arrow_upward

Poll: Should I get a home server?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
16.67%
No! Get a Raspberry Pi instead
33.33%
Use your PC for VMs and VPN for IPv6
50.00%
Total
6 vote(s)
100%

* You voted for this item.

Pages (3):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheapest home server
(10-30-2019, 05:10 AM)chanalku91 Wrote: Too noisy? Just make your warehouse soundproof! And place your server there! So as not to disturb!

I was planning to put it on my room so that's not an option.

(10-30-2019, 05:59 AM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: @AmirGT

Unfortunately there is no official PfSense for the Raspberry Pi. It also looks like the PfSense folks have zero interest and are absolutely not fond of the idea to build images for Raspberry Pis or other similar SBCs.

You will need x86 hardware to run PfSense. There are x86 SBCs but you still have to be careful because PfSense dropped support for Intel Atom CPUs HOWEVER most x86 SBCs that aren't too expensive all use Intel Atom CPUs.

What's your suggestions then? I wanna go as low as possible.

(10-30-2019, 06:19 AM)rudra Wrote: jeesus !! this is the most weird solution i have ever seen people look into when a perfectly normal and cheap one exists already.

it is just using your vm as gateway. it will route for ipv6 traffic and direct all such through the HE tunnel.

what is so hard about it ?

why do you think you need pfsense ? ok. run pfsense on the vm then, as os and do the same.

but you certainly don't need any dedicated server system for home network. you are using 3rd gen i5. i suggest you better update that hardware and your will be amazed at what you can do even on a 4 core 8th gen i3 8100 bought 1 year used at inr 5000 , even with running two vm with tasks running on them.

or better yet... set up ryzen 2600 machine with an used system. awesome value for money. then play with as many as 9 / 10 vms. 3600 is even better...2700 too, but more power hungry and costly.

People set up full labs with multiple full fledged virtual routers and VM running on them and set up complex topologies to learn networking, using GNS3.

you can certainly use a vm in it that will keep running and routing your ipv6 traffic. you won't even notice.

About VM, that was another use for the server I wanna get but I didn't mean to run Pfsense inside a VM. I was thinking that running Pfsense might make the situation easier? And yeah I'm planning to update my PC but still need more time.
Now lemme reword what I wanna do. I wanna have IPv6 on my home network so when a device connects, they get IPv6 as if my ISP provides it natively. What's the easiest way to achieve this?
Pages (3):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
10-26-2017, 12:09 AM
Last Post: Golden
04-18-2017, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Vuluts

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting