arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Windows 7 / Windows 2012 server discussion
Right now I'm doing an experiment on Windows 7 and WIndows 2012 trying to find which is best for using software under vmware. This is not a thread asking for  support or reviewing the provider. Just want to create a discussion about Windows servers so we can keep record information to used as a reference for anyone who need it.

I have deployed both servers and installed Firefox on both. Then restarted the servers. Here how both shows in control panel

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11]

So that's after installing Firefox. Im going to install social software in both and see how it effect the RAM and CPU. I will post stats from task manager once I install it in both.

One of the usual problems are Windows 2012 License problem. It would be interesting here if there are any methods to get 90-120 day activation. Windows 7 template seems doesn't have this problem.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=12]

Now I have installed Firefox and Social media bot in Windows 7 VPS and for some strange reason RAM usage is stuck around 1.55 GB. It doesn't matter if these applications are closed or option it stays around this. Of course it increases when I start using these applications but never decreases even when I close those all.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=13]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

definitely windows server 2012 is better then windows 7 in server/hosting purposes. And for activating trial license try to run cmd console as admin then put the following command

slmgr.vbs /rearm
or
slmgr -rearm

It will activate 120 days trial license(maybe i am wrong as i never tried it on a windows server 2012 the last OS i tested it on was windows 7 SP1 X64).
[Image: a3ad5cfbf5.png]
[Image: trk1]
(01-28-2016, 02:00 PM)TrK Wrote: definitely windows server 2012 is better then windows 7 in server/hosting purposes. And for activating trial license try to run cmd console as admin then put the following command

slmgr.vbs /rearm
or
slmgr -rearm

It will activate 120 days trial license(maybe i am wrong as i never tried it on a windows server 2012 the last OS i tested it on was windows 7 SP1 X64).

If I am correct, you can only use that command a few times? Correct me if I'm wrong.

For those who are both students and are eligible for signing up at Dreamspark: Windows 2008 and 2012 are FREE for educational usages.
@ TrK : Thanks for the suggestion. I will test that soon.

I have updated the post with Windows 7 RAM usage. It's strange why it stay stuck at 1.55+ GB even when nothings running. Maybe it's the vmware.

(01-28-2016, 04:41 PM)RickB Wrote: If I am correct, you can only use that command a few times? Correct me if I'm wrong.

For those who are both students and are eligible for signing up at Dreamspark: Windows 2008 and 2012 are FREE for educational usages.

Dreampark is great but some of us are not eligible to take that package from dreamspark. You are right that these commands will only work three times that means you can renew your trial license three time. I am sure you guys will find a way to block KMS service to not get license warning after third trial expires.

(01-28-2016, 04:57 PM)xdude Wrote: I have updated the post with Windows 7 RAM usage. It's strange why it stay stuck at 1.55+ GB even when nothings running. Maybe it's the vmware.

Try to boot it in safe mode if the usage remains same then you will need to reinstall it. For boot in safe mode you can do that from msconfig.exe.
[Image: a3ad5cfbf5.png]
[Image: trk1]
Today I couldn't do anything because the connection was slow. and from the 2, Windows 7 was really slow to respond. Windows was little bit faster. I will try what TrK suggested tomorrow.

I have tried to do the Windows reactivation but i got an error. This is something important to learn. Getting Windows Trial activated in a vps. No budget provider provide Windows license.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=14]

Looks like you can do it only with evaluation edition and what we have it the standard edition.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
04-28-2019, 07:30 PM
Last Post: deanhills
09-25-2018, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Rehan

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting