Post4VPS Forum | Free VPS Provider
Thoughts on my Portfolio? - Printable Version

+- Post4VPS Forum | Free VPS Provider (https://post4vps.com)
+-- Forum: Web Technology & Internet (https://post4vps.com/Forum-Web-Technology-Internet)
+--- Forum: Web Design & Projects (https://post4vps.com/Forum-Web-Design-Projects)
+--- Thread: Thoughts on my Portfolio? (/Thread-Thoughts-on-my-Portfolio)

Pages: 1 2

Thoughts on my Portfolio? - tbelldesignco - 09-21-2020

So... I've dropped a few times that I have been working on my portfolio and now things are migrated over and behaving well, I'd like to introduce my website for Tyler Bell Design Co. Please feel free to let me know if you see any mistakes or have any suggestions to make it better. Thanks!

https://tbelldesign.co

RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - Arkiven4 - 09-21-2020

Great Website , It is Mobile Friendly and Good Looking design. But My Suggestion, Try Compress Your Picture , maybe it is decrese the load time , and make your website faster. Are you using Wordpress Theme or DIY Theme , because looks like a lot of scripts are used in your website

RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - tbelldesignco - 09-21-2020

(09-21-2020, 03:20 PM)Arkiven4 Wrote: Great Website , It is Mobile Friendly and Good Looking design. But My Suggestion, Try Compress Your Picture , maybe it is decrese the load time , and make your website faster. Are you using Wordpress Theme or DIY Theme , because looks like a lot of scripts are used in your website

I am using a prebuilt theme for the moment until I can get the time to build a custom one. I will be migrating things over to my own CMS when I get that built and everything with it sorted out. Yeah the image is a PNG, I am going to go through and change it to a JPEG so it is a bit smaller of a file.

RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - Mashiro - 09-22-2020

So far so good. The blog shows a not found though. Maybe remove that item or change the page to something like "coming soon"? Load time needs to be improved a lot. Try lossless PNG compression or go for other image formats that are smaller (JPG with adjusted quality so it doesn't look like pixels but is still smaller than not compressed images).

Nothing that others didn't say already.

Is the merch real?

Also the news letter page says "By continuing, you accept the privacy policy" and where would the privacy policy be?

RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - tbelldesignco - 09-22-2020

I still have some work to do, I will get the privacy policy done and the merch is real! I will work on some compression, things are suppose to be cached to drop load time, but looks like some work still needs to be done on that front even. Thanks for the feedback!

RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - Arkiven4 - 09-23-2020

(09-21-2020, 03:39 PM)tbelldesignco Wrote: I am using a prebuilt theme for the moment until I can get the time to build a custom one. I will be migrating things over to my own CMS when I get that built and everything with it sorted out. Yeah the image is a PNG, I am going to go through and change it to a JPEG so it is a bit smaller of a file.

Yeah , Using Prebuilt Theme is not recomended for moderate user . Usually Prebuilt Theme is Like All in One Pack, So There are too many unused script (if The Feature is not enabled).And when i look your website , there are 1.6 MB CSS Loaded in your website , and look like it is so big (?)

RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - tbelldesignco - 09-23-2020

(09-23-2020, 03:14 AM)Arkiven4 Wrote:  Yeah , Using Prebuilt Theme is not recomended for moderate user . Usually Prebuilt Theme is Like All in One Pack, So There are too many unused script (if The Feature is not enabled).And when i look your website , there are 1.6 MB CSS Loaded in your website , and look like it is so big (?)

Yeah, I am working on a more custom solution for a theme, I have just been so busy with work I defaulted to a prebuilt one that I purchased and used for another client. Some of the excess CSS I believe is from the google fonts, but I am going to go through over the weekend and cull some of the excess scripts and minimize the CSS if I can.

Edit: So I have modified my mast image on the frontpage and even moved my fonts from Google Fonts to hosting the oft and ttf to the TBDC server. This will help load times keeping only the required font files on the server and minimizing fetching external resources.

RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - deanhills - 09-23-2020

(09-23-2020, 02:46 PM)tbelldesignco Wrote: Edit: So I have modified my mast image on the frontpage and even moved my fonts from Google Fonts to hosting the oft and ttf to the TBDC server. This will help load times keeping only the required font files on the server and minimizing fetching external resources.
Not sure how you can fix this, but following the edits the home page still takes a long time to download.

However, the page from "View Now" link loads lightening fast in comparison. The speed is there but there must be something that is running in the background of the home page that is causing the page to take a long time to download.

The rest looks great.  I like the conservative design of the page.  It has a feel of the Generator Press theme I've been using for my Word Press sites for a few years now.  It's not the same, but has a similar simplicity and minimalist and responsive design.  I started with the free Generate Press theme that was (and looks it is still available) at Wordpress.org - https://wordpress.org/themes/generatepress/.  I then purchased a whole range of plugins that were on offer for purchase three years ago for tweaking the design.  I notice that with the premium version a lot has changed, so I imagine it has got much more improved.

Since you are interested in developing a theme yourself, you may be interested to check out the author's Website and how he has set it up.

RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - tbelldesignco - 09-24-2020

Oh I think I figured out the load time issue, the background of the container is a parallax. I am going to remove it and see what we are working with. Also, yes! I used that theme when I was first starting off and found is very easy to build into, the theme I am using currently is Ohio, I bought it to use with a client site and they ended up not wanting to use it for their site, so I am using it for mine.

RE: Thoughts on my Portfolio? - Sn1F3rt - 09-25-2020

@tbelldesignco

Your portfolio looks great. Excellent design. Even though it's a prebuilt theme, it's nicely configured. Smile

Just a few things like broken links as HR pointed out, need a fix but other than that it's all good.