arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Contabo Review
CONTABO REVIEW

Background
So in March 2019 while I was still in South Africa I got tempted by Contabo and signed up for the VPS below.  The temptation started at Gigarocket, whose owner went for Contabo in January.  I couldn't believe the fast speed, and the cheap prices, so thought to get the VPS below.

Here are the specs for the order I put in:

VPS S SSD
CPU: four cores
Intel® Xeon® E5-2620v3, E5-2630v4 or 4114 processor
8 GB RAM (guaranteed)
200 SSD GB disk space

Unlimited traffic
200 Mbit/s port
DDoS protection

Panel
VNC access
1 IP address included
/64 IPv6 network included
1 snapshot included

Source: https://contabo.com/?show=vps

OK if one checks the connection speed of 200 Mbit/s port then possibly it is slower than expected, but still, I think OK relative to the price one pays.  I took the VPS for a year, so the price was reduced - i.e. the installation charges were subtracted.  My average monthly cost worked out just under 6$/month.

Only frustration I had in the beginning is that nowhere in the application did they say a picture ID would be needed, and they only asked me for it AFTER I had signed up and paid for the VPS. Everything after that however worked great.  I feel I have a good VPS here.  Not an earth shattering VPS, but a good one for what I want to do with it.  Which is mostly Websites and blogging.  I think if one should want to use it for a game server, then maybe it will be too slow.  BUT, the guys at Contabo are very approachable, pride themselves in being available 24/7, so maybe one could always do a special deal with them to get a bigger connection speed.

Here are some important links for checking Contabo out:

Contabo VPS Plans
Contabo FAQs
Contabo TOS

About Contabo
One of the things that attracted me to Contabo is its interesting history.  Two friends in Germany started Contabo as a web host with shared hosting packages and dedicated servers in 2003. They called the company Giga International then. They then went international adding two huge data centres in Muenich and Nuerenberg through the years.  I'm almost certain they have a very strong network in the US too.  In 2013 they changed the name to Contabo.  Here is more technical information about their Data Centres:
https://contabo.com/?show=data_centers

Speed Test
Here is a speed test that I took today.  Not too fantastic, but also not bad either.  Like latency is above average excellent, showing that they're really great with their networking.  It's just the connection speed that is slower, but then that is probably in line with their stated objective of always providing products at discount prices.

[Image: 8404194184.png]

System Information

The System Information below was generated by the Hidden Refuge's Benchmark 2.0 Test.  Thank you to @"Hidden Refuge" for being so generous to continuously update and support it for us:

Processor: Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2630 v4 @ 2.20GHz
CPU Cores: 4
Frequency: 2199.996 MHz
Memory: 7821 MB
Swap: 0 MB
Uptime: 15 days, 1:25,

Speedtest (IPv4 only)

Location                Provider        Speed
CDN                     Cachefly        23.8MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          14.6MB/s
Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       13.8MB/s
Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       11.7MB/s
San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       11.4MB/s
Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       16.6MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          4.28MB/s
Singapore               Softlayer       7.58MB/s
Taiwan                    Hinet           6.50MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         23.5MB/s
Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        23.8MB/s

Disk Speed
I/O (1st run)   : 121 MB/s
I/O (2nd run)   : 108 MB/s
I/O (3rd run)   : 107 MB/s
Average I/O     : 112 MB/s

Control Panel
The VPS comes with a good Control Panel, not outstanding, but it has everything in it that one needs in one place.  The panel is a Contabo Panel, and fairly user friendly.  It provides all of the controls one needs for the VPS.

Usage
I purchased the VPS mostly because I thought I would get a fast Porche VPS wise.  A VPS 9 but at a Volkswagen price.  Turned out that the connection speed is what makes the VPS that otherwise has such fantastic specs, affordable.  I don't think the speed is slow however, I didn't get what I hoped for though - I thought I was going to get a VPS 9 spec VPS with VPS 9 speed.

I'm using the Contabo VPS mostly for my blogs, and possibly as such this was a little bit of a waste.  However, at least my curiosity about Contabo was satisfied.  I'm almost certain the owner of Gigarocket must have negotiated for a faster connection speed, as Gigarocket speed rocks and Gigarocket is on a Contabo server.  That's how I got interested in Contabo in the first place.

Things to improve
Well obviously the connection speed.  But then the price will probably have to be adjusted and the VPS would be completely unaffordable to me.  The Website is a bit archaic and the fonts maybe too small.  But that's just personal preference.  The Contabo Website is a great Website from an information point of view as it contains every bit of information that is needed to make an informed decision about Contabo before one decides to buy a VPS.  Except of course that a picture ID will be needed at the end of the sale.  Tongue

All in all the VPS handled very well.  I found it very responsive and fast.  Worth the price, but probably not really needed.  For those who want to use it as a games server.  I guess their expectation would probably be even bigger than mine was, and they may then be a little more disappointed than I was.  But then again as I suggested earlier on, one can easily negotiate with Contabo for higher connection speed, and it would be interesting if someone from post4vps should try and do that and see what the end result will look like.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  

Messages In This Thread
Contabo Review - by deanhills - 07-10-2019, 08:53 AM
RE: Contabo Review - by Manal - 07-10-2019, 02:42 PM
RE: Contabo Review - by deanhills - 07-11-2019, 02:35 AM
RE: Contabo Review - by chanalku91 - 07-11-2019, 03:55 AM
RE: Contabo Review - by deanhills - 07-12-2019, 01:52 PM
RE: Contabo Review - by chanalku91 - 07-13-2019, 04:10 AM
RE: Contabo Review - by tryp4vps - 07-15-2019, 05:43 AM
RE: Contabo Review - by Littlemaster - 07-11-2019, 09:12 AM
RE: Contabo Review - by Manal - 07-11-2019, 04:43 PM
RE: Contabo Review - by Melvin - 07-11-2019, 09:11 PM
RE: Contabo Review - by tiwil - 07-12-2019, 04:49 AM
RE: Contabo Review - by Manal - 07-12-2019, 01:56 PM
RE: Contabo Review - by sagher - 07-13-2019, 05:07 AM
RE: Contabo Review - by youssefbasha - 07-13-2019, 07:32 AM
RE: Contabo Review - by deanhills - 07-15-2019, 02:35 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
07-18-2021, 08:47 AM
Last Post: fChk
 Evolution Host  VPS 10 Review
05-31-2021, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Decent12
 Evolution Host  VPS 10 Review
05-31-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Decent12
 Host4Fun  VPS 1 Review
05-11-2021, 10:34 PM
Last Post: fChk
04-30-2021, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Sn1F3rt

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting