arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
HostLease  VPS 15 - Hostlease - Review
VPS 15 (Hostlease) - Review - March 2019

Introduction
When I became the Giveaway Manager I thought to return my VPS 9 - Phoenix, that I had been so very happy with for almost a year, to create some distance between me and the VPSs.  I have returned it to the VPS Pool for Giveaway during April.  

No one applied for VPS 15 during the March Giveaway, so I decided to try it out for a month, and will return it for Giveaway in April as well.  Objective was to write a review of the performance of VPS 15 during the course of its use during March.

It is probably unfair to compare a VPS of such huge specs like VPS 9 with VPS 15.  Not that VPS 15 specs are anything to complain about, as they are very significant as you can see below.  The performance is however very diffent and the speed of VPS 15 much slower, probably mostly due to the difference in connection speed between the two.  1 Ggbps (VPS 9) vs 100 Mbps (VPS 15).  Having said that though, there is nothing wrong with the speed of VPS 15, and any one should be OK with using the VPS for normal resource applications.  I'd guess however with users who require a lot of resources for games servers or possibly other heavier non-website applications I'm not so sure that I'd recommend VPS 15 for the application.  I have however not tested VPS 15 for these applications, so it would be great if someone else would give VPS 15 a try for a games server and do a review on it.

Here are the specs of VPS 15:

Disk Size: 270 GB SSD
Monthly Traffic: 10 TB
Memory: 3 GB 3 GB vSwap
IP Addresses: 2x IPv4
Virtualization: OpenVZ
Control Panel: None
Connection: 100 Mbps
Provided by: Hostlease

VPS 15 Host - Hostlease, Netherlands
VPS 15 has been generously donated by Hostlease, a sponsor of post4vps.com, and hosting company based in Heerde, the Netherlands.  Hostlease specializes in business hosting and reseller hosting with focus on unlimited fast SSD disk space, data and cPanel features, and e-mails.  It also provides unlimited Comodo SSL certificates for domains and subdomains. VPSs are an add on service and any one interested in a VPS should contact Jorgy (F7N) in the Forum.

Network, Performance & Reliability
When I first started to use VPS 15, the installation of VestaCP was super slow, but I think it was an extreme event as after a couple of hours things started to speed up, and still is good.  This is what the speed was when I first started using the VPS on 8th of March 2019:

[Image: 8096222704.png]

Possibly the slow speed that I first encountered could also have had something to do with my ISP, however it soon sorted itself out, and settled into the following average speed (taken today) that is definitely OK for working with the VPS:

[Image: 8126732519.png]

System Information
The System Information below was generated by the Hidden Refuge's Benchmark 2.0 Test.  Thank you to @"Hidden Refuge" for being so generous to continuously update and support it for us:

CPU Model:  Intel® Xeon® CPU E5520 @ 2.7GHz
CPU Cores:  4
Frequency:  2266.742 MHz
Total Amount of RAM:  3072 MB
Total Amount of SWAP:  0 MB
Uptime:   11 days, 11:42,
Download Speed: (81.86 MB/s)
I/O Speed: 68.2 MB/s

Architecture:  x86_64 (64 Bit)
Kernel: 2.6.32-042stab125.5
Hostname: Hostlease-freevps

Benchmark Test
Here are the results of the Benchmark Test:

wget --no-check-certificate https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hidden-refuge/bench-sh-2/master/bench.sh && bash bench.sh -b && rm bench.sh

Canada
Download speed from Cachefly: 8.95MB/s

America - United States:
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta, GA: 4.37MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 8.75MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 8.18MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 10.1MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 3.37MB/s

Asia
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, Japan: 348kb/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.73MB/s
Download speed from Hinet, Taiwan: 4.34MB/s

Europe
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, Netherlands: 6.31MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, Netherlands: 11.4MB/s

Disks and Storage

Disk speed:

Drive Speed
I/O (1st run): 3.3 MB/s
I/O (2nd run):  14.5 MB/s
I/O (3rd run):  12.1 MB/s
Average I/O: 9.96667 MB/s

Usage
I've been using VPS 15 mostly for a WordPress blog.  I loaded VestaCP, when it loaded slow, but I'm sure if I should repeat this that it would load must faster.  It's still much slower than VPS 9 though.  For WordPress this VPS works great.  When I work with the Dashboard Plugins and themes they load and activate very fast.  It's easy and fast to blog.  However as previously said, I'm not so sure this VPS would be ideal for a Games Server, but then it hasn't been tested as a Games Server yet.  

VPS 15 doesn't come with its own panel, so that would be a drawback for some who need the panel for reinstallation of the OS.  However, for someone to own the VPS, the panel that is available is really great.  At one stage when I was trying to change the port number of the VPS I was completely locked out of the VPS.  Fortunately the panel that Hostlease has available allowed me to temporarily SSH in to fix the problem.  

Things to Improve
Definitely the connection speed.  100 Mbps is much too slow for a large VPS like this.  It would be great if the speed could be increased to the average speed one gets for the VPS of this size - 1Gbps minimum or faster.  The sponsor mentioned the possibility of adding a panel for the user, and that would definitely be a great plus.  Must say I'm a bit puzzled too with the location of the VPS in Los Angeles for a VPS host who is located in the Netherlands.  I'd say one of the reasons for the lower speed has to be the far distance on top of the low connection speed.  

Conclusion
All in all everything worked well with VPS 15, and support from the sponsor through F7N (Jordy) during the set up of the VPS was excellent.  The Hostlease Website has a great chat feature “TalkTo” that works much better than Discord or support tickets.  Also no captchas to worry about which had me smiling from ear to ear.   We were able to conduct our business on TalkTo with maximum efficiency and the least waste of time.

I want to extend a special note of appreciation to Jordy for Hostlease's super support and the donation of VPS 15 for use by post4vps.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Thanks @deanhills for doing such a review.

Well, the disk speed.....14.5 MB/s maximum. It really does not look like a SSD disk.

And it is a bit hard to believe the speedtest result for Japan, 348kb/s, which seems very slow.

But this VPS 15 has 2 x IPv4 addresses which may be useful for some particular users.

Nice review, I appreciate your efforts for making use of the un-applied vpses, as the previous user mentioned, I/O speeds do seem slow but for average users who are just starting out, I think this would be a great VPS. I myself started from 512 MB vpses.
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
Hi,

Yes, the 100mbps is slower as 1gbps port speed. Keep in mind that we will increase the speeds inside this VPS. We are also planned to upgrade each of our services to 10gbps even the sponsored VPS’es. Current do we have no exact ETA when this is gonna happend but to ensure this. We confirm that this year should to be ready to invest in the cables of the hosting. And we will see the benefits of our KVM VPS which we love to sponsor Post4Vps with. The KVM VPS Plans with isolated resources & raid10 protected. SSD powered VIRTUAL SERVERS with up to 8x E5 Intel Xeon Cores.
VPS 15 was my next priority to grab that VPS after i lost my VPS 9 last month but unfortunately it doesn't allowed to host gameserver which is good decision by @F7N because we know it easier to attack gameservers which affect on entire machine. I wish i can test that VPS 15.

By the way, that was the greatest review i have ever read. Good job @deanhills
Terminal
Best Regards,
Global Moderator of Post4VPS 

(03-21-2019, 12:11 PM)arsalahmed786 Wrote: VPS 15 was my next priority to grab that VPS after i lost my VPS 9 last month but unfortunately it doesn't allowed to host gameserver which is good decision by @F7N because we know it easier to attack gameservers which affect on entire machine. I wish i can test that VPS 15.

By the way, that was the greatest review i have ever read. Good job @deanhills

@arsalahmed786 If you check the VPS Plans, Hostlease has changed its policy about games servers. VPS 15 is now available for games server.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(03-21-2019, 12:20 PM)deanhills Wrote: @arsalahmed786 If you check the VPS Plans, Hostlease has changed its policy about games servers. VPS 15 is now available for games server.

hmm, glad to know that but it's already too late. I wish whoever get that great opportunity to have VPS 15 will use that VPS for good usage.
Terminal
Best Regards,
Global Moderator of Post4VPS 

I have tested VPS 15!
Before using it to Test Others!
The reason the SSD is slowing down is likely to be on the cable that needs to be replaced!

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Reflya.../bench.log
Terminal
Solo Developer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
07-18-2021, 08:47 AM
Last Post: fChk
 Evolution Host  VPS 10 Review
05-31-2021, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Decent12
 Evolution Host  VPS 10 Review
05-31-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Decent12
 Host4Fun  VPS 1 Review
05-11-2021, 10:34 PM
Last Post: fChk
04-30-2021, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Sn1F3rt

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting