arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Documentary Recommendations
I found this documentary on Netflix (netflix) It's called "High Score," [IMDB] and it follows the development of video games from it's roots in arcade gaming through the great console wars and into the world of 3d. It reveals through interviews some of the creative processes and landmark innovations that brought video games from a small niche hobby for nerds to the massive worldwide market it is today.

What I liked best about it was seeing through the eye of the developers the methods they used to create the most noteable and groundbreaking changes in video games:
  • the sketchbook used by Tomohiro Nishikado (wiki) to flesh out the initial design of "Space Invaders" (wiki) or
  • the reasons that led to the use of internationally recognizable scenery in the backgrounds of "Street Fighter 2" (wiki)
  • the importance of darkness and loud "Metal" music that led to the creation of "DOOM" (wiki)
  • why Hironobu Sakaguchi (wiki) says even a solo gamer is never actually alone, and creating the illusion of free will
While I wouldn't recommend it as a documentary for everyone, I think it'd be a good watch for gamers, particularly those that weren't around in the 80s.
@Mashiro
Great collection of documentaries there and impeccable taste too. I like books and documentaries on true crime as well. May be on one hand there is a danger of them teaching and encouraging the wrong crowd to do the wrong things according to some. But I do not think lack of information has stopped that many out there carrying evil plans in their head. On the other hand it is certainly very important to teach ourselves on the ways things can go wrong or take a bad turn. I am always for more learning and awareness. That helps in reducing the effects of misinformation and disinformation campaigns. vulnerable people get the power of knowledge and prepare themselves accordingly.
I wonder when we will learn that hiding the bad / dirty sides or pushing them under rugs wont do a bit in changing them for the better.

@sagher
Thanks for this gem. A fine documentary.

I would like to add the names of some of the titles from my list of the documentaries I have liked.

1. Channel 4 docu Things.We.Wont.Say.About.Race.That.Are.True

It tells us to be more open about taking race into consideration when discussing things. As an example, not all type of crimes are equally represented by the various races and there are reasons for that.

2. natural world - One million snake bites

The famous snake expert Rom Whitaker shows us that the real number of snakebites that occurs in india each year in recent times is actually much higher than the statistics published by the government. So much so that it has taken up epidemic proportions and if left unchecked, it has potential to kill huge number of humans each year due to lack of proper anti-venom development work in adequate quantity and lack of awareness among people who face the danger in their daily lives.

I find this little gem of a documentary very informative on the whole about the behaviour of indian snakes and some superstitions of the people that are rather harmful but still exist in this age of science.

I think how great it would be if they taught us such valuable information and lessons in school instead of grading us on our capacity to rote learn and remember nitty gritty details in biology and all.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
Steal This Film 1+2 ENG (2006 & 2007) full movies

I would like to introduce a two parts documentary called "Steal This Film". Wikipedia introduce it like so:
Wikipedia Wrote:Steal This Film is a film series documenting the movement against intellectual property produced by The League of Noble Peers and released via the BitTorrent peer-to-peer protocol.

I remember having enjoyed this documentary when I first watched it, especially the more abstract episode: Part 2, hence this post.

I do agree to a great extent with the documentary argument against the so-called "intellectual property." There is something fundamentally archaic, counterproductive and -to my mind- fundamentally wrong with the whole construct which defines current laws for trademarks, copyrights, patents etc...

Recommended for the inquisitive minds only!..
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
People who read my COVID-19-related posts must have noticed that I've consistently used the name of Oxford/AstraZeneka COVID-19 vaccine instead of simply AstraZeneka COVID-19 vaccine, as used in the media. The reason for that is a conscious acknowledgment of the fact that THAT vaccine belongs to the Oxford University, as it was developed by the Oxford vaccine group during 2020 but the University had to team-up with the AstraZeneca bigPharma company to solve the mega-scale manufacturing problem.

Oxford University wanted that no profit should be made by bigPharma on their research during the pandemic period and that the vaccine should be made available for low- and middle-income countries free of charge even after the pandemic.

AstraZeneca agreed not to make a profit from the vaccine during the pandemic and, afterwards, to sell it at cost-price to low- and middle-income countries.

This story was reported in a BBC Panorama documentary that:
Quote:... tells the inside story of the development of the Oxford vaccine against Covid-19. For the past 11 months, the BBC's medical editor Fergus Walsh followed the team at Oxford University and AstraZeneca, as they designed, developed, manufactured, and trialled the vaccine.

As the pandemic worsened, the programme follows volunteers in the trial in the UK, Brazil, and the USA. Fergus Walsh scrutinizes the data that has come out of the trials and examines the vaccination's efficacy and safety. He provides a unique inside view on a remarkable year for science.

BBC Panorama - The Race for a Vaccine (2020)
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
(04-25-2021, 04:02 PM)fChk Wrote: Oxford University wanted that no profit should be made by bigPharma on their research during the pandemic period and that the vaccine should be made available for low- and middle-income countries free of charge even after the pandemic.
I didn't know this @fChk. The reason that I'm hearing currently why South Africa is no longer using Oxford Astra Zeneka is that it is not that effective for the new South African variant of Covid 19:
https://www.wits.ac.za/covid19/covid19-n...anger.html

But yes, the cost of Johnson&Johnson seems to be the equivalent of breaking a leg in Africa. They're out to make money. To the equivalent of bankrupting third world countries. The attraction initially was the free doses at the beginning of the programme. It's no longer as easy as it sounded. Together with trying to make South Africa liable for anything that can go wrong with the vaccine.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
[Image: Cartel_Land_poster.jpg]

Cartel Land / 2015 / United States & Mexico / 7.4 out of 10 Rating on IMDb

IMDb Wrote:Filmmaker Matthew Heineman examines the state of the ongoing drug problem along the U.S.-Mexican border. A physician in Michoacán, Mexico leads a citizen uprising against the drug cartel that has wreaked havoc on the region for years. Across the U.S. border, a veteran heads a paramilitary group working to prevent Mexico's drug wars from entering U.S. territory.

A great documentary about the always on going war against drugs and drug cartels in Mexico and the border regions to the U.S.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
Today i introduce with you a great BBC UK series of Documentaries of World Cultures and Public issues. 

A Person who visited landmarks and search each and everything about a common person life. The special thing is a great direction of Documentaries and everything is look like very align and meaningful. 
He discuss about traditions and start of traditions. 

My most ever favorite Episodes are "Mediterranean" countries. Those countries which apart of Mediterranean sea. there culture/traditions, skills issues, existing in 21st century world. market places, food, religion, each and everything is described very dramatically and well directed. 
I am sure you are also fan of Simon Reeve after see this.

If you are from UK. then it's easy to catch them on iPlayer. otherwise youtube and vemio are the best options. 

Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
Finding YingYing

After a young Chinese student goes missing on a university campus, her family travels to the U.S. for the first time. While unraveling the mystery of her disappearance, they discover how much her life has touched others.

[Image: oPmKTbh.png]

A very emotional and very gripping documentary. Its not the best production quality but the story is what is most tragic. Had me hooked for the whole length of the movie and the criminal was punished although her life would not be the same anymore. I would recommend watching it HERE. Its free and in high quality. Although there are ads you can remove it via AdBlock. I give it 9/10.
No one knows what the future holds, that's why its potential is infinite
[Image: sr5qz2q.png]

The World At War / 1973-1974 / World Wide / 9.2 out of 10 Rating on IMDb

IMDb Wrote:A groundbreaking 26-part documentary series narrated by the actor Laurence Olivier about the deadliest conflict in history, World War II. A multi-volumed documentary mini-series, "The World at War" covers the entire history of World War II from the causes of the 1920s to the aftermath of the Cold War in the 1950s. Emphasis is also placed on several inside story episodes, where events are covered which occurred inside Germany and Japan such as resistance to Hitler, life in general under a dictatorial regime, and particular emphasis is focused on the Jewish Holocaust.

Probably one of the best documentaries about World War II.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting