arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Development
(11-02-2020, 06:23 PM)tbelldesignco Wrote: This is so cool! I am getting some heavy Doom 64 vibes and I love that. I will give it a shot when I get home and could be able too test this on a Mac and Virtualized Windows.

The graphics are rendered the same way as the original Doom & Wolfenstein (it was open sourced years ago), so visually, yes,  it is very similar; however the gameplay is much different. It isn't an action game; it's more themed around exploration. There isn't anything to shoot or dodge, rather there's things to look at and puzzle over.

I've been working steadily for a couple weeks and made some huge strides in optimizing for performance. I'm exporting new  version for upload in just a few minutes. Most current build will be 0.6beta2. If you're up to it, you can check out the 0.5 and see the difference in performance; I'm fairly proud of it, especially after some people testing on mobile and achieving 60fps with maximum visual settings. The caveat of the performance gain, however, necessitates a complete rebuild of all the levels thus far completed, which I'm about 25% through with. The benefit of the redesign allows me to take another look at all the levels I've made thus far and make a few improvements while going through the process. The 0.5version allows you to proceed much further in the game, but it may be slow or choppy in comparison.

The 0.6version introduced several new options which I'm pretty excited about: I've added a light layer, shading to simulate depth (needs some work as it looks very dark on some mobile devices) cpu throttle (for low end devices to make it playable, the only way my phone will run it) and even enhanced graphics mode (you can switch between 32x32 tiles and 64x64 tiles); all of which can be turned on and off to allow for the best possible performance on devices of varying specifications. 

I'll appreciate any input you care to share, positive or negative; just remember it's still very much a work in progress: there's going to be bugs and it needs a lot of polish.

I also created a playlist on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...lWkFo_eIEu and have been uploading a few videos of my work in progress to help gather more feedback and demonstrate new features, if anyone wants to take a look.

[edit]
As a side note, I'd like to add that when creating this thread, I had hoped it would be a win/win. I would get some quality feedback to help me build better games, and the community would have an opportunity to make good feedback/reviews/suggestions to increase their monthly post count and keep their vps on a topic they are (hopefully) interested in.

However, I'm concerned that it's becoming a thread where people just post "I'll check it out later" without offering any content that is meaningful for me or a valuable, quality post for the community. It was never my intention to spawn a spam thread. If this trend continues, I won't be the least bit offended if the moderators choose to delete it/lock it/move it to general where the posts don't count towards monthly requirements. Thank you Smile

Messages In This Thread
Game Development - by fitkoh - 10-24-2020, 09:37 PM
RE: Game Development - by Honey - 10-25-2020, 05:12 AM
RE: Game Development - by tbelldesignco - 11-02-2020, 06:23 PM
RE: Game Development - by fitkoh - 11-02-2020, 07:52 PM
RE: Game Development - by hamed - 04-28-2021, 08:13 AM
RE: Game Development - by Sn1F3rt - 04-30-2021, 11:26 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting