arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My HelioHost Experience!
(11-25-2020, 03:00 AM)deanhills Wrote: @tiwil  You're right.  it's a supply and demand thing.  But have you tried Johnny lately?  It was definitely not slow.  Like there was a blimp only for 5 minutes or so, but in overall speed was completely acceptable to me.  Maybe there are less active users than there usually are.  

I'll report back later after I've given the cpanel a greater workout.

To be honest, I'm no longer interested with free hosting stuff. I have a VPS from here and sometimes one of paid hosting provider in my country have a promo where the lowest package only cost $1/6 mo for the first payment. I usually just get that plan and move my website there. Much more reliable than free hosting. If it's ended then I move my website back to the VPS. Just a static file, easy. Install on both party and do the DNS, job done.

Last time I'm using free hosting probably 3 years ago. That time Johnny is really slow, I should wait around 3-5 seconds before my web get displayed when I visit it. Very bad experience that time. Then I just took Tommy which works really nice but really need effort to get an account there. Looks good if an improvement already made.
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
(11-26-2020, 04:10 AM)tiwil Wrote: To be honest, I'm no longer interested with free hosting stuff. I have a VPS from here and sometimes one of paid hosting provider in my country have a promo where the lowest package only cost $1/6 mo for the first payment. I usually just get that plan and move my website there. Much more reliable than free hosting. If it's ended then I move my website back to the VPS. Just a static file, easy. Install on both party and do the DNS, job done.

Last time I'm using free hosting probably 3 years ago. That time Johnny is really slow, I should wait around 3-5 seconds before my web get displayed when I visit it. Very bad experience that time. Then I just took Tommy which works really nice but really need effort to get an account there. Looks good if an improvement already made.

You can't compare free hosting with VPS.

VPS requires some linux knowledge even you use the "one-line" install script for web hosting environment while for hosting you only need to know how to install and post on wordpress.

If we limit the search scope on "cPanel free hosts,as far as I know the currently working one is only heliohost.If we remove the control panel restrictions there are still many good free hosts,most from your local area.For example,[WaZhanFou] here, a blog provides fast free hosting that is optimized for Chinese connections but they use DirectAdmin panel.Even [AFreeCloud] from my initial look.(but China isn't in their country list.)
VPS 3 Provided by Post4vps and Racknerd .
(11-26-2020, 04:25 AM)mzltest Wrote: You can't compare free hosting with VPS.

VPS requires some linux knowledge even you use the "one-line" install script for web hosting environment while for hosting you only need to know how to install and post on wordpress.

If we limit the search scope on "cPanel free hosts,as far as I know the currently working one is only heliohost.If we remove the control panel restrictions there are still many good free hosts,most from your local area.For example,[WaZhanFou] here, a blog provides fast free hosting that is optimized for Chinese connections but they use DirectAdmin panel.Even [AFreeCloud] from my initial look.(but China isn't in their country list.)

Correct. We cannot compare free hosting (even paid one) with a VPS. But at that post I'm answering to Deanhills question which is "Have you tried Johnny lately?" which I don't because I have a VPS. I also add my opinion about how to move thing which a little bit out of topic. At the end I also say about my experience about Johnny when I used it some years ago.  Wink
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
(11-26-2020, 06:46 AM)tiwil Wrote: Correct. We cannot compare free hosting (even paid one) with a VPS. But at that post I'm answering to Deanhills question which is "Have you tried Johnny lately?" which I don't because I have a VPS. I also add my opinion about how to move thing which a little bit out of topic. At the end I also say about my experience about Johnny when I used it some years ago.  Wink
Ugh.I misunderstood it.Sorry for that.

I once tried heliohost too but not that deeper as you.Mostly because its low speed in China.There are some articles introducing it but not many really.
From an article it says in 2013 it seems to offer 500MB space.

On some hosting rating sites it receives mixed comments.

If you you have your domain and no ssl is OK,maybe freehosting.com is good to go?
(11-26-2020, 06:46 AM)tiwil Wrote: Correct. We cannot compare free hosting (even paid one) with a VPS. But at that post I'm answering to Deanhills question which is "Have you tried Johnny lately?" which I don't because I have a VPS. I also add my opinion about how to move thing which a little bit out of topic. At the end I also say about my experience about Johnny when I used it some years ago.  Wink

Thanks for the feedback @tiwil. You were completely correct in your original assessment of Johnny.  Today when I tried to access cpanel, this is what came up:

[Image: 3LdzjEm.png]

@mzltest Also mentioned in one of his posts that this may happen.

So in essence after the 24 hour period I had to wait in order for Heliohost to sort out my hosting, it got worse, not better.

I'll try again tomorrow if and when I want to remember to do so .... Tongue
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Well, I'm a Moderator at HelioHost, and a part of their Staff so I should be clarifying stuff here. 

Firstly, HelioHost signups open everyday at midnight UTC. Tommy is the most stable server and Johnny and Ricky have not so good performance, and hence Tommy is everyone's choice. Thus, Tommy free signups fill in a few seconds, Ricky lasts for a few minutes and Johnny a few hours. Performance ratio is proportionate. 

The donate and ads help run HelioHost, if you aren't aware we own physical servers with a datacenter at Silicon valley, and it costs $600/mo to keep HH running, which goes mostly from the pockets of the Admins. Year after year HH runs on a loss, yet the Admins cover up whatever is left out. 

You can always donate $1 and get an invitation to our best server Tommy, skipping the waiting queue. That is optional though, however, you'll have to act quick at midnight to grab a Tommy slot, a lot of people try for days before they get an account finally. 

I'll be happy to answer any of your  queries regarding the service, I've been associated with them since a couple of years. Smile
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
@sohamb03  Wish the content of your post could be evident in the content of the Website.  That is mostly my criticism.  Your knowledge is not general knowledge in the Website.  That little game with waiting and then waiting again is really unnecessary.  Instead you could get the person to sign up like they do at any free host, and then send an e-mail that sets out the scenario exactly as you stated, including that 1$ will secure an invitation for Tommy.

Communication in the Website is very poor.  But yes, I've now learned first hand Johnny is not a very reliable server.  To be honest my main objective for testing HelioHost was to see whether it had genuine cPanel.  And it does have that with Softaculous and all apps are up to date as well.  So from that point of view, my mission has been accomplished. HelioHost does come with top notch cpanel. For my own needs I'm more into VPS, and have a shared hosting account that more than meets my needs also with cpanel.  So probably should close this discussion from me.  If any other of our members have had experiences with HelioHost they would like to share, I'll keep the discussion open for an opportunity to respond.
Terminal
@deahills .. I understand what you say, but we already have a wiki which can be found in the navigation menu of the home page with all the information you need. Besides we have a dedicated forum, which is meant for support. You can just make a post and anyone will assist you with all your question.

Glad to know that your objective is achieved. Wink
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
It is just 10 minutes after they open the registeration.(Now it's 8:10 am here)and what @sohamb03 said is true.The tommy server is full within seconds.I guess it's less than 10 second as after a refresh I was unable to signup...Finally i was able to signup at ricky.(And as I want to use the same username for Johnny,the account deletetion takes time so I have to use a different one.....)
--Update--
Here's the server info(IP address was hidden foe security reasons)
[Image: Screenshot-20201207-093053.jpg]
Thanks for the feedback @mzltest To be honest, it feels like a game to me. Not really my cup of tea. I've also forgotten about my Heliohost account. It wasn't really working as it should.

I very successfully created and updated my phpBB Forum at Limitless Hosting. Their cPanel hosting is awesome. And very cheap. Forum works great. If it hadn't been for how the tools had been set up in the cPanel, I would never have been able to update the phpBB version. Updating phpBB is even more important than myBB, as it can make the difference with being hacked or not. So am very grateful of having that cpanel hosting account. And also sad that Gigarocket cpanel hosting is no longer available.
Terminal
Pages (2):

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting