arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OpenVZ] Request tryout of a possible fix for network down due to NetworkManager
After my mistake on my VPS that requested @deanhills support I tried to emulate a OpenVZ environment on my local machine to figure out how get "Remote Desktop Access" technologies working on OpenVZ6.

My investigation started from the "workaround" provided by @"Hidden Refuge":

Issue: After installing a Desktop Environment the server will not survive the next reboot. I mean it will be unreachable (maybe stuck on booting), you can test it by pinging it: you will receive timeout.

Solution: Remove NetworkManager from the server immediately after the installation of the Desktop Environment.

What changes from the fix provided by @"Hidden Refuge" ? : Well, he named the use of SolusVM to reconfigure the network settings, instead on this attempt we will not need it. That means we can operate without creating troubles to the staff.

Step-by-Step guide to reproduce the fix, we will suppose the use of CentOS:
  1. Load on a VPS based on OpenVZ technology a template of CentOS 7
  2. Access to the container and set a root password:
    vzctl enter <ID>
    passwd root

1. Access via SSH and make sure the system is up to date with:

yum update

2. Enable epel repo

yum install epel-release -y

3. Install a DE, we will suppose XFCE

yum groupinstall "Xfce" -y

4. The following command didn't work for me (I had systemctl time out error), but try it:

systemctl mask NetworkManager

5. Try uninstalling NetworkManager

yum remove NetworkManager

Now rebooting, the VPS should survive. To check if the workaround was successful you can try pinging the VPS. (When pinging you can get as first attempt timeout because the OS is still booting!) 

I didn't want to try it directly on my VPS because I am scared to kill it again.

So, if a staff has some free time, can you test it on a actual VPS?
I just installed OpenVZ without any particular settings, I don't know if VPS providers uses magic settings.
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting