Post4VPS Forum | Free VPS Provider
Virmach [OpenVZ 6] VPS 9 Review | VirMach Buffalo Location - Printable Version

+- Post4VPS Forum | Free VPS Provider (https://post4vps.com)
+-- Forum: VPS Discussion (https://post4vps.com/Forum-VPS-Discussion)
+--- Forum: VPS Reviews (https://post4vps.com/Forum-VPS-Reviews)
+--- Thread: Virmach [OpenVZ 6] VPS 9 Review | VirMach Buffalo Location (/Thread-Virmach-OpenVZ-6-VPS-9-Review-VirMach-Buffalo-Location)

[OpenVZ 6] VPS 9 Review | VirMach Buffalo Location - LightDestory - 10-29-2019

Hi all, recently VirMach announced the upgrade of their OpenVZ nodes to KVM technologies, so I through that this would be the right time to make my review about my current VPS 9 from Buffalo by VirMach .

======================================
Short introduction
I have started using this VPS since September 2019. I choose VPS 9 from all the other VPSes available during September's giveaway mainly for two reasons:
  1. I was a newly member so my chance to win the other VPSes was really little due to my low credits and VPS 9 winning conditions is different compared to standard VPSes, in fact my request was for VPS 18 and VPS 9, so you should know how it ended.
  2. Let's be clear, VPS 9 is very powerful: a lot of RAM, fast and huge SSD storage and two logical core a 2.20GHz and TOS that are not so restricting. For my needs as developer VPS 9 seemed like a heaven.
Review

To talk about this VPS first we need to know it! So let's start listing the specs of this amazing and powerful VPS:
=========================
Specifications
Disk Space: 100 GB SSD
RAM: 8 GB
IP Addresses: 1x IPv4 & 3 IPv6**
Virtualization: OpenVZ
Monthly Traffic: 4 TB
Control Panel: No CP for the Holder
Connection: 1Gbps
** This information was taken from the official VPS Plans listing but currently on the actual VPS there isn't any IPv6.
I have already reported this to the staff here, let's wait for their response.

Benchmark
Before writing my experience and though about this VPS let's see the results of the Post4VPS's benchmark script by @sohamb03:
===============
System Info
Code:
Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 0 @ 2.20GHz
CPU Cores : 2
Frequency : 2200.192 MHz
Memory : 8192 MB
Swap : 0 MB
Uptime : 19 days, 1:46
OS    : CentOS Linux 7 (Core)
Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)
Kernel : 2.6.32-042stab127.2
Hostname : *JUST A NORMAL HOSTNAME*
===============
Speedtest (IPv4 only)
Code:
Location        Provider Speed

CDN        Cachefly 13.0MB/s
Atlanta, GA, US        Coloat 908KB/s
Dallas, TX, US        Softlayer 36.5MB/s
Seattle, WA, US        Softlayer 21.7MB/s
San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer 23.3MB/s
Washington, DC, US        Leaseweb 13.0MB/s
Sao Paulo, Brazil               Softlayer 14.3MB/s
Singapore        Softlayer 664KB/s
Taiwan                          Hinet           5.21MB/s
Tokyo, Japan        Linode 12.2MB/s
Nuremberg, Germany        Hetzner 2.55MB/s
Rotterdam, Netherlands        id3.net 16.3MB/s
Haarlem, Netherlands        Leaseweb 45.8MB/s
Milan, Italy        Softlayer 16.3MB/s
Melbourne, AU        Softlayer 7.62MB/s
===============
Disk Speed
Code:
I/O (1st run) : 497 MB/s
I/O (2nd run) : 542 MB/s
I/O (3rd run) : 485 MB/s
Average I/O : 508 MB/s

My experience
I am a developer so after winning the VPS I wanted to start setting up my own environment, unfortunately I started my experience with the find-out of the OpenVZ's limitation with available OS. I wanted to use Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS but it wasn't available, the latest usable distro is 16.04 that has already reached EOL. I switched to CentOS 7 and successful started setting up the environment: nginx, php, mysql, firewall, securing ssh, ect...
Soon after I met another issue: OpenVZ configuration conflicts with Network Manager when trying to install remote desktop environment.
After that I discovered that one of the most famous container environment as Docker isn't well supported with the custom kernel provided by OpenVZ's developers.
Since then my VPS has been happily running my services without any issue and downtime.
As said by the staff, VPSes 9 are unmanaged ones, if you know how use unix-like OS you are ready to go. You can live together with the limitations listed above and you can find workaround and fixes for some of them.
You can see the on-going on the VPS following my domain: lightdestory's site

Conclusion
I will not write a lot as conclusion because VirMach already announced the upgrade from OpenVZ to KVM technologies so my some of the issue said above will be likely fixed.
But here some important point:
  • VPS 9 will be remain UNMANAGED: you need to know what are you doing;
  • VPS 9 doesn't come with Control Panel, so for particular actions you will need staff's support;
I suggest VPS 9 to everyone that HAS A DISCRETE KNOWLEDGE OF LINUX and needs a powerful machine and a lot of resources, currently it has some limitation due to OpenVZ but as soon as my VPS will switch over KVM I will write here or on a new post a new review with the new hardware and performance.

RE: [OpenVZ 6] VPS 9 Review | VirMach Buffalo Location - Sn1F3rt - 10-29-2019

Very well written review @LightDestory. And thanks for using the Benchmarking Script, good to know that it's working and also, to see it in action.

Also, I was pleased to know that things are working out so well for you. BTW Good website. For me, TBH things haven't been so amazing since I've won this VPS, I mean everything was alright when my Vesta port was desperately DDoSed from Russian IPs continuously for a period of nearly a week, which corrupted some of my custom system files and I'd to request an OS reinstall to deal with it. Since then, yes things are alright and I'm back into developing further the custom theme for VestaCP.

I'll give my review after the KVM migration. I thought I'd writing the review this month's end, but after Virmach's announcement, I changed my mind.

Well again congratulations for writing such a wonderful review and hope things go on this great as it's been for you. Smile

Regards,

RE: [OpenVZ 6] VPS 9 Review | VirMach Buffalo Location - Kururin - 10-31-2019

That sounds like a really good VPS. With good specs and good location also. Can't really ask for more except the woes of OpenVZ. I think that will be solved soon with the upgrade to KVM. Although I wanted to get a VPS 9 I still can't get used to the no control panel thing. I need to have that or else no matter how lucrative that is. I need the "control" essentially over the VPS.

RE: [OpenVZ 6] VPS 9 Review | VirMach Buffalo Location - tryp4vps - 10-31-2019

Nice review @LightDestory. I am glad to know that you enjoy your VPS 9. So do I.

And I am sure you will soon love your VPS 9 even more. Because my VPS 9 has been running very smooth after the KVM migration.

P.S.: your own domain website is indeed very cool. Smile