arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting up and maintaining aquariums
(12-04-2019, 10:11 AM)humanpuff69 Wrote: the image is look like it is from virtual aquarium thing that used to be very popular back then as wallpaper . by the way the aquarium look very clean which is extremely rare . from my experience seeing aquarium most of them isnt clear like that and have distinctive smell

Whenever you see such an aquarium that’s not clean. It just goes to show that whoever is responsible for maintaining it isn’t doing a good job at it. It’s really not rocket science to keep an aquarium clean. Get a proper filtration system that’s rated for your size of aquarium. And perform partial water changes every now and then. Along with cleaning the filter(s) on a regular basis. And don’t forget to monitor the water quality (e.g. pH, nitrates, etc...). Just because the water looks clean doesn’t necessarily mean it’s clean.

(12-07-2019, 05:04 AM)sagher Wrote: It is really a expensive and over caring Job. i have a aquarium and about 3 species of fish. but after wetout alot of my money i sell them. but a tip is free for you. make a proper water pump system and oxygen intake (use sensor for it) and spices of fish maters.

I highly agree with you. The amount of constant effort that you have to invest on it is just overwhelming. It eventually becomes a tedious task that you really wished someone else would do for you. And there’s always someone on YouTube telling you that you’re doing it all wrong {sigh}.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
Make a small poultry an about 10 to 50 Hens of Golden breed is much better petting then fish aquarium. even you got Eggs in return. they only need to be cleaning and a vaccination after 3 to 6 months and a 20sft backyard. food are too much under budget. and even Hens are more loving then a fish. you can hold them love them. hug them. and also your breakfast is going to be full of protein and taste.
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
(12-13-2019, 08:07 AM)sagher Wrote: Make a small poultry an about 10 to 50 Hens of Golden breed is much better petting then fish aquarium. even you got Eggs in return. they only need to be cleaning and a vaccination after 3 to 6 months and a 20sft backyard. food are too much under budget. and even Hens are more loving then a fish. you can hold them love them. hug them. and also your breakfast is going to be full of protein and taste.

You have a very good point. I could definitely make use of free and fresh eggs in the mornings. However, hens tend to be, dare i say, stinky. It would also be annoying cleaning up the feathers that they tend to shed. And I’m sure their sound would also be a problem.

But honestly, it’s up to the person and what they prefer. Some might find fish keeping worse.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
@ikk157 @humanpuff69

Yes. Discus fish demands a lot. Takes time and money. I just had fallen in love with them so I went from keeping to breeding them. There is always high demand for them so it's easy to find buyers. But it can take a toll on you. They are super sensitve about everything. Someone always has to stay there to make sure air pumps and filtrs are working and also feed them. Discus babies need to be fed 8 times a day for 2 years. Also you need to change 50% of water everyday too. Also what you feed them is not regular fish food. Also there are qualities. So pair of grown avarage quality Discusfish can be minium 50-100 usd.

Now the clearness. There are several reasons why tanks not clear. The basic reason is because either fishkeeper has no clue what he/she does or doesn't care. Second reason is tanks filter system is not powerful enough for the tank or it's not cleaned or well maintained. Plus if you r keeping Goldfish or Koi, then needs extra poweful filter system as well as water changes more often. Also have to make sure you don't have too many fish in your tank or result would be a not so clear water.

Well it doesn't has to be expensive or over caring. You just need to know what you are dong. If you want extreeming beautiful fish like Discusfish then yes you need to invest both time and money. If you want to keep messy fish like Goldfish then you need to make sure you have right number of fish, tank size and extra powerful filters. Plus regular water changes.

But if you want to have not so expensive tank which you don't have to touch for 3-6 months, that's easy too. You just need to know the basics. What you need bigger tank, less fish and good filter system. For example lets say you have a 3 feet tank. You can setup a Tetra fish tank. small types. If you need it to run auto for months then you need a canister filter. But settting this up is not hard at all.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

(12-25-2019, 04:37 AM)xdude Wrote: @ikk157 @humanpuff69

Yes. Discus fish demands a lot. Takes time and money. I just had fallen in love with them so I went from keeping to breeding them. There is always high demand for them so it's easy to find buyers. But it can take a toll on you. They are super sensitve about everything. Someone always has to stay there to make sure air pumps and filtrs are working and also feed them. Discus babies need to be fed 8 times a day for 2 years. Also you need to change 50% of water everyday too. Also what you feed them is  not regular fish food. Also there are qualities. So pair of grown avarage quality Discusfish can be minium 50-100 usd.

Now the clearness. There are several reasons why tanks not clear. The basic reason is because either fishkeeper has no clue what he/she does or doesn't care. Second reason is tanks filter system is not powerful enough for the tank or it's not cleaned or well maintained. Plus if you r keeping Goldfish or Koi, then needs extra poweful filter system as well as water changes more often. Also have to make sure you don't have too many fish in your tank or result would be a not so clear water.

Well it doesn't has to be expensive or over caring. You just need to know what you are dong. If you want extreeming beautiful fish like Discusfish then yes you need to invest both time and money. If you want to keep messy fish like Goldfish then you need to make sure you have right number of fish, tank size and extra powerful filters. Plus regular water changes.

But if you want to have not so expensive tank which you don't have to touch for 3-6 months, that's easy too. You just need to know the basics. What you need bigger tank, less fish and good filter system. For example lets say you have a 3 feet tank. You can setup a Tetra fish tank. small types. If you need it to run auto for months then you need a canister filter. But settting this up is not hard at all.

You have some solid points right there! I really enjoyed reading your post!

You are absolutely right, many people have no clue on what they’re doing. And a good portion of them don’t even care! And the worst are the people that thing they’re doing things properly even though they’re not! I absolutely HATE it when i see people putting fish in the small aquarium bowls with zero filtration, zero aeration, zero heating and so on. It really makes me feel disgusted! 

Not to mention the ones that simply dump their newly bought fish into the aquarium without even bothering with the entire acclimation process. And the ones that won’t let a newly setup tank cycle. I can keep on going forever at what mistakes I’ve seen being done on a frequent manner. And the response i get when i tell them how to do things properly is mostly “{insert name here} does it like that and his fish lived for {insert amount of time here}”. That makes me absolutely mad!!! Just because they managed to survive under those conditions doesnt mean that they’re healthy!!!
Also if you have bigger fish then it's better to have a barebottom tank. I'm talking about fish bigger than 8 inches or so. It makes to easier to clean the tank as well as more space for the fish to swim. I have big Goldfish so they are in barebottom tanks. Unfortunatly I lost 2 of my favorites recently. It was a hot day and I was away at work from morning to evening. For some unknown reason 8 hour power cut has happened. 2 of my biggest Orandas were dead by the time I was back home. One of them were a massive 12 inch single tail Oranda which was grown from one of the 5 eggs survived in main tank. Something like this happened in last year too. I was not home and there had been a long power cut. Lost a huge female Black Oranda.

I think I won't be buying anymore Goldfish. I want start a planted comiunity in my 4 feet main tank. But I don't think I can do it anytime soon since I do have bunch of Goldfish there as well as some in 2 others tanks outside. Not to mention tank full of 1-2 inches size Goldfish fry.

(01-24-2020, 10:08 AM)xdude Wrote: Also if you have bigger fish then it's better to have a barebottom tank. I'm talking about fish bigger than 8 inches or so. It makes to easier to clean the tank as well as more space for the fish to swim. I have big Goldfish so they are in barebottom tanks. Unfortunatly I lost 2 of my favorites recently. It was a hot day and I was away at work from morning to evening. For some unknown reason 8 hour power cut has happened. 2 of my biggest Orandas were dead by the time I was back home. One of them were a massive 12 inch single tail Oranda which was grown from one of the 5 eggs survived in main tank. Something like this happened in last year too. I was not home and there had been a long power cut. Lost a huge female Black Oranda.

I think I won't be buying anymore Goldfish. I want start a planted comiunity in my 4 feet main tank. But I don't think I can do it anytime soon since I do have bunch of Goldfish there as well as some in 2 others tanks outside. Not to mention tank full of 1-2 inches size Goldfish fry.

As much as bare bottom tanks give the fish more space to swim. I really don’t recommend them.

Many species of fish don’t have teeth, and hence they rely on gravel to “chew” their food. That’s exactly why you tend to observe them “eating” gravel and eventually spitting it out, they’re not mistaking it for food. They’re using it to break the food they’ve eaten into smaller bits, giving the effect of chewing the food.

Moreover, gravel in fish tanks tends to hide any poop or food remnants that have sunk into the bottom and aren’t within the reach of the filter. This looks much more appealing then having a pile of poop on the bottom of a bare bottom tank. It also plays a role in the break down of the poop and eaten food.

In addition, it increases the surface area for good bacteria to grow. Now i do have ceramic pieces in my filter which also do just that, but gravel tends to also help.
(02-03-2020, 12:14 PM)ikk157 Wrote: As much as bare bottom tanks give the fish more space to swim. I really don’t recommend them.

Many species of fish don’t have teeth, and hence they rely on gravel to “chew” their food. That’s exactly why you tend to observe them “eating” gravel and eventually spitting it out, they’re not mistaking it for food. They’re using it to break the food they’ve eaten into smaller bits, giving the effect of chewing the food.

Moreover, gravel in fish tanks tends to hide any poop or food remnants that have sunk into the bottom and aren’t within the reach of the filter. This looks much more appealing then having a pile of poop on the bottom of a bare bottom tank. It also plays a role in the break down of the poop and eaten food.

In addition, it increases the surface area for good bacteria to grow. Now i do have ceramic pieces in my filter which also do just that, but gravel tends to also help.

Somehow I missed some of my favorite topics. All these things depend on the type of fish, size of the tank, etc. There are types of fish that need some sort of gravel or sand. For example Loaches, Cory cats, etc do need sand. Some of these fish don't feel comfortable unless they can high under sand some time to time. It's their way of having short vacations. Also there bottom-dwelling fish like some types of Cichlid who prefer to dig holes and lay eggs.

But there is plenty of other fish which doesn't need sand or who would make a mess of that. A good example is DiscusFish. People think they need an Amazon-like environment with sand plants driftwood etc. But in reality, if you want Discusfish which look bright with no dark spots of patches and super healthy then bare bottom tanks are the best for them.

Even same goes for fish like Goldfish and Carp. Oh many don't even know Goldfish have big teeth. You can find fallen Goldfish teeth at bottom of the tank sometimes. Smile

I've been working on setting up a 40gal saltwater aquarium with a custom sump. I've not had whole lot of time and capital to be able to work on it, but I'm hoping once I have my new house I will be able to start working on it more. One of the projects I want to do is take some of the APIs for the testing equipment I am looking at and develop a custom app to be able to dose and maintain my tank no matter where I am.
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.
Pages (2):

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting