arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storing data in DNA?!
Hello,

[Image: hello-data-dna-storage-atcg-automation-s...60x540.jpg]

So recently I was watching a youtube video, and they talked about new stuff revealed by Apple/Microsoft and along with several interesting announcements, they talked about Microsoft showing off their tech which supposedly stores data in DNA, and they can store tons of data in a relatively tiny amount of DNA due to high storage density.

The read/write speed is very very slow right now, they were just able to decode and read 40 bits of data from one full day of execution.

What do you guys think about this tech and its importance in the future? I personally was quite amazed soemthing like this was even possible and It kind of broadens my expectations for the future!

Sources:

https://hexus.net/tech/news/storage/1288...al-system/
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research...a-storage/
https://news.microsoft.com/innovation-st...a-storage/
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
non destructive reading and writing at usable [read currently possible in commercial products] speed is going to take decades at least.
Also I suppose it will be an archival storage first than a system for regular use. cause i have no idea how they are going to handle random access in a fast and efficient manner.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
is that even possible to storm data using DNA ?wow what really so no use of storage devices anymore just using dna samples can make logic of storing devices even though its a great idea anyway hope this come's true!
thank you post4vps and  racknerd for wonderful vps3  Heart

(03-26-2019, 07:48 AM)rudra Wrote: non destructive reading and writing at usable [read currently possible in commercial products] speed is going to take decades at least.
Also I suppose it will be an archival storage first than a system for regular use. cause i have no idea how they are going to handle random access in a fast and efficient manner.

What you are saying is correct, that is why this tech is only aimed for future usage, as mentioned in the thread they were only able to process 40 bits after one full day of execution
This is really interesting.

I guess one day we will be able to store our ID and 'digital wallet' inside our DNA. Then when we buy things we will just need to pay by the wallet in our DNA.

But of course, the data read/write speed needs to be improved first.

Well I am scared of that future @tryp4vps since that would be the government and others would be really technologically advanced and they can indentify us with a blink of an eye. To be honest sounds like Orwellian future to me..
No one knows what the future holds, that's why its potential is infinite
(03-26-2019, 09:49 PM)Kururin Wrote: Well I am scared of that future @tryp4vps since that would be the government and others would be really technologically advanced and they can indentify us with a blink of an eye. To be honest sounds like Orwellian future to me..

ahaha, there are those are interested with new tech, and those who are afraid of it, I guess having suspicion is good, but we should not be 'scared' of it just because how it 'could' be used, keep in mind those who want to know information regarding you can already know it in this day and age with the click of a button, so this tech may not introduce that much of a danger, but will open new ways and allow break throughs in the field of storage. That is mainly why Microsoft is investing so much R&D into this.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting