arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just got a VPS with Ubuntu 14.04 installed to it. I need to install Virtualmin on it to set it up. But Virtualmin needs a host name associated with the VPS to get it installed. I already have a domain with NameCheap. How can I use it on the VPS and get Virtualmin installed ?
Please check your VPS panel,
there you will find everything what you need.
For changing Host name you can use below button.
[Image: ba649a6b38.JPG]
and change it to your desire Host name
OR
you also can check or change Hostname through terminal directly

Type following to check your vps's current Hostname
hostname -f

and type following to change your current vps's hostname to your desired Hostname(which i named yourdesiredhostname.com)
hostname yourdesiredhostname.com

I guess you must be knowing how to install Virtualmin.Then also if you having problem in installing it then you can view this tutorial - https://www.digitalocean.com/community/t...n-on-a-vps
 Administrator
admin@post4vps.com

Thank you @Dynamo

I will try the same. Which control panel do you suggest ? I see option to install cPanel in VPS control panel. Does VPS 1 offer free cPanel ?
(05-01-2016, 10:05 AM)meetdilip Wrote: Thank you @Dynamo

I will try the same. Which control panel do you suggest ? I see option to install cPanel in VPS control panel. Does VPS 1 offer free cPanel ?

i don't think that it provides free Cpanel, i guess it would be just providing 15 days trial.

My preferable free control panel would be VestaCP as it have many security features just like premium one.
 Administrator
admin@post4vps.com

(05-01-2016, 10:05 AM)meetdilip Wrote: Thank you @Dynamo

I suggest VestaCP or if your VPS is Centos you can use CWP for free control panel.
I asked on WHT. They say that CWP is not safe for it gives 777 permissions to certain files and folders.
(05-05-2016, 12:32 AM)meetdilip Wrote: I asked on WHT. They say that CWP is not safe for it gives 777 permissions to certain files and folders.

This is true, and the UI is just excruciatingly slow. It takes almost 5 seconds just to open a submenu, and CWP lacks many, many features that people would want (CentOS 7 compatibility, Let's Encrypt, better UI, etc etc etc).

Anyways, to set a hostname, you simply need to run the hostname command:

hostname yourdomain.tld

Or you can simply use Virtualizor, like @Dynamo said.
(05-01-2016, 07:36 AM)meetdilip Wrote: I just got a VPS with Ubuntu 14.04 installed to it. I need to install Virtualmin on it to set it up. But Virtualmin needs a host name associated with the VPS to get it installed. I already have a domain with NameCheap. How can I use it on the VPS and get Virtualmin installed ?

You must follow Dynamo's directions (I use the same method from control panel).
But don't forget to reboot your VPS after the modification because it will take effect only after it.
I use Virtualmin and once you get through installation process everything works great. Very little stuff need to be done and everything run smoothly. Another cool thing I love with you install along with Ubuntu is you can update OS through the control panel along with panel updates. If you got any errors while installing it post here I might able to help you to sort those.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting