arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How secure are Microsoft Updates really?
I have to ask here, how secure are Microsoft Updates really? I've learned through hard experience with my last Windows 10 test that Microsoft must have a HUGE Update team, who collaborate to create a mother load of updates which then all get combined into a huge package. Not all of those updates are necessarily right for the individual computer. So the update that may be good for one user's computer is not necessarily good for another. A one size fits all package, pinching most?

I understand there is no choice. But surely Microsoft could create categories of updates and provide greater descriptions instead of glib descriptions like improving the efficiency of something. So one knows exactly what to expect of any update that runs on a computer. And have the ability to say "no" to it.

Windows Software have to become more intelligent so that when that big update package starts running, Windows should ideally test those updates first for possible conflicts with the hardware or other software before they are installed. Like there are so many different hardware and software variations, surely an analysis by the computer system should be a first "defence", and if any anomalies are detected they should be listed and the owner of the hardware given the oppotunity to cancel and disable the update permanently. The updates should be also intelligent enough to pick on having been previously rejected. Instead of popping up again and getting installed by error.

By the time an update has been installed and is conflicting with the hardware or other software it's too late to do anything. It's almost impossible to figure out exactly which update created the issue as it's like searching for a needle in a haystack. Forcing one to reset Windows to a previous point. Wasting loads of time. And then the biggest issue of all, that update that created the damage, which you "avoided" by moving Windows back before the updates hit the computer, will be back again, because you have no power to disable it unless you're prepared to go into power shell and become the equivalent of a computer engineer. And from what I've heard today, we're not even able to do that any longer. A loose loose situation.

Those updates are like viruses in their own right. Like today it comes in one form as KB123 and tomorrow the exact same one comes as a different KB456. So you have to deal with the exact same issue over again.

So I'm beginning to look at Microsoft Updates as the equivalent of Malware. I'm beginning to think that those updates are more harmful to your computer than the threats that they're supposed to protect your computer system against.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
If you are a target to a cyberattack,no update will work.(*)
If you aren't a target to a cyberattack,no update have worked.

(*) Okay.Microsoft do fixes bugs and some of them are really security fixes.But a professional hacker group should always hold some security holes that haven't been reported for successful attack.

If you are fine with the current state of your OS,no urgent need to update.Never visit untrusted websites and never open unknown files.
Don't be overwhelmed on security alerts.Good habits and daily backups could save you from ransomware attack to update failure.
VPS 3 Provided by Post4vps and Racknerd .
I have used Windows for a long time, installing Windows updates is very important because they fix issues that can cause memory leak, data leak, bad behavior and such. If you want to know more about what does a Windows update you can get the changelog somewhere.

As far I know, in Windows Vista, Seven and 8.1 the updates were divided in your categories: Recomended/Important and Optional. With Windows 10 first releases something changed, there weren't anymore optional update. The optional updates has been added again but for drivers around the latest Windows 10 release.

Moreover the only "dangerous" update are the "Feature update" ones that update your Windows 10 version from a version to another (which take a lot of time and can be tricky) but for these type of update Windows 10 provide a "rollback" feature, so you will be able to get back your working environment. There is another type of update called "Cumulative X update" where X is a month that contains the security update in a single package, IT HELPS A LOT WHEN YOU INSTALL AN OLD SYSTEM AND WANT TO UPDATE IT! (Instead of installing 121 update you just need 3-4 cumulative packages!)
Microsoft releases updates on a fixed rate, your read about the "Patch Tuesday" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_Tuesday).

Using an update system is very important because you are protected by the newest exploit attack. For example during this year Microsoft pushed the "patch" for Intel Meltdown and Spectre via Windows Update... and if you don't want your credit cards credentials to be stolen I suggest you to install these update soon!

I know that Windows 10 is becoming very heavy update after update but... Windows 10 INSIDER PREVIEW is still running smoothly insime my 2003 old laptop with 4GB of RAM and a 2nd generation i3.

I want to say that Microsoft is developing the MOST used operation system that runs on a ULTRA-WIDE variety of hardware, Microsoft's developer are humans and not onniscent but they are doing their best to bring you a working system!
I am saying it because sometime someone just compare the stability of Mac updates with the Microsoft ones and at that moment I usually rage burst into my anti-apple persona: Mac runs only on a SPECIFIC hardware selected buy Apple, so it know every inch of that hardware and know how to handle it properly... something that Microsoft can't do, but this diifference is the main cause of the market share of Windows!
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting