arrow_upward

Poll: To ban or not to ban; that is the question
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Ban no one
50.00%
Ban Russia
0%
Ban China
50.00%
Ban Both
0%
Total
2 vote(s)
100%

* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To ban or not to ban; that is the question
I've had my vps now for 4 days, and I'm already sick of these probing attempts and cracking attempts.

Every day it seems like I get about 30 obvious probes. These probes consistently come from 2 distinct regions: Russia & China.

Before I go any further I want to apologize to any forum users from these areas. I am not blaming anyone for these wrongs. It's entirely possible that the machines querying me are infected and the owners aren't aware of what the operators are doing.

Also as an open source advocate the worst possible thing I can think of to do to someone is to deny them of information. By blocking China and Russia I'll be denying myself and a lot of other people a lot of potentially great interactions. The purpose of the internet is to bring people together not drive them apart.

However, the problem still exists. Furthermore, I haven't even begun to promote the site. It has 0 backlinks. No one should be able to find me. Whoever is doing this is systematically searching large blocks of ips for specific vulnerabilities. Thus far I appear to have warded off all attacks. What then is going to happen if I decide to do a lot of marketing and promoting? How many attacks a day can I expect then?

I'm wondering if anyone else has had these problems, or similar.

Also, if placed in this position what would you do?

I'm going to attempt to make a poll regarding this. Please feel free to state your reasons after voting. I am curious to know how other people deal with this or if they experience similar.
Is this an VPS from P4H? I'd say just to run CF behind any website and it would surely block and bots. Furthermore, if they attempt any brute force, just run fail2ban or any software of block anything from them.

If I were you, if I could not move out, then I would close my system as much as I can and not really worry. there is nothing to worry if they can't have a means to get in.

In the other hand, the argument of that of blocking geographical areas seems to be a good point not many bring up in areas of conflict like these. Look for any similarities, if all (this main pertains to Russia) IPs come from DC's then block them using tools like NastyHosts. China is just a mixed bag, but you do as you please.
@MrMonkey This is not a vps from post4vps.com but from another similar provider. When  you say CF are you referring to cloudflare?

I've seen them mentioned before and if you use their service an honest assessment/review would be much appreciated.

I only brought it up because I was remembering back to when google banned china for some period of time.  I really hate to ban anyone based on nothing but their geophysical location. I've had some interesting discussions with both Chinese and Russians, and I really don't want to do that.

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting