arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Expirience After using linux for 1 month
Hello guys

recently i make a switch to linux on the desktop . the reason is that i use another pc with a broken hard drive . it will hang and not booting to os if i use the hard drive so instead i install linux on a flashdrive and linux is really small and boot from the flash drive. i use ubuntu server and install gui on top of that hoping that it will be much lightweigter . i use lxde for my desktop environment and now i dont need to go back to windows

-First Impression
i use linux before but the think that i noticed is how it have lot more free ram compared to windows . 2GB of ram does feel like a lot in linux than in windows . when i use 2gb of ram in windows it feel like a torture but in linux it is much better . the lxde gui lack some feature like snapping but who cares it is very light weight . and the system work flawlessly . no kernel panic or any crashes so far

-Application
if you are unaware the most lacking feature on linux is the application well for me it isnt really a problem . im not really do any gaming and content creating right now and most thing that i use is web browser , text editor , programming ide , networking tools , etc . and most application that isnt available on linux i cant get a replace for example i can get a replacement for spotify . i use spotify web player on linux and also i use notepadqq . the notepad++ alternative for linux . for download manager i use XDM . it is an IDM clone .  and what is great with linux it come with ssh bulit in that mean i dont need to use putty and typing ssh in terminal is actually easier than using putty . and also there are a lot of cli based thing . not all is gui but who cares . i can use cli

-Performance
the performance is really grate except when the cpu usage suddenly go to 100% and the mouse get very laggy (but not crash . the system is still responding but slow) and the ram usage is really great . if you have a low ram computer and whan to bring it to life install linux on it . it does make lot of difference . and i can say that linux is Windows XP replacement for old pc that consume around same amount of ram and still supported

-Can it replace windows
back then before i learn how to use linux i always use windows server for my vps but after i learn linux it make lot of sense . linux server is cheaper and much flexible and costumizeable . and also very lightweight and because of that i get to the conclusion that i will not use windows on all of my server but foor my desktop i still use windows . when i try the linux desktop experience i feel the same thing . but not as much as a server . i still need some windows exclusive app like visual studio but i can do that using virtual machine (probably not now because i only have 2g of ram) . so for my next pc onward i think i will use linux . so it still cannot totally replace but i can live with linux

-do i reccomend linux?
if you are newbie to computer i didnt reccomend it but if you have some experience espesically with linux vps well i reall reccomend it . the cli command is the same as that you use in the linux vps

Thanks for seeing my thread . what is your opinion? comment below
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
I'm with you in all points you said above, but i'm against you in prefering Linux for newbies to computer, windows will be more easier to newbies since it's more populer between people but Linux is populer because for coders,hackers,vps,etc. Nice thread anyway.
 - Thanks to Post4VPS & Host4Fun for the amazing VPS 1 -
Welcome to the Linux World!

You are right that Linux, in general, is more stable than Windows. I have also been using Ubuntu desktop for quite a few years.

im an fulltime linux fan.

1. easy and compatible with everything. even runs on 32mb ram (openvz virtualization required) and on dedicated instances 128 mb.
2. security is easier to handle.
3. way more reliable/stable then windows in meaning of application deployment.
4. less ways to get into the system then an password or sha key. (windows kon boot to skip login or like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_JIhn3vJVI)
5. console is my favorite way to manage my server and an web gui for website.
6. linux is opensource and ALWAYS free except "enterprise" level things i still dont know what the diffrence are.
7. linux is expandable. not depended.
8. great alternatives for everything if you hate apple/windows.
9. great compatibility to windows applications with wine or etc.
10. you wont get dissapointed that much.
(09-21-2017, 09:05 AM)perryoo11 Wrote: im an fulltime linux fan.

1. easy and compatible with everything. even runs on 32mb ram (openvz virtualization required) and on dedicated instances 128 mb.
2. security is easier to handle.
3. way more reliable/stable then windows in meaning of application deployment.
4. less ways to get into the system then an password or sha key. (windows kon boot to skip login or like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_JIhn3vJVI)
5. console is my favorite way to manage my server and an web gui for website.
6. linux is opensource and ALWAYS free except "enterprise" level things i still dont know what the diffrence are.
7. linux is expandable. not depended.
8. great alternatives for everything if you hate apple/windows.
9. great compatibility to windows applications with wine or etc.
10. you wont get dissapointed that much.

I can't agree more with you. Currently my PC has an issue and I can't fix it due to school is coming next Sunday so before that I was using Ubuntu Live, it was running smoothly even my PC issued also it was fast and useful. I used it for almost 3 months and I liked it.
I've been using Linux few times. Once I had it for few months and only problem was that I needed sometimes Windows apps and not all of them works well with Wine. Also I used Linux to recover files from disk with dead Windows 7.
(09-23-2017, 06:12 AM)kubanek_kuba Wrote: I've been using Linux few times. Once I had it for few months and only problem was that I needed sometimes Windows apps and not all of them works well with Wine. Also I used Linux to recover files from disk with dead Windows 7.

linux is a prety good to to recover.
I like linux as its easy for use but i don't support it for a beginner as windows will be helpful and good for the beginners, i started using linux from 2 weeks and i liked it Big Grin
I do know that linux is better than windows and OSX, but since you almost never have a compatibility issue with windows I always am a windows user.
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
It is nearly impossible for the Linux to replace Windows. Linux is mostly preferred for servers, while Windows is for working environment, easier for any person using even for first time.
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
10-30-2019, 12:12 PM
Last Post: hamed
05-06-2017, 01:25 PM
Last Post: humanpuff69

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting