Post4VPS Forum | Free VPS Provider
Microsoft .NET Framework Conflict with MalwareBytes! - Printable Version

+- Post4VPS Forum | Free VPS Provider (https://post4vps.com)
+-- Forum: Geek World (https://post4vps.com/Forum-Geek-World)
+--- Forum: Software (https://post4vps.com/Forum-Software)
+--- Thread: Microsoft .NET Framework Conflict with MalwareBytes! (/Thread-Microsoft-NET-Framework-Conflict-with-MalwareBytes)

Microsoft .NET Framework Conflict with MalwareBytes! - deanhills - 06-30-2020

For the last two days I had an issue with Microsoft .NET Framework on my computer.  Immediately after login it would come up with the following error message:

Quote:Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quick, the application closes immediately.

This of course was very scary for me, since I'm still on Windows 7.  I immediately thought this was the reason for it.  That I needed an update or something that will never come as Windows 7 is no longer supported.

Has this happened to any one else before?

Any way, I then went to Google for help, and found lots of help at this discussion on the Microsoft Support Forum.  It had happened to someone else before.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance-winpc/microsoft-net-framework-error-unhandled-exception/6c246433-4f2a-4798-aadf-4531014601b1

I then did the first thing suggested which was to download the Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool that the Microsoft Moderator recommended.  I then followed the steps until it made a suggestion for deregistering the Windows installation.  And of cause stopped right there.  As it sounded too serious, and I didn't have the foggiest what this meant.

I then went back to the above discussion where the person who was being helped said that the repair tool had fixed the problem for a week only, and then the problem reoccurred, and it was only then that the Microsoft Moderator pointed him in the direction of the possibility of a software conflict with a third party anti-virus.

Bingo!  I had loaded MalwareBytes over the weekend when I wanted to check my computer thoroughly.  I hadn't used MalwareBytes in a long time.  Any way, I then uninstalled MalwareBytes immediately, and so far the error message hasn't come up again.

So if this should ever happen to someone else.  Looks like Microsoft .NET Framework has the potential for software conflict with anti-virus software.

RE: Microsoft .NET Framework Conflict with MalwareBytes! - ikk157 - 06-30-2020

(06-30-2020, 09:09 PM)deanhills Wrote: For the last two days I had an issue with Microsoft .NET Framework on my computer.  Immediately after login it would come up with the following error message:

This of course was very scary for me, since I'm still on Windows 7.  I immediately thought this was the reason for it.  That I needed an update or something that will never come as Windows 7 is no longer supported.

Has this happened to any one else before?

Any way, I then went to Google for help, and found lots of help at this discussion on the Microsoft Support Forum.  It had happened to someone else before.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance-winpc/microsoft-net-framework-error-unhandled-exception/6c246433-4f2a-4798-aadf-4531014601b1

I then did the first thing suggested which was to download the Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool that the Microsoft Moderator recommended.  I then followed the steps until it made a suggestion for deregistering the Windows installation.  And of cause stopped right there.  As it sounded too serious, and I didn't have the foggiest what this meant.

I then went back to the above discussion where the person who was being helped said that the repair tool had fixed the problem for a week only, and then the problem reoccurred, and it was only then that the Microsoft Moderator pointed him in the direction of the possibility of a software conflict with a third party anti-virus.

Bingo!  I had loaded MalwareBytes over the weekend when I wanted to check my computer thoroughly.  I hadn't used MalwareBytes in a long time.  Any way, I then uninstalled MalwareBytes immediately, and so far the error message hasn't come up again.

So if this should ever happen to someone else.  Looks like Microsoft .NET Framework has the potential for software conflict with anti-virus software.

I use both .NET framework and malwarebytes (based on you recommending it in a thread of mine months back), and I haven’t had any issues with software conflicting with each other.

However, what’s different between your case and mine is that I’m on windows 8.1 Pro, you’re on windows 7, so I have no clue whether that plays a role in it.

Your best bet is to either use a different.NET framework binary and hope the same issue doesn’t pop up again, or use a completely different anti-virus/anti-malware software. 

You can even check what malwarebytes has blocked, and if you see anything to do with .NET framework, then simply add it to the whitelist on malwarebytes so it doesn’t interfere with it ever again.

You could try the upgrade to windows 8.1 as we’ve discussed many times earlier, but judging by what I assume, you don’t seem to be comfortable with that as of yet. Nor can I guarantee that this will solve the problem you’ve described in this thread.

RE: Microsoft .NET Framework Conflict with MalwareBytes! - deanhills - 06-30-2020

Thanks for the suggestion @ikk157. I decided that I will do without MalwareBytes for now so I can make sure first that that is the real source of the problem. I'll give it a few days first to make sure the pop up error message doesn't come up again. If MalwareBytes is the real source of the problem, I will only load it for once-off scanning when I really need to scan my computer properly. And then remove it afterwards.

RE: Microsoft .NET Framework Conflict with MalwareBytes! - Mashiro - 07-01-2020

Could you see which program was throwing the error? The error you got is a general .NET Framework error that programs written in .NET Framework can actually throw when running into issues and bugs. So it might have been some program that runs at startup or shortly after that was killed by MalwareBytes and thus was throwing this error message.

Bascially any .NET Framework written application will throw .NET Framework errors but that doesn't mean that .NET Framework is broken. Often the errors are application errors related to the program you are using. I have some kind of FTP downloader client that was written in .NET. It had a bug where when the server was offline it would crash and it would always throw an error like that .NET Framework error. If you look closer at the error message you could see lines about connection issues/timeout. I did a bug report with that error log and the issue was fixed next day.

It's just the way how .NET Framework handles errors and exceptions.

RE: Microsoft .NET Framework Conflict with MalwareBytes! - deanhills - 07-01-2020

(07-01-2020, 04:51 AM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: Could you see which program was throwing the error? The error you got is a general .NET Framework error that programs written in .NET Framework can actually throw when running into issues and bugs. So it might have been some program that runs at startup or shortly after that was killed by MalwareBytes and thus was throwing this error message.
Unfortunately "no". I was unable to check what program MalwareBytes was blocking, and unfortunately I re-installed MalwareBytes before thinking of checking first. Maybe when I install it again later on, I'll keep my eyes open for that.

In the meanwhile, I'm so relieved @"Hidden Refuge". This morning when I logged in, the message still didn't come up. So you're right. .NET Framework is hopefully OK and it's just the way it handled the error.