arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIrtualizor and control panels?
When I get into the web interface for Virtualizor, I click to manage the VPN.

On that screen, there's a "Control Panels" option. I click it.

I click to install one and it happily tells me that it will install it the next time it has rebooted.

I reboot the VPS.

I try to go to (ip-address):port and there's nothing there.

At this point, I've tried all sorts of combinations. I did get CentOS Web Panel installed, but that one kind of sucked.

What am I doing wrong?
Happily sponsored by Shadow Hosting & Post4VPS!
@KGIII  I was an administrator of a VPS host who used Virtualizor panel for a few years.  Through that experience I learned the hard way that although the Virtualizor panel may look as though it can do lots of things, it can only do that which it has been set up and configured by the host to do.  The panel can only load OSs that it has been configured by the host to load. The very confusing part of Virtualizor is that it may look as though the OS is available, and even feel as though it is linked to the OS, but it hasn't been set up to load the OS. Ditto any of the other tools one sees in the panel - like one thinks one can load cPanel or any of the other panels, but they can only really be loaded if they have been configured by the host to load.  

So you've done the absolute right thing to report it here.  Rule is usually that post4vps has to ask the sponsor, but maybe @Manal will pick up on it directly.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Thank you. I was really, really worried that it was something that I was doing wrong at my end. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with that issue.
I usually advocate to not use any control panel to host personal sites on a VPS. I mean if you operate a VPS... you probably should know how things work the CLI way and using no control panel usually saves a lot of resources inlcuding RAM, disk space, bandwidth and also money if a paid control panel would have been used. If you really need one I wouldn't use this precooked options like the one from Virtualizor or other installers that are around. It is better to install the panel manually as per documentation of the corresponding control panel.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
Hello KGIII,

The control panel is currently not available to be installed on your VPS right now due to some reasons. However, I'm going to start working on this as you just have informed me. I will find the way out and will probably inform you for the same.

Thank you,
Manal S.
Premium Web Hosting | ShadowCrypt | Manal Shaikh Official Website
If you find my post/thread useful, you're supposed to +rep me. 
Agreed with @"Hidden Refuge",
I have installed panel from Virtualizator before, and it's really sucks. I don't like their "built-in" control panel. I better install it manually because I'll have more access to what I should edit and etc.

And also, you can rely on @Manal. He's a nice guy with fast support. I hope he solves this problem and another coming problem.
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
(12-15-2018, 10:40 AM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: I usually advocate to not use any control panel to host personal sites on a VPS. I mean if you operate a VPS... you probably should know how things work the CLI way and using no control panel usually saves a lot of resources inlcuding RAM, disk space, bandwidth and also money if a paid control panel would have been used. If you really need one I wouldn't use this precooked options like the one from Virtualizor or other installers that are around. It is better to install the panel manually as per documentation of the corresponding control panel.
In my own experience this depends on the control panel and how the panel has been set up - and also the specs of the server and VPSs.  I'm not a big fan of Virtualizor, but if it is set up correctly by a Tech Admin who knows his server very well, it can be set up with maximum benefit for both the server and for the users.  Also, with the very large specs we get these days with VPSs it shouldn't be the issue it used to be when RAM was 512MB.  When we were running Virtualizor for the first time in 2014, my VPS had 512 RAM and 10GB disk space - and the panel did make it feel slower - your point of view would have been very valid then.  Then when my RAM was increased in 2016, as most VPS hosts seem to be able to do these days to first 1GB RAM and then 2GB later on the panel was noticeably faster.  Thing is most clients are beginner Linux users and a panel, depending on how it has been set up, can be a huge help for both the users as well as the host.  

The best ever panel I've ever used has been with HostUS.  The Breeze Panel is lightning fast - and has been developed in-house to cater for HostUSs specific needs. My VPS only has 768 MB RAM which to me the fact that the Breeze Panel works so fast shows that the whole thing has been developed and set up by Tech Admins who know what they're doing. The focus in it is also beginner users and to get them to harden the security of their VPSs with tools in the Breeze Panel that have been specifically designed for that purpose, like helping inexperienced clients set up keyless entry and port number change from their panel.  With Virtualizer it's a one size fits all type panel with loads of icons and tools that aren't used - a waste of resources for sure.  You need an above average shrewd tech admin who can set it up properly.  In our case we had someone like that - who made minimal use of all the tools in the panel.  He did however load all of the important OS templates - with the exception of Windows.  When I first started using a VPS in 2014 I found the ability to reload my OS from a panel more than valuable.  Not sure how I'd have been able to learn what I learned without being able to reload the OS limitless times.  I wasn't even sure I wanted to use CentOS - and at least with all of the templates available, I could experiment with those as well.
Terminal
I'd also like to add to this and point out a couple of things.

While I'm not new to Linux, my VPS experience is fairly low. I'd not call myself a Linux admin, I'd call myself an end user. I have used a variety of VPSes (still not sure how to make that plural) in the past, I do best when I'm able to rely on something well authored and with good support.

I'd also mention that absolutely none of this is for production. I get bored and tear down the VPS, just so I can build a new one. None of the things I do are meant to ever be used by someone else - except for when I do some developing to help another project along. Even then, I'm not sure my code is up to snuff.

Basically, my goal is to learn lots and lots of new things. Which, to be quite frank, is exactly what I'm doing. Wink

I'm having loads of fun poking the various buttons, learning what they do, finding new features that I'd like to add, etc...

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to make kloxo-mr actually issue LetsEncrypt certs. Good times!

Learning and pushing buttons are some of my favorite things to do. By the time I'm done, I want to know how to set up, secure, and maintain a server - without needing to refer to a search engine. While doing that, I will help a project out by doing some development on said server.

It's pretty fun! I want to learn all the things!
@KGIII my goals are the same as yours. Strictly speaking I should circulate among all of the VPSs at post4vps as I love to see how fast I can set up a new VPS and build panels and Websites. I just get so attached to my VPS 9 however and specifically the location of Phoenix - relative to my ISP the Phoenix is the better one speed wise out of the three US locations. Unfortunately since VPS 9 doesn't have a control panel, I'm not using it to its full capacity of use - I'm being very careful with how I'm using it so it's mostly in static mode. With my HostUS cheap VPS I'm experimenting and playing all of the time along the lines you mentioned. I'm listening and learning in the Forum and trying new things on my HostUS VPS all the time - as it is very easy to start fresh - it has a brilliant panel for that purpose. I'm sure there are others too who use their VPS as a toy. Cool
Terminal

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
08-14-2017, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Vuluts
11-08-2016, 02:41 PM
Last Post: perry

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting