Post4VPS Forum | Free VPS Provider
How to keep our VPS save from Chinese Botnets? - Printable Version

+- Post4VPS Forum | Free VPS Provider (https://post4vps.com)
+-- Forum: VPS Discussion (https://post4vps.com/Forum-VPS-Discussion)
+--- Forum: VPS Protection (https://post4vps.com/Forum-VPS-Protection)
+--- Thread: How to keep our VPS save from Chinese Botnets? (/Thread-How-to-keep-our-VPS-save-from-Chinese-Botnets)

Pages: 1 2 3

How to keep our VPS save from Chinese Botnets? - mzmznasipadang - 09-09-2018

Hey guys, I've one vps that I used for hosting my own vpn. The problem is its getting a lot of botnets. So how do I to keep my own VPS save from Botnets? Thank You!

RE: How to keep our VPS save from Chinese Botnets? - Amresh - 09-09-2018

hey why don't you use cloudflare....their network provides good security to your vps....maybe your vps then be less vulnerable from botnet attacks or ddos attacks!!
also, if you use ssh then stop using your default ssh port i.e. 22....
you should change it to something else if you haven't did it till now!!
......Also, if you are using centos then stop using it and switch to CLOUDLINUX (if you want your vps for cpanel hosting!!).....
......use latest php for cpanel hosting.....old php has several vulnerabilities.......
......Even you can do more by visiting here:- https://www.accuwebhosting.com/blog/15-easy-tips-for-securing-cpanel-server/

RE: How to keep our VPS save from Chinese Botnets? - mzmznasipadang - 09-09-2018

(09-09-2018, 07:57 AM)Amresh Wrote: hey why don't you use cloudflare....their network provides good security to your vps....maybe your vps then be less vulnerable from botnet attacks or ddos attacks!!
also, if you use ssh then stop using your default ssh port i.e. 22....
you should change it to something else if you haven't did it till now!!
......Also, if you are using centos then stop using it and switch to CLOUDLINUX (if you want your vps for cpanel hosting!!).....
......use latest php for cpanel hosting.....old php has several vulnerabilities.......
......Even you can do more by visiting here:- https://www.accuwebhosting.com/blog/15-easy-tips-for-securing-cpanel-server/

Maybe changing port will do the trick I guess? Cloudflare just kinda pricey for personal use for now. I'm using Debian atm.

RE: How to keep our VPS save from Chinese Botnets? - Tyler - 09-09-2018

(09-09-2018, 08:01 AM)mzmznasipadang Wrote: Maybe changing port will do the trick I guess? Cloudflare just kinda pricey for personal use for now. I'm using Debian atm.
If you're referring to brute forcing the ssh port then yes changing it does the trick. Installing Fail2Ban would also be a wise investment of your time.

hey yes you should change your ssh ports right now as now in this fasting internet ddos and botnets attacks very fast....even if your provider sees that if your vps is very vulnerable they can stop your vps!!you should secure your vps!!!!!!
maybe you should drive your traffic from a proxy!!

(09-09-2018, 08:06 AM)Tyler Wrote: If you're referring to brute forcing the ssh port then yes changing it does the trick. Installing Fail2Ban would also be a wise investment of your time.
yes use fail2ban and also if you see any ip which can be used for ddos attacks then bann it immediately!!
also use cphulk which protects from bruteforce!!

RE: How to keep our VPS save from Chinese Botnets? - Tyler - 09-09-2018

I've actually had two VPS get compromised by botnets in the last day. Because they used "Password!" and "google" as their root passwords.

Made me want to cry.

(09-09-2018, 08:09 AM)Tyler Wrote: I've actually had two VPS get compromised by botnets in the last day. Because they used "Password!" and "google" as their root passwords.

Made me want to cry.

hey i think putting those types of password will let help the attackers using dictionary attacks!! maybe every default password should be very complex like>> !&*Hha!@23%`2`!!@ << yes then bruteforce will not help those attackers!!

RE: How to keep our VPS save from Chinese Botnets? - mzmznasipadang - 09-09-2018

(09-09-2018, 08:06 AM)Tyler Wrote: If you're referring to brute forcing the ssh port then yes changing it does the trick. Installing Fail2Ban would also be a wise investment of your time.

Okay changing the port now. Maybe will installing fail2ban soon.

(09-09-2018, 08:07 AM)Amresh Wrote: hey yes you should change your ssh ports right now as now in this fasting internet ddos and botnets attacks very fast....even if your provider sees that if your vps is very vulnerable they can stop your vps!!you should secure your vps!!!!!!
maybe you should drive your traffic from a proxy!!

yes use fail2ban and also if you see any ip which can be used for ddos attacks then bann it immediately!!
also use cphulk which protects from bruteforce!!

What is cphulk? I might be going to use it if necessary. Is it useful to install cphulk and fail2ban together?

cphulk protects from bruteforce!! you should use it absolutely as dictionary and bruteforce attacks are common these days and fail2ban also protects you from bruteforce and dictionary attacks ....i think you should choose one of these two!!!!
fail2ban also banns those IPs which seems to be an attacker and doing an attack!!
this is like your bodyguard!! Smile

(09-09-2018, 08:21 AM)Amresh Wrote: cphulk protects from bruteforce!! you should use it absolutely as dictionary and bruteforce attacks are common these days and fail2ban also protects you from bruteforce and dictionary attacks ....i think you should choose one of these two!!!!
fail2ban also banns those IPs which seems to be an attacker and doing an attack!!
this is like your bodyguard!! Smile

nice, maybe fail2ban will work for now. Will tell you guys if fail2ban doing some great job. My nightmare is, my VPS gets blocked with The Great Firewall.