arrow_upward

Poll: What Control Panel do you like, and where do you stay at this moment?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I prefer cPanel and why ....
60.00%
I prefer DirectAdmin and why ....
0%
My current provider offer cPanel
40.00%
My current provider is switched to DirectAdmin
0%
I don't really care: Tell us why ....
0%
Total
5 vote(s)
100%

* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What you thinking of the switch from cPanel to DirectAdmin and your opinion of it.
As many people know that a lot of hosting providers have switched from cPanel to DirectAdmin or Plesk. I have checked many companies and they offered for changes to cPanel unlimited accounts for the resellers, since switching they now charge $ 0.75 per cpanel account. And they also moved to DirectAdmin. My personal opinion is that DirectAdmin is really a worthless control panel, but that is my opinion. I also tried DirectAdmin myself but the DirectAdmin did not work on the WHMCS due to an unknown error and / or reason. Which provider are you and do they still offer cPanel with an unlimited number of accounts or they now also ask you $ 0.75 for each account. Or are they balanced to DirectAdmin. Also tell us what you think of DirectAdmin and which you prefer, also useful for those who want to go back to cPanel from directadmin to recommend them a hosting company that offers cPanel. Are you comfortable with DirectAdmin, let me know what is better than in cPanel.
(09-08-2019, 05:41 PM)Pacific Spirit Wrote: Are you comfortable with DirectAdmin, let me know what is better than in cPanel.

Practically nothing. There's no cPanel comparison I find in the market. It's one of a kind. It's features are unique. It's interface is beyond comparison. WHM, AutoSSL, API, Tomcat integration, Python integration, ease of access... The list goes on.

I'll give you an example of a company that shifted to DirectAdmin after the cPanel price hike. It's GoogieHost. They used to provide free hosting in cPanel but after the price increase, their servers crashed. They requested for a non profit license but weren't granted one, so they shifted to DirectAdmin, which was their only choice in order to keep services economical. There's where I discovered DirectAdmin in depth. And that's where from I'm concluding this opinion of mine.

I agree with you Jordy that cPanel is much much superior to DirectAdmin. I won't call DirectAdmin worthless for that matter, as everything requires effort to be made, continued and regularly updated but yes, in comparison it's nowhere near cPanel.

I amnt a fool to classify things. I've my reasons for it. For instance, cPanel has everything bundled with the UI whereas a lot of the setups have to be done manually in shell, for DirectAdmin. Also, cPanel has an excellent documentation and a much broader and better forum community than DirectAdmin. cPanel has a million times better interface than DirectAdmin.

As far as the price is concerned, there comes a drawback of cPanel due to the recent significant price increase. However, it's my personal opinion that in cPanel your get what you pay for, not merely a bunch of codes flung at you for you to decipher and configure.

At last, I'd like to say that this is solely a personal opinion. I'm always open to disagreements. I know there will be people who disagree with me, with they're own valid reasons, so I'm looking forward to an interesting discussion.

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
(09-08-2019, 05:41 PM)Pacific Spirit Wrote: As many people know that a lot of hosting providers have switched from cPanel to DirectAdmin or Plesk. I have checked many companies and they offered for changes to cPanel unlimited accounts for the resellers, since switching they now charge $ 0.75 per cpanel account. And they also moved to DirectAdmin. My personal opinion is that DirectAdmin is really a worthless control panel, but that is my opinion. I also tried DirectAdmin myself but the DirectAdmin did not work on the WHMCS due to an unknown error and / or reason. Which provider are you and do they still offer cPanel with an unlimited number of accounts or they now also ask you $ 0.75 for each account. Or are they balanced to DirectAdmin. Also tell us what you think of DirectAdmin and which you prefer, also useful for those who want to go back to cPanel from directadmin to recommend them a hosting company that offers cPanel. Are you comfortable with DirectAdmin, let me know what is better than in cPanel.

It is interesting that you should bring it up @Pacific Spirit.  Can't but help but wonder whether DirectAdmin has been doing a massive marketing campaign as I've just received an opportunity from HostUs, a cheap VPS provider to get DirectAdmin for free!!!!  I'm not usually as lucky as this, but apparently they chose their users with UK IPs.
https://my.hostus.us/announcements/47/Fr...ostUS.html

I still have to respond though, as I'm hesitating. I'm knowledgeable about DirectAdmin to a certain degree, however it's a long time since I used it - 2016 - and I remember to get into how it worked was VERY frustrating.  However, once I understood how the tools fit together, I found it very easy to use.  I remember the biggest problem for me was the skins for DirectAdmin, in the end I went for the most basic one that came with the package.  DirectAdmin can be very clumsy and also VERY unforgiving to use.  Frihost.com, an old free hosting forum used to use it, and where it is unforgiving is when a user who has been away for a while does multiple attempts for trying to access his user account.  It almost immediately shuts the user down and suspends the account.  That worked out well for the Absentee Host and Admin of the Server, as those failed login attempts led to permanent suspensions, so the risk for infections for absentee hosts was minimized to a certain degree.

But, I haven't used DirectAdmin in such a long time, so maybe I should try it out again while I have the opportunity.  Only drawback of course is too that I'll then have to start my VPS from scratch again.  I've been quite happy with my VestaCP.  But I'd probably be a fool for not using DirectAdmin or at least try it out.  At the very least I should log into my HostUs Client Account to see how HostUs has incorporated the use of DirectAdmin in their client area.

Anyway,  I'm still running my "blog" all of these years since starting it in 2016.  With a Freenom domain no less. And it's still alive.  Tongue
http://directadminlessons.tk/blog/

This blog post is the most representative of all of my directadmin experiences when I was trying to get to grips with it.  It provides comparisons too with my cpanel experiences - aptly called: "My 36-hour DirectAdmin Ordeal":
http://directadminlessons.tk/wordpress-i...ur-ordeal/
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
I prefer cpanel.Directadmin is blamed for its "classic" interface,but now it is better with the new UI.

Ok,I admit that directadmin and cpanel shares the most features but cpanel is more convenient.

For example,when you want to access your database and mails,you need a manual login in directadmin but it is as simple as a click in cpanel.

Maybe some of you used byet's vistapanel.It resembles cpanel very much but it is no alternative.
VPS 3 Provided by Post4vps and Racknerd .

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting