arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cyberpanel + webmin = fastest web server ever
(12-16-2020, 07:19 AM)fChk Wrote:
@fitkoh

How's "Server1 sql + webmin" doing RAM-wise?.. I would guess that swapping has already kicked in?.. But it should help to have that NVMe-based SSD storage :-)

On the other-hand do you really need webmin or is just consuming resources --especially RAM in this case-- for things that can be done at the command-line ?

Last point, how are you monitoring your systems?

It is swapping some but not bad, and not really not noticeable from a performance standpoint.

Although now that you mention it, I wonder if I could improve performance by adjusting swappiness.

Webmin, in terms of ram usage is very minimal; about 20mb.  It's also very easy to turn off from the command line, when it isn't needed. While webmin is not strictly required, and I've indeed left it off for days at a time, it's very useful in the situations that could arise. What are those situations? Could be a lot of things. Changing permissions. Creating users. Editing config files for...? If I wanted to add a webserver to the system, having webmin would allow me to perform the operation without googling specific terminal commands. I like it for the easy way to monitor traffic/load/resource consumption/logs. All of these things can be done by the command line, but webmin makes it easier.

Here is what memory usage looks like after $/etc/init.d/webmin stop
free -m
             total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            481         174          62           0         244         294
Swap:           511         176         335

(edit)Looks like it's closer to 50mb for webmin, it definitely caches a bit better when webmin is off.(/edit)

Cyberpanel is also built with tools to monitor disk/bandwidh consumption, and real-time cpu/memory/drive usage, easy way to monitor traffic/access logs. It isn't quite as light as webmin, but still very fast.

For uptime I use statuscake.com - a simple uptime service that monitors up to 10 sites for free; I've scheduled checks for every 15 minutes.

I try to check on my solusvm panels once a day, but to be fair I miss a day here and there, just in case something slipped by somewhere else. I've heard stories of people losing a terabyte in band a day from ddos; thus far I've been able to stay well within my package limits according to what solus is telling me.

[edit] I started thinking not just about what you were asking, but also why you were asking. That line of thought led me to look if statuscake had a status window for sites monitored. And it does, but it's a paid feature. So I went for uptimerobot and made a status window: https://uptime.surprising.design <--the uptimes will look stellar since these are new monitors Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: cyberpanel + webmin = fastest web server ever - by fitkoh - 12-18-2020, 10:51 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
05-09-2021, 07:46 PM
Last Post: deanhills

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting