arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beware! PHP 8 may break old WP Themes!
So the last week I had a project which meant I had to move some of my WordPress sites from one VPS to another. There were five Websites involved and the move should have taken me an hour or a little more to do. Except, it took up to a few days instead trying to troubleshoot a broken database.

A major hurdle turned out to be one of my oldest WordPress sites. When I move a WP site I use the All In One WP Migration Plugin to create backups after every change. So usually it's quick and easy. I create a new WP installation at the destination site. Then import the backup. With the old Website it is the first time ever that my backup had a critical issue with the database. Thing is this only happened with this very old WordPress site. The other sites that had old WP themes were OK, but the site that had the critical database issue was a very old theme called Tetris.

Took quite a while for me to figure out that the reason was php 8.0. I then picked up on a warning by WordPress to be careful not to use php 8.0 as there seems to be conflicts with some of the themes and plugins. They are investigating this.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  

Messages In This Thread
Beware! PHP 8 may break old WP Themes! - by deanhills - 05-07-2021, 11:32 PM

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 9 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting