arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to test your VPS' network speed.
Information 
First, I'd like to thank my sponsors, Shadow Hosting and P4V for the fantastic VPS.

I'm fairly new to a few of these things, but I've been using Linux for a long time.

Today, I wanted to tell you how to check your VPS' network speed.

SSH into your VPS like normal.

Check to see if you have Python installed by typing:

python -v

If it's not installed, you can install it with:

sudo apt-get install python

or

yum install python

However, it's probably already installed for you.

Once you have it installed, you can use wget to get the speedtest.cli file. If, for some reason, you don't have wget installed, you can use one of the other install commands above and just change python to wget.

Grab the file like this:

wget -O speedtest-cli https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py

Now, you'll haev to make it executable, by entering this:

chmod +x speedtest-cli

Now, you can run the python script with just this commend:

./speedtest-cli

If you'd like to share the results, just change the command to:

./speedtest-cli --share

You'll then get a URL in the resulting text and it will give you an image that you can share with other people.

The result looks like this:

[Image: 7877659948.png]

Which, as you can see, is pretty fantastic!

Click here for a list of other arguments.

I'll write more of these little tutorials as I go and as I learn (assuming I have time).
Happily sponsored by Shadow Hosting & Post4VPS!
Ah, you post such a nice tutorials.
But actually, I did it in more easy way.
sudo apt-get install speedtest-cli

Then it works like your command,
speedtest-cli --share

And as I can know, Hetzner and ShadowHosting's VPS is very-very fast!
Congratulations on your new VPS 5!
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
Thanks and speedtest-cli didn't show up in the default CentOS repositories when I told yum to look for it. So, I figured I'd make sure the tutorial doesn't depend on it being in the repo.

So far, it has been pretty educational.
Happily sponsored by Shadow Hosting & Post4VPS!
@tiwil I thought one had to install python first? Or maybe this is because my OS is CentOS? I've been using the identical steps @KGIII has shown in the OP including using ./speedtest-cli --share command to get my shared speedtest .png file.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
@deanhills and @KGIII,
I see. I never use CentOS before, so I think I want to reply with that code. I don't know if speedtest-cli is not inside CentOS repository.

I think it's better to put like [CentOS] in the title? So CentOS users can come and see what you did to test the speed.

Anyway, nice tutorials!
(12-14-2018, 10:24 PM)tiwil Wrote: @deanhills and @KGIII,
I see. I never use CentOS before, so I think I want to reply with that code. I don't know if speedtest-cli is not inside CentOS repository.

I think it's better to put like [CentOS] in the title? So CentOS users can come and see what you did to test the speed.

Anyway, nice tutorials!

True. I think I mentioned CentOS in my post - but yes, for clarification this tutorial works with CentOS and other OS may be slightly different. Possibly @KGIII could add CentOS to the title of this thread by editing it.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(12-14-2018, 11:21 AM)tiwil Wrote: Ah, you post such a nice tutorials.
But actually, I did it in more easy way.
sudo apt get install speedtest-cli

Then it works like your command,
speedtest-cli --share

And as I can know, Hetzner and ShadowHosting's VPS is very-very fast!
Congratulations on your new VPS 5!

Simple because you using Debian Linux Distribution, its not work in RHEL or another distro. That's why the tutorial must install phyton in the first.. and you missing something in your command "apt-get"
(12-23-2018, 01:34 PM)icaksh Wrote: Simple because you using Debian Linux Distribution, its not work in RHEL or another distro. That's why the tutorial must install phyton in the first.. and you missing something in your command "apt-get"

I don't know what OP's OS, so I decided to put it there. I know he's using CentOS after someone replied again.

And, thanks for your input, I usually use only "apt" instead of full "apt-get", like "sudo apt install package".
I have already posted this thread last year, you can check it from HERE. I think repeating posts isn't allowed here, is it?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
02-28-2018, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Dudi

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting