arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspberry Pi 4 IS NOW AVAILABLE!
The title says it all.

But the question is if cheap mechanisms like Raspberry Pi can be used to host websites, why are there datacenters? I mean, big machines and whatnot. Let's talk about resources.

What can we do with a 2 GB RAM based Raspberry Pi computer? Can I host a website? And what more can I do before the resource usage reaches its the threshold?
Premium Web Hosting | ShadowCrypt | Manal Shaikh Official Website
If you find my post/thread useful, you're supposed to +rep me. 
@Manal  I realize your question is a bit different than the original topic of the previous thread about Raspberry Pi, however, close enough and also valuable enough for the two to be merged.  I'd like any new member to have the benefit of the excellent posts in the first thread so hopefully your question about the applications that the Raspberry Pi can be used for can be discussed here.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
a53 can be quite powerful you know. just think redmi note 4. you may not believe what all the things i pulled on that set of mine. But it is still a workhorse.
I guess for normal entry level desktop use, with good cooling solution, a raspi 4 1 or 2 gb is a great solution, including its gpu. also it has a72 cores.

But..(nothing that comes before but is significant.got)..yes..but say you are in india. you will have to pay rs 3200 for the 1gb version. just the board, mind you. while you can have 8gb ddr4 3000mhz and h110m and g4560 with 1 year warranty left on it at rs 6000, if you are lucky/die-hard bargain hunter (me). these will be so much more powerful and replaceable/repairable that you will hardly be able to justify buying rpi, unless you really need that for say some project.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
(08-24-2019, 05:00 AM)Manal Wrote: What can we do with a 2 GB RAM based Raspberry Pi computer? Can I host a website? And what more can I do before the resource usage reaches its the threshold?

It's a fully blown computer that can run Windows 10 IoT and Linux such as Ubuntu or Raspbian (which is Debian for Raspberry Pi) and some other Linux distributions. Some clever developers have even managed to run normal full Windows 10 ARM Edition on it although the performance is simply too far away from good to use it properly everyday.

So just imagine it as a quad core VPS with 2 GB RAM and lets say 64 GB storage (if you get the 64 GB µSD card - more if you attach stuff by USB3.0) or an older laptop. Since it is real hardware you can do pretty much everything you want. All packages of Debian/Ubuntu are at your command and can be installed through the usual apt commands. This includes the full LAMP or LEMP stack to host websites. Or even Java to run a Minecraft server.

What limits it a bit is the ARM CPU. Not all software around the world is available for ARM. So you might not be able to run a CS 1.6 server on it or many other game servers. However web servers, mail servers, DNS, VPN, IRC and etc. are all possible.

It may have passed by you but actually around the world some datacenters even offered free or very cheap colocation for Raspberry Pis and sold Raspberry Pi as products for hosting. The daughter "Scaleways" of "Online.net" has had their own dedicated ARM servers that were like the Raspberry Pi but had a better CPU (quad core ARM 64 Bit CPU with 2.1 GHz) and 2 - 4 or even 8 GB of RAM.

https://raspberry-hosting.com/en
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspber...olocation/
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
first time i heard about this PC it seems that it got that latest technology available on the market, and for the price comparing with other company's products its way more cheaper, so it is suggestible for low budget people, but the question is does 4 ram ain't enough ? for apps that use a lot of ram, what i want to say does i will lag the pc.?
Watch this beauty till the end..

(08-24-2019, 06:49 AM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: It's a fully blown computer that can run Windows 10 IoT and Linux such as Ubuntu or Raspbian (which is Debian for Raspberry Pi) and some other Linux distributions. Some clever developers have even managed to run normal full Windows 10 ARM Edition on it although the performance is simply too far away from good to use it properly everyday.

So just imagine it as a quad core VPS with 2 GB RAM and lets say 64 GB storage (if you get the 64 GB µSD card - more if you attach stuff by USB3.0) or an older laptop. Since it is real hardware you can do pretty much everything you want. All packages of Debian/Ubuntu are at your command and can be installed through the usual apt commands. This includes the full LAMP or LEMP stack to host websites. Or even Java to run a Minecraft server.

What limits it a bit is the ARM CPU. Not all software around the world is available for ARM. So you might not be able to run a CS 1.6 server on it or many other game servers. However web servers, mail servers, DNS, VPN, IRC and etc. are all possible.

It may have passed by you but actually around the world some datacenters even offered free or very cheap colocation for Raspberry Pis and sold Raspberry Pi as products for hosting. The daughter "Scaleways" of "Online.net" has had their own dedicated ARM servers that were like the Raspberry Pi but had a better CPU (quad core ARM 64 Bit CPU with 2.1 GHz) and 2 - 4 or even 8 GB of RAM.

https://raspberry-hosting.com/en
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspber...olocation/

Thank you for this.
That's what I wanted to know. I'd be glad to bring up my own CPU for hosting my test sites in the future. Thank you.
Premium Web Hosting | ShadowCrypt | Manal Shaikh Official Website
If you find my post/thread useful, you're supposed to +rep me. 
I think Raspberries are more meant for those who would like to maintain/fondle with a small server, but ofcourse can't bear the expense of an actual server, cuz everything in it is quite limited, when you compare it to an actual server/machine, but even then, It allows you to do almost anything on it, even run minecraft if u wish to.(Though highly limited)
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
@Manal
those nice opportunities are no more. also I could not find anything like that anywhere else. So sadly you will have to do it yourself. I have no idea if normal datacentres will allow this. If you do it, then let us know the results. I mean your expenses and how it performed.

Let me google some more to see if anyone did any load testing on it.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
05-27-2017, 01:59 PM
Last Post: humanpuff69
12-13-2016, 04:40 AM
Last Post: maroon93

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting