arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fix Intel GPU Tearing on Linux
I installed a Linux distribution with the LXQT (formerly known as LX'DE) desktop environment and the Openbox windows manager on my Intel system with a Intel HD 530 iGPU. Most, 99% of everything actually, works pretty well but in Firefox I noticed some really horrible vertical tearing. Well, that's actually not my first time with Linux and I have also used other DE and WM already and on pretty much all of them (also with various GPUs from Nvidia/AMD) I noticed horrible vertical tearing issues.

I mentioned before I have a Intel iGPU that came onboard on the Intel Core i5-6500. I use it instead of my old dedicated AMD RX 460 card because I no longer play any games on my computer (simply lack of time and GPU prices are expensive). I was already thankful enough that the Intel iGPU works so well (the RX 460 for example didn't support sound over HDMI which was a big no no for me because I only have speakers in my monitor). The tearing however was really annoying.

I performed some research online and found a very simple way to fix the tearing issue with Intel iGPUs on Linux distributions (should work on any I guess).

Step 1: Install the mesa utils on your system (i.e. sudo apt-get install mesa-utils if you're on anything like Debian/Ubuntu or something that is based on them and for other systems I recommend to check online).

Step 2: Create a folder called xorg.conf.d in /etc/X11 with the command:
sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

Step 3: Create a file called 20-intel.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d with the command:
sudo touch /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Step 4: Edit 20-intel.conf with a text editor of your choice and paste the following code into it:
Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "TearFree"     "true"
EndSection

Step 5: Save the file and restart your computer to apply the new settings.

That is all there is Smile . The tearing should be gone. It is for me atleast. Sorry for the bad formatting but I'm not much of a documentation writer.
I spoke to the devil in Miami, he said everything would be fine.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting