arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHM/cpanel - Where does DNS settings for local host originate
Apologies in advance if this inquiry is junior.  I'd like to get a handle on exactly where the DNS settings for local host originate and is created in WHM/cpanel.

Why I ask is that yesterday I replaced the host domain of WHM with a different domain.  The previous domain had changed its name servers and we were unable to get it fixed.  So this morning I've been spending lots of time comparing the DNS Zones of the two name server IPs.  The old one and the new one.  The old nameserver DNS zone has many records that the new one doesn't have.  The one that has me curious for now is local host as there is no DNS record for local host in the new domain DNS zone.  Like is there possibly another place in the WHM configuration where one has to configure the local host which then will automatically add the new local host record in the new domain DNS zone?   Or is this a manual setting and one always has to edit the DNS Zone of a new name server to add the local host record?

Other differences between the old and new domain zones are the old domain DNS zone has NS records for all four of the name servers.  The new domain DNS zone doesn't have any NS records for the four name servers.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Try /var/named/domain.com.db where domain.com.db would be the domain that you added. Alternatively just run ls -lha /var/named | grep .db to see all possible zone files.

This is from a thread on cPanel Forum from 2009 -> https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/what-i...ile.48074/

So beware it might not be up to date anymore and the zone files might be stored somewhere else.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
(01-08-2019, 10:58 AM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: So beware it might not be up to date anymore and the zone files might be stored somewhere else.
Thanks for the tip HR.  Much appreciated.  Cool

You're right of course - especially for WHM/cpanel 2009 is light years ago.  Last night when I was Googling the documentation WHM makes a distinction in their documentation with the cpanel version because of how many versions there are - like we're in the mid seventies now. But thanks for the info, I'll check through it all.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
09-11-2018, 05:31 AM
Last Post: Amresh
01-09-2018, 01:48 PM
Last Post: TimeRider
06-19-2017, 10:42 AM
Last Post: OldMeister

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting