arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to fix mysql errors in phpmyadmin when importing a database
This wasn't easy and I never thought it would happen. But I made it in the end.  PhpBB is already difficult to upgrade, but the challenge was that it was simultaneously an upgrade from php 5.4 to 7.3.  Plenty of 500 errors.  Blank pages.

[Image: ZMZyz4H.png]
[Image: IijPzLO.png]

Important Notes:

1. phpBB Version 3 requires a minimum of php 7.3 upwards. With no compromise. It makes it into a challenge for updating the database that was created in an php 5.4 environment.  Also the config.php was created in a php 5.4 environment.

2. There were two secret tools that helped to bale me out of blank pages and 500 errors.  The Purge Cache in the ACP (General Tab), and deleting the Production Folder in the Cache Folder repeatedly in between steps.  

3. The updates are very sensitive about extensions.  I went with the suggestion to just disable them, but that was not enough.  It's better to completely remove them from the ACP Customization Tab before the upgrade is started.  This was my greatest stumbling block during the upgrade.  In the end after the upgrade and plenty of 500 errors I had to go into the Database and empty the phpbb_ext table - truncate it (praying while I was doing that) and remove all of the extensions in the Extension folder.  Then repeatedly emptied the Cache Folder.  It finally worked out.  

4. I Googled a config.php format for the upgraded 3.3 version, with the important extension mysqli (instead of just mysql).  Before I started the upgrade.

The upgrade from 3.2 to 3.3 gives a choice of an Automatic Update Package or a Full Install package.  I tried the automatic update package first because it looked the easier of the 2 and that didn't work.  I then went for the Full Install which basically involved deleting all of the files and folders except for extension/images/files and config.php. Then downloading the latest script, unpacking it and deleting the extension/images/files and config.php files.  Then uploading it to the root of the Forum.

There were plenty of errors that came up that I sorted out one by one.  One was the mysqli extension and with the cpanel it was awesome to get those sorted out straight away.  Then finally I arrived at being able to update the database only, and got happy until one of the tables didn't make it and I had to Google that again, and massage it into place.  So in the process learned to work with tables in the database.

Anyway, if one is patient and determined as I was, there are plenty of support requests that helped me. And what really helped was cpanel and how it set up up for my hosting account.  It's an amazing tool. 

Forum is now on the up to date version.  Up to date php.  In case I should ever refer back to this post, the following is a summary of the upgrade steps for phpBB:

1. Make a thorough backup of the Forum and Database

2. ACP: disable and remove extensions, reset default style to prosilver, ensure language is UK English. Purge cache.

3. Delete all folders with the exception of Extensions/Images/Files and config.php

4. Download up to date script - extract files and delete extensions, images, files folders and config.php.  Upload to root of Forum.  

5. Visit domain.com/install

6. Then follow prompts - hopefully this time without any errors to work through

7. Don't forget to delete install folder and if any issues with 500 error or blank page go into Cache folder and delete production and install folders inside the cache folder.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
lockThread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to fix mysql errors in phpmyadmin when importing a database - by deanhills - 11-29-2020, 07:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
11-27-2020, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Rehan
10-07-2020, 07:33 PM
Last Post: deanhills
10-12-2019, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Rzarcasm

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting