arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing Ubuntu on Desktop in pre-exist partition
I beg your pardon. Are you performing selective reading and leaving out a big part of what I said?

You don't recreate and you don't delete any partitions. You also don't delete any data.

You reduce the size of your Windows partition by the amount of space that you require for your Linux installation. Ideally you do this with enough free space on the Windows partition to prevent data loss (e.g. resizing a full partition will always mean data loss because you take away filled space).

Example (simple)

Current Windows partition: 128 GB total, used 70 GB, free 58 GB

Partition layout of the 128 GB total drive with Windows partitions on it:
[Image: cVt4MnR.png]

You shrink the Windows partition by 32 GB. So the overall partition size is reduced from 128 GB to 96 GB and at the same time the free space available on the Windows partition goes down 26 GB.

Windows partition after shrinking: 96 GB total, used 70 GB, free 26 GB

Unpartitioned space: 32 GB

[Image: S5mgUIN.png]

Now you can use this 32 GB free and unpartitioned space to create a Linux partition on it (or multiple partitions if you'd like to split up the boot partition and etc... which is probably too much information for you already - I beg your pardon once again).

Windows disk management contains all necessary tools to resize partitions. You can alternatively download different partitioning software to resize the Windows partition such as Paragon Partition Manager Community Edition, MiniTool Partition Wizard, EaseUS Partition Master Free or a Live CD of gparted (you need to boot from it to manage partitions).

Guides to use Windows onboard tools:
- https://www.petri.com/shrink-system-part...-windows-7 (also works on Windows 10)
- https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/...ition.html

Does this explanation serve you well enough? I feel like no matter what I say and how I say it... my explanation is something most don't seem to understand.

Quote:The fact of installing ubuntu into " C " Drive is still confusing me.

Don't think about this and absolutely about forget it. It's not a fact and it's not possible.

Here is how I would proceed in the Ubuntu installation after creating free space by reducing the size of the Windows partition.

Select "something else" when asked how you want to install Ubuntu to the disk.
[Image: KSiNejf.png]

Select the free space and click on the little plus icon to create a new partiton.
[Image: X50oTUR.png]

Use the full free space, select "primary partition", select "Ext4 journaling file system" at Use as, select the mount point "/" (root directory) and click on OK.
[Image: OXDojQS.png]

Here is how the partition layout looks now.
[Image: QeinAOx.png]

1. All Windows partitions are still there and work as intended.
2. A third partition exists with the EXT4 file system where Linux will be installed.

Select the new EXT4 partition and click on Install Now. It will ask you whethere you really want to create the partition - confirm this question.

The installation begins. After it is finished just reboot. You will be greeted by the GRUB boot loader where you can choose to boot Ubuntu or Windows.

[Image: lJHF6tx.png]

[Image: FARRVXS.png]

Linux always reports as slightly different disk space than Windows.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
Linux always reports as slightly different disk space than Windows :
yes . it is because linux and macOS use Gigabyte instead of weird Gibibyte that windows uses

that is the reason why windows size is smaller than other os that use normal gigabyte . for me i dont see a reason to using a gibibyte . it make confusion not soluiton
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
Thanks all of you guyz. Finally i have installed Ubuntu successfully. Special Thanks to @Hidden Refuge.

Thanks to Post4VPS and Hostlease for their great services.  
@Rehan  Please don't use the report tool to close your own thread.  The report tool is not intended for reporting your own discussions. If you want to close a thread, please create a closing post with the reason why you think the thread must be closed and a request to the staff to close it. You could have done it in your last post above. That way it shows courtesy too to the other members who participated that the discussion has come to an end.

It's only when it is someone else's thread that you think should be closed, that you should use the report button. Not your own thread.

- closed -
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Pages (2):
lockThread Closed 

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting