an eventual treatment effect on COVID-19, but we need more data!..
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting