arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to deal with Mining In Your Web Browser
Few weeks ago I had this problem with The Pirate Bay Site. I use it to check pilot episodes of  new TV series and I have started feeling like somethings not right with PC. Seems little bit slow than it usually is. I always have several programs and lots of sites open so CPU usage is usually heavy. But this time it's extra slow so I tested software as well as sites in browser to see which one is the culprit. It was TPB. After checking about this online I learn they are using a codehive without saying to users.

But today its seems lots of sites using these codehive scripts specially sites like TPB and also those stream sites. Well, I don't mind if they do it with user permission and using acceptable level of CPU but it seems now this is getting out of hand. Not all virus guards detect these for now. Im sure they will start detecting these in future. So what you can do for now ?

There are few good Addons for Google Chrome. for example No Coin addon and MinerBlock addon works great.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/minerblock/emikbbbebcdfohonlaifafnoanocnebl?hl=en

I use MinerBlock for Firefox and it works pretty good.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/minerblock-origin/

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

Thank you for the suggestions @xdude.  Chrome will probably never help me as one's settings only take in effect when one is logged in with them - which I refuse to do.  The add on for Mozilla Firefox has me worried when it came up with this warning:

[Image: 5Ulk37r.png]

That is what worries me. For every "remedy" one applies, there's a possibility of a conflict or another hole that can be hacked in. It's like taking a whole lot of medicine for X health issue, and then developing a Y health issue from medicine's that conflict with the health. I'd rather be warned either by the site asking for permission or my browser so I stay away from sites like that.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Well in this case I don't think addon has much choice about it. It need access to all sites if it to automatically scan all those sites for this plus tabs. But I wonder if it can't just check the source code of each site and decide if there is any codehives in it ? This is an open source addon and it's Source code available on Github. So I don't think they can do any funny business. Also So far nobody has found any loopholes. There are about 200k people using it.

I thought about those things too. But at end I have decided to use it. I couldn't find a reason not to plus im pissed about this mining situation.

(12-01-2018, 09:31 AM)xdude Wrote: I thought about those things too. But at end I have decided to use it. I couldn't find a reason not to plus im pissed about this mining situation.
I probably need to do it too - although want to think about it for a bit. I'm almost certain you're right that if it is a open source venture that in all likelihood it will be safe to use. Only thing that worries me are "honest" conflicts. Hopefully the browsers will start to pick up on it too, and warn one.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
I can totally understand what you mean. Here we have this proverb, Like has exchanged Chili for ginger. Means you got into bigger mess by trying to sort out smaller one. There are plenty of anti-mining addons but I picked this one mainly because it's been in used for a while and used by lots of people and it's open source.

I like Cryptocurrency. I have a big interest about these even thought I don't know much. But I don't like this using our computers under our own noses without our permission. Even US telly giant CBS's Showtime .com and ShowtimeAnytime .com have caught silently mining Monero coins without notifying users. Do you can't trust anyone these days. Smile

If you are already using adblockers such as µBlock Origin or similar you can simply subscribed to blacklists that block all kind of existing web browser miners. I think µBlock Origin even has this as a default. No need for a additional plugin or application.
I spoke to the devil in Miami, he said everything would be fine.
µBlock Origin is the best and lightest too. also very configurable.

https://github.com/hoshsadiq/adblock-nocoin-list

this here is a good list.

i am currently looking into better ways to block the script but load the site. May be noscript or some other open source scriptblocker might work well with modifications.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
block mining is much better than blocking ads . ads isnt that annoying mostly just a box with adverts on it but mining eat your cpu resource and lowering your user experience , heating up the processor , and the profit isnt that much basically it isnt worth the time to add miner . get an ads instead

those mining script disrespect low end pc that have low power and most of them can crash or locked up when the cpu get to the max because low end pc cannot handle that by design , my previous 2 pcs will be and always slow down and almost locked up when go to website with miner on it . on my current pc it will heat up so much that it will throtle badly even with an external fan used all the time when going to website with miner

getting low amount of money / cryptocurrency for reduction in user and user experience . how good is that? who though about web miner they thing all people use high specs pc?
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
I would recommend to use Kaspersky. I know, antiviruses has alot of criticism. But at the end, I use Kaspersky(With my private intelligence defender, both works great and can work without any conflict between). I have been using it, and for "real time" blocking of mining scripts and other malicious scripts, I would recommend Kaspersky. Otherwise, I would rather be a bit hardworking on blocking all known/famous website's domain by forwarding their DNS to 127.0.0.1.

At the end, its your wish to use extensions/addons. But beware, the message @deanhills have received about permission warnings must not be taken granted.
Premium Web Hosting | ShadowCrypt | Manal Shaikh Official Website
If you find my post/thread useful, you're supposed to +rep me. 
I used Kaspersky years ago but after a while, it had become more troubling than viruses themselves. When I had it auto it started blocking functions of legit applications and when I put it on asking for permission it just keeps asking for close stuff all the time. At the end, I had to look for another virus guard. Hopefully, browsers are doing more to prevent this kind of problem. Recently I saw a popular Youtube Downloader plugin suspended by Firefox because they started doing browser mining.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
12-23-2017, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Arkiven4

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting