arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do we fully use Google?
Most of us here in Post4VPS forum is using Google as our primary search engine, but the question is... are we really using the full potential of the google search engine?

Here's how..

Google has become the icon of the internet. This search engine has so thoroughly transformed navigation of the internet that its name has become a verb. Yet most people do not know how to use this tool to its fullest extent. This tutorial focuses on the advanced commands available on Google.

For readability's sake I put search terms inside of <> aside from having it in bold text. So entering free vps into the search field in google will appear in this FAQ as <free vps>.

"quotes" - The simplest advanced command is the quotation. Google's engine typically ignores word order. Searching for <X Y Z A B C> will return about the same results as <Y B Z C X A>. The results will be slightly different because of how google searches its servers, but it will still look for sites containing these elements regardless of order. Entering <"X Y Z A B C"> will search only for sites containing the string X Y Z A B C, with all elements included, in that order, one after the other.

"site" - Sometimes you will want to search a site that does not have a search function. Don't worry, google will come to the rescue. In order to search for the string free on post4vps.com, simply enter

<"free" site:[b]post4vps.com>[/b]. No http:// or anything like that is required, just <search terms site:URL>. Don't forget the ":" between "site" and the url.

"filetype" - Just as you can use google to search on a particular site, you can use google to search for a specific file type. For example to search for PDF files on Intel products search for <Intel filetype:PDF>. The format for this search is <search terms filetype:extention>. Extentions do not require "." before them. To search for, let's say, a daa file - search <search terms filetype:daa>.

*NOTE* - Google does not go all-out to index every file type. Searches for anything other than .pdf, .ps, .doc, .xls, .ppt, or .rtf (those listed in advanced search under file type) will not return vary many results.

"inurl" - Searches the URL of a site rather than its contents. To search for sites with vps related url's - enter <inurl: vps>. This can be used in conjunction with other searches. For example, <free inurl: vps> will search for sites with url's containing vps for text containing free.

Similar to this is the "allinurl" command . This will allow the user to search for more than one word in a url. The search <inurl: free vps> will behave like the search above, and <allinurl: free vps> will search for both vps and free in a site's url.

"intext" - The "intext" command searches the actual text of a website rather than its tags. It can get annoying when you search for a word/phrase find a promising website then find out that what you searched for is not actually on the site. The intext command solves this. The related allintext works in the same way as allinurl.

".." - The ".." command searches for ranges. For example searching for any GPU in GeForce's 8 series can be challenging, so you can input [b]<GeForce 8500..8800>[/b] to get results of any Geforce from the 8500 to the 8850.

*NOTE* - This search will also search for 8501, 8502... It does not (to my knowledge) allow for increment.
"~" - Including a tilde in front of a word searches for that word and its synonyms. For example a search for <~angry> will search for angry, mad, furious, etc.

In the right hands Google can be one of the internet's most powerful tools. Knowing exactly what google can do will make finding exactly what you want much easier.

Credits to hmx_ryan of Symbianize for the original post, I change some words to suits for Post4VPS Community.
Great tutorial, thanks.

I'd like to add that we can use Google to convert currencies, measurements, etc.
Here is how, for example:
you have to search for
1 eur in usd
And the result: 1 Euro =1.1141 U.S. dollars
You can also use Google as calculator, just type what you want to count in search bar.
Link u hmx_ryan?
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
Let me contribute,Google has "Search by image" feature, not many people are aware of this tool provided by Google, it let you find similar/indentical images on the internet (incase someone is using a popular fake image and claiming it as own, you can quickly perform a image search by uploading it to Google servers)

"Google Reverse Search lets you search by images instead of keywords. Upload a picture from your desktop, tablet or mobile phone, and Google will show all the other web pages on the Internet that have similar images."

https://images.google.co.in

It also have a remote url function which is my primary choice. Go catch a fake!
(08-08-2016, 05:15 AM)Honey Wrote: Link u hmx_ryan?

Nope, I'm not I'm just sharing this also for others to know.

(08-08-2016, 11:42 AM)ChairmanSaab Wrote: Let me contribute,Google has "Search by image" feature, not many people are aware of this tool provided by Google, it let you find similar/indentical images on the internet (incase someone is using a popular fake image and claiming it as own, you can quickly perform a image search by uploading it to Google servers)

"Google Reverse Search lets you search by images instead of keywords. Upload a picture from your desktop, tablet or mobile phone, and Google will show all the other web pages on the Internet that have similar images."

I used that also for searching images that I don't know what called.
(09-02-2016, 12:40 PM)Vuluts Wrote:
(08-08-2016, 05:15 AM)Honey Wrote: Link u hmx_ryan?

Nope, I'm not I'm just sharing this also for others to know.

(08-08-2016, 11:42 AM)ChairmanSaab Wrote: Let me contribute,Google has "Search by image" feature, not many people are aware of this tool provided by Google, it let you find similar/indentical images on the internet (incase someone is using a popular fake image and claiming it as own, you can quickly perform a image search by uploading it to Google servers)

I used that also for searching images that I don't know what called.

yeah that's what I meant, I didn't notice any credits to the main creater so thats why I was a bit dissatisfied, kindly credit him as well.
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
(09-03-2016, 09:42 AM)Honey Wrote: yeah that's what I meant, I didn't notice any credits to the main creater so thats why I was a bit dissatisfied, kindly credit him as well.

I think ryan is not active anymore but credit fo him was now been added in the post,
Yes, Google helps a lot in finding the correct matched data and it is the world's top search engine.
Google can help you in lot of things, for example, translation from one language to another [Like English to Francais], if you do like "1 USD to Indian Rupee" it will tell you, it can be used for searching images [ images.google.com ], also most of us know Google mail or gmail. So it depends on what you need google for.
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
08-08-2016, 06:38 AM
Last Post: Tongy

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting