arrow_upward

Pages (2):
[ADDED] Add vCPU number to VPS Plans
This discussion was started by @fChk in the Announcement thread of our new VPS 14 Plan.  fChk suggested that Post4VPS add the vCPU number to the VPS Plans. The discussion was going off topic, so I decided to split it and move the discussion to our Suggestions and Feedback Forum.

(09-27-2020, 06:37 AM)fChk Wrote: Why not include the vCPU number in the VPS specs featured in the VPS Plans page.
Sounds like a great plan @fChk.  

For now I've added @phoenixwolf's vCPU number to the VPS 14 plan.

Next I'll start with VPS 1 and work my way up from there.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(09-27-2020, 08:09 PM)phoenixwolf Wrote: Yes, it will have 4 CPU Cores. Running @ 3.5 GHz. Here is the rest of the specs below.

Sounds great!.. May we know the planned CPU topology, eg:

> 4 shared Cores ( 8 shared threads )
> 2 dedicated Cores ( 4 dedicated threads )
> 2 shared Cores ( 4 shared threads )

I'm asking because I did gave up on VPS-9 because the CPU didn't cut it for my GIS (Geographic Information System) project that I was hosting on it. May be this upcoming VPS 14 may do the job instead, although the HDD storage will surely impact the I/O performance. Worth a try anyway, if I succeed in applying for it.

Edit:
I struck the dedicated cores option because (and correct if I'm wrong) it's not an option in this type of CPU as per the reference bellow.

Reference:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...0-ghz.html
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
(09-27-2020, 09:36 PM)deanhills Wrote: Sounds like a great plan @fChk.  

@deanhills

I noted that you've used the 'Number of CPU Cores' instead of simply 'vCPU'; that's inaccurate.

Virtualization guests (be it under QEMU/KVM or Hyper-V) don't have CPU Cores but are assigned virtual CPU (ie vCPU) --also referred to as 'logical CPUs' at runtime by the adhoc hypervisor, which are simple POSIX threads in the host and that get scheduled by the KVM host scheduler.

Thus if we gave 1 vCPU to our VM then it will have 1 POSIX thread to run in, if 2 then 2 threads etc..

The number of vCPUs is set when that VM(/VPS) is built and it's defined by the topology that the VM creator has set for it.

In the case of VPS 9, it's:
root@kvm-Post2Host-Phoenix:~# lscpu
Architecture:        x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):      32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:          Little Endian
Address sizes:       46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
CPU(s):              2
On-line CPU(s) list: 0,1
Thread(s) per core:  1
Core(s) per socket:  1
Socket(s):           2
NUMA node(s):        1
Vendor ID:           GenuineIntel
CPU family:          6
Model:               63
Model name:          Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz
Stepping:            2
CPU MHz:             2399.996
BogoMIPS:            4799.99
Hypervisor vendor:   KVM
Virtualization type: full
L1d cache:           32K
L1i cache:           32K
L2 cache:            4096K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):   0,1
Flags:               ..........................
Thus the topology is:
> Sockets: 2
> Cores: 1
> Treads: 1
Which means that we have 2 * 1 * 1 = 2 vCPUs.

Now, if you can run the lscpu command inside VPS 14 and post it here that would be great, if not, we'll just have to wait for the next VPS holder to tell us what he's got.

The thing is that if we take what @phoenixwolf above is saying at face value (ie 'it will have 4 CPU Cores. Running @ 3.5 GHz'), that means VPS 14 has effectively 8 vCPUs not 4!
> Sockets: 1
> Cores: 4
> Treads: 2
=> 1 * 4 * 2 = 8 vCPUs

... Hence why I asked about the topology.

Anyway, I think I will pass on VPS 14 given the HDD storage...
Is it always 2 vcpu per one cpu core ? I run virtual box. Can set more or less or equal. I never try kvm install run on my pc. But think. I think it be like that too, no? More cpu number or less then real no. No?

Administrator can give real core to a vos system too? No ?
@fChk  Thank you for your detailed feedback and tutorial about vCPU.  This is much appreciated.  Particularly appreciated too was your detailed specs of VPS 9.  You're obviously an expert at hardware.

Usually proposed changes are discussed in this Forum first so we can get the feedback from other members as well.  So this is why I moved the discussion from the Announcements (VPS 14 Plan). The discussion was also going off topic. 

Please note I've removed all of the "core" info in the VPS Plans. When I started to do the project I thought it would be easy to extract the info, which it wasn't - not all of the panels had this info. Strictly speaking one needs to go into the VPS for accurate info.  Also I should have talked with @Dynamo about this first as where will this end? Possibly the vCPU info may be confusing for those who don't have your hardware background to put it in the right perspective. After the vCPU then the VPS speed would become very important and lots of other info would need to be added to make sense of the vCPU, and it will go on and on forever, whereas all we need in one glance is a snap shot of what the VPS is about. 

In the meanwhile if you need this kind of detailed information for any of the other VPSs, please feel free to open a VPS Support Request and we could then get it from the panel, or if the info is limited in the panel, ask the sponsor.  

If you want quicker info about any of the VPSs that we've had for a while, what may help too is to work through the Review section of the Forum as you may pick up on Benchmark tests that contain the info you're looking for.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
@deanhills

In quick bullet points:

> Splitting the discussion was a good idea; kudos for that.

> The idea of adding the vCPU spec to the VPS plans page is a no-brainer really and I don't think anyone here or elsewhere would say otherwise. The vCPU is one of the most important spec for any given VPS; its absence only suggests (implicity) that the said VPS has 1 vCPU, which is not the case for at least VPS-9 and VPS-5 (in the VPS Plan page.)

> To streamline the addition of the vCPU number for you, you just have to give it the value of 1 for all the VPSs except for VPS-9 and VPS-5 where its 2 (see their reviews for confirmation.) In the VPS reviews, vCPUs are often referred to as 'cores' but should be translated as vCPUs in the VPS Plan page.

> For VPS 14 (which started this whole conversation), I suspect that it has 4 vCPUs although the provider referred to them as 'Cores'; I just can't imagine otherwise. Most probably the topology is : sockets-1 cores-2 threads-2 (1 * 2 * 2 = 4 shared threads = 4 vCPUs) but we have to wait for confirmation either by the provider or the next VPS holder.

> The thing here, @deanhills, is that if the vCPU number was featured among the specs included in the VPS Plan, all the VPS providers/sponsors would have given you that number when they proposed the sponsorship along with the RAM, storage etc... And as long as you don't feature it there it will remain an unknown till the review stage, as is the case now.

> As for me, I won't apply this time around and I'll wait for a VPS on par with VPS-9 but with more CPU power; hoping that it won't be a 'Waiting for Godot' kind of thing :-)

Sorry for the extra work that you went through, I know that sucks :-)

Edited to fix few flagrant grammar and spelling mistakes :-)
(10-01-2020, 06:42 PM)deanhills Wrote: ..... Possibly the vCPU info may be confusing for those who don't have your hardware background to put it in the right perspective. After the vCPU then the VPS speed would become very important and lots of other info would need to be added to make sense of the vCPU, and it will go on and on forever, whereas all we need in one glance is a snap shot of what the VPS is about.....

I suppose adding vCPU number to the VPS Plans makes more sense.

Yes I fully understand what you mean and it may increase your workload etc but...... the bottom line is that the term listed on the VPS Plans should be accurate. Smile

(09-27-2020, 09:36 PM)deanhills Wrote: This discussion was started by @fChk in the Announcement thread of our new VPS 14 Plan.  fChk suggested that Post4VPS add the vCPU number to the VPS Plans. The discussion was going off topic, so I decided to split it and move the discussion to our Suggestions and Feedback Forum.

Sounds like a great plan @fChk.  

That’s actually a great idea... this would for sure make it significantly easier for users (specifically the new ones who might not know the specs of all the plans very well) to compare each plan properly (since let’s face it, many people over here only look at the RAM numbers, which isn’t a great way of choosing your VPS to be honest).

Sure, you can look at reviews of previous holders and/or the new VPS plan announcement threads to know the CPU allotment of the VPS plan. But having that info in the VPS plans page would make things a lot easier as you’ll only have to look in one place. 

Kudos to @fChk for this suggestion
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
I must say, this is a really amazing suggestion out forward by @fChk.

As @ikk157 highlighted above, till now all users would have to refer to previous reviews of that particular VPS to figure out the vCPU allotment for that VPS.

But now, it'll be available in the VPS Plans page itself which will be much, much for convenient for newbies.

+1 from me on this suggestion! Smile
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
(10-02-2020, 04:10 AM)fChk Wrote: @deanhills

In quick bullet points:

(...)
> To streamline the addition of the vCPU number for you, you just have to give it the value of 1 for all the VPSs except for VPS-9 and VPS-5 where its 2 (see their reviews for confirmation.) In the VPS reviews, vCPUs are often referred to as 'cores' but should be translated as vCPUs in the VPS Plan page.
(...)

Given that I did go through the entire list of KVM-based P4V VPSs and assessed the specs via their reviews, I'll post here the relevant data which include the famous vCPU number.

This list is my actual ranking of the KVM-based P4V VPSs still in service currently (thus VPS-12 and VPS-11 are not included), from which the excerpt posted in the 66th Giveaway was extracted.

Format: vCPU number : RAM : Storage_Capacity+Type : Net_Speed+Bandwith : Location : CP_if_exists
Latest_Okayish_review

################################################
         P4V-Sponsored non-OVZ VPSs [1]
################################################
01- VPS-14: 4_vCPU 8GB_RAM   200GB_Storage(HDD)   1gbps_1TB_Net   Dallas/US_Loc
https://post4vps.com/Thread-BladeNode-VP...is-amazing

02- VPS-09: 2_vCPU 8GB_RAM   107GB_Storage(SSD)   1gbps_4TB_Net   ./US_Loc
https://post4vps.com/Thread-Virmach-VPS-...-Dream-VPS

03- VPS-08: 2_vCPU 4GB_RAM   050GB_Storage(HDD?)  1gbps_UnM_Net   Houston/US_Loc         CP_SolusVM
https://post4vps.com/Thread-CubeData-Cub...S-8-Review

04- VPS-13: 2_vCPU 2GB_RAM   020GB_Storage(NVMe)  1gbps_1TB_Net   Helsinki/Finland_Loc   CP_Virtualizor
https://post4vps.com/Thread-Limitless-Ho...est-Review

05- VPS-02: 2_vCPU 2GB_RAM   036GB_Storage(SSD)   1gbps_4TB_Net   LA/US_Loc
https://post4vps.com/Thread-cyberpanel-w...erver-ever

06- VPS-15: 1_vCPU 8GB_RAM   127GB_Storage(HDD)   1gbps_UnM_Net   Dallas/US_Loc          CP_SolidCP
https://post4vps.com/Thread-Cubedata-s-S...ion-VPS-15

07- VPS-07: 1_vCPU 1GB_RAM   025GB_Storage(NVMe?) 1gbps_UnM_Net   ./US_Loc
https://post4vps.com/Thread-ReadyDedis-V...VPS-Review

08- VPS-01: 1_vCPU 1GB_RAM   100GB_Storage(HDD)   1gbps_1TB_Net   Roubaix/France_Loc     CP_Virtualizor
https://post4vps.com/Thread-Host4Fun-Rev...y-Host4Fun

09- VPS-03: 1_vCPU 1GB_RAM   016GB_Storage(SSD)   1gbps_3TB_Net   LA/US_Loc
https://post4vps.com/Thread-VPS-3-VPS-Hosting-Review

10- VPS-10: 1_vCPU 512MB_RAM 050GB_Storage(HDD?)  125mbps_1TB_Net Gravelines/France_Loc  CP_Virtualizor
https://post4vps.com/Thread-Evolution-Ho...-10-Review

------------------
VPS-12,VPS-11
------------------

[1]- VPS-8 is a Xen guest while VPS-15 is a HyperV VM, hence why the non-OVZ attribute, instead of simply QEMU/KVM.
Pages (2):
lockThread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
03-24-2021, 08:57 PM
Last Post: deanhills

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting