arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VestaCP Softaculous Update kills Softaculous - fix
So a month ago I had serious issues with my VestaCP Panel in both of my VPSs.  What happened was when my VestaCP received an automatic update the Named Servers of both VPSs went down, except with VPS 9 the Named Server was completely corrupted and I had to restart all of my work including reinstalling VestaCP on the VPS from scratch.  With HostUS VPS I was able to restart the Named Server after a few attempts.  

So today it was the reverse - I found my Named Server down on my HostUS VPS however with VPS 9 it was OK.  This happened after an automatic update for Softaculous.  I also found my Softaculous completely down and out on both VPSs.  Blank page.  This time it was easier to fix the Named Server as I could do that in the Panel Dashboard just by restarting named.  Softaculous was dead as a duck however on both VPSs.  Total blank page.

If any one else uses Softaculous and the same happens to them with the last update - this is what I did (after searching a while for the solution on the VestaCP Forum).  I had to cross my fingers that my Softaculous installed scripts wouldn't be broken, but they were all OK afterwords.

v-delete-vesta-softaculous
rm /usr/local/vesta/softaculous/vst_installed
v-add-vesta-softaculous
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
@F7N faced similar issue. Maybe you can help him?
Did you see logs?
Premium Web Hosting | ShadowCrypt | Manal Shaikh Official Website
If you find my post/thread useful, you're supposed to +rep me. 
(12-08-2018, 05:22 PM)Manal Wrote: @F7N faced similar issue. Maybe you can help him?
Did you see logs?

Thanks for the feedback @Manal. I'm a dumb-dumb. I didn't look at the logs, and because I removed Softaculous the logs must have been removed as well.

@F7N can find the error log in the Softaculous Admin Panel/Settings/Error logs. Important to remember when he reloads Softaculous after deleting it to go into the Admin Panel General Settings to tick the VPS box so the license will be identified as one for a VPS and not a dedicated server.

If he has a premium/paid version of Softaculous he also needs to load ioncube as otherwise he'll get a blank page - he can load it with this command:

/usr/local/vesta/ioncube/ioncube.sh
Terminal
(12-08-2018, 05:57 PM)deanhills Wrote: Thanks for the feedback @Manal. I'm a dumb-dumb. I didn't look at the logs, and because I removed Softaculous the logs must have been removed as well.

@F7N can find the error log in the Softaculous Admin Panel/Settings/Error logs. Important to remember when he reloads Softaculous after deleting it to go into the Admin Panel General Settings to tick the VPS box so the license will be identified as one for a VPS and not a dedicated server.

If he has a premium/paid version of Softaculous he also needs to load ioncube as otherwise he'll get a blank page - he can load it with this command:

/usr/local/vesta/ioncube/ioncube.sh

As @Manal already say, I faced indeed also a problem with Softaculous 1st time. I tried first to reload Softaculous self but a blank page was what I got in returned. So I did what I could do but all my solutions where not good enough. So I have contacted the devs of Softaculous and they have helped me. Please try this: Please install "gcc" if it is not installed on your server and then execute the following repair command to resolve the issue :

/usr/local/vesta/php/bin/php /usr/local/vesta/softaculous/cli.php --repair
(12-08-2018, 06:19 PM)F7N Wrote: As @Manal already say, I faced indeed also a problem with Softaculous 1st time.

thanks @F7N - this was not a first time problem - I went through the first time problem right at the beginning when Softaculous was first installed at VestaCP at the beginning of the year. The last problem with Softaculous is a recent problem after Softaculous has been working very well for many months. The problem happened after Softaculous was updated recently. When Softaculous was updated, both my Softaculous at my two VPSs went blank. I had to completely delete them and reload them first before they worked again. Fortunately that didn't effect my existing installations.

I've had bad experiences with both of the two recent Vesta automatic updates. Previous one of a month ago was with Ioncube. I don't know why, but my Named Server - went down in both VPSs after the update - I also had to reload Ioncube again. With the last Softaculous update one of the Named Servers stopped, and both the Softaculous apps went blank.
Terminal
I have heard from many people about a broken softaculous, mine tooks around 2/3 weeks long before it was working again as it needs to. Have you tried the command in the VPS to repair Softaculous? Because I wanted to know and maybe that I can help you support on it, is yours unmanaged or managed?
Once i was using VestCP i was facing the same problem.But i was unable to fix that at time.So i just re-installed OS Tongue.Thanks for sharing.I hope now i can use a Cpanel again.

Thanks to Post4VPS and Hostlease for their great services.  
(12-09-2018, 02:58 AM)Rehan Wrote: Once i was using VestCP i was facing the same problem.But i was unable to fix that at time.So i just re-installed OS Tongue.Thanks for sharing.I hope now i can use a Cpanel again.
With the automatic update of two months ago I was forced to do the same thing with one of my VPSs where the named server got completely corrupted because of the update. I guess one should be thankful one is able to remove VestaCP so cleanly with only one command, and reinstall it just as cleanly with no errors. In overall, I'm still very happy with the panel. Only the automatic updates of the last two months that created a problem. I'd rather go through the upheaval of reinstalling VestaCP with an automatic update that has an effect on the workings of the DNS than to have a hacked VPS. I see this little bit of frustration as collateral damage with the VestaCP Admin trying to keep it secure - I'm sticking with the automatic updates and with VestaCP as it's free and it works well.
Terminal

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting