arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Virmach  VPS 9 Review - Phoenix Location
IP address(es) geolocation data cannot be trusted if you wish to find out the location of a server. Virmach (Virtual Machine Solutions LLC) seems to own the IP address block from which your VPS has received its IP address. They can basically change the geolocation data for the whole block at the IP RIR (probably ARIN). The IP geolocation could as well just point to anywhere else in the US or the world. Virmach is registered in Los Angeles, CA... I'm not sure why the IPs are geolocated to Las Vegas, NV though. They don't offer any service out of this location according to their own site (although a bit of Google research shows they did seem to have a Nevada location in Henderson, NV). If that location no longer exists then maybe the just use their old NV IP address block on different locations as they can route it to any DC/ASN at their RIR. One possible explanation. That of course means they didn't update the geolocation of the IP address(es).

Another possible reason why the IP address(es) are all geolocated to Las Vegas, NV might be a business reason. Like you may know companies that are registered somewhere else but do their business out of a different location (taxes, and so on). Mostly their IP address blocks get geolocated for that reason because they're company assets and cost money, too. That's possible and only works with IP address(es) that they fully own. Although they might be able to ask a provider to change the geolocation for rented IP space but in that case the ASN of the IP address(es) would be still the original one of the data center/provider. Basically like you as a normal customer can change the rDNS they can do a little more as customers of the data center with a RTO or colocation contract (or other form of contracts).

And another thing about the issue that you described "I used a VPN as well with Canada location, and whatismyipaddress then showed two locations for my IP - Frankfurt in Germany and Las Vegas, Nevada.". Sites use IP addresss geolocation databases. Those databases aren't always up to date or correct. So sites and services may use several of them. One might have the correct location and the might not. So depending on which databases handled the geolocation identification... the result can be wrong. I don't remember if I already told this little story. Basically a few years ago Google would say that I'd be from several different countries when I normally browsed it without any VPN. It would say I'm from Germany (correct) but another day or time it would say I'm from somewhere in Asia or suddenly in South America. The fun part was that the IP addresses I had were all from the same IP address block (so not even different IP blocks). Later on I learned that Google uses or used quite a number of geolocation services and they most likely either build their own databases used on datasets of other databases or were training their database for better results. Nowadays it seems to be better but when I use my VPN service I do see some wrong locations sometimes or it even says "Unknown location". TL;DR: you cannot trust this information really either.

Based on that I can most likely say or rather give a hint that probably speedtest.net has inaccurate IP geolocation information of the IP address block of your VPS. Which turned the speed test into a mess because it autopicked a server in Germany instead of the real location (backed up by the whatismyipaddress mismatch). And in regards of speedtest.net as a proper speed test for servers: no, it's not good for servers. You can test your home connection fine with it but not a server. For proper server testing iperf is still the best and most accurate thing to do. It will really max out the bandwidth you have to its limits.

To get any sense of the traceroutes we would actually need the full result (you can censor parts of the IP address). If the IP space is really protected (I guess its just a thing about DDoS protection) then you might actually never see your IP address ending up there. It won't respond in the traceroute as a part of its protection and the traceroute will end at some point.

And the IP space being protected... Oh. I can see what's going on. It is as @fChk already explained "I would say that the IP is Arizona-based and the first public router it hits is in Las Vegas, NV.". It's a mere 300 miles from Phoenix to Las Vegas. With fibre between the DCs the latency should fall short. Traceroute could help with that, too. Most likely the protected IP space is filtered through a DDoS protection service hosted in Las Vegas, NV. Hence why you don't see your VPS IP address on the VPS itself. The tunnel endpoint is in Las Vegas, NV where the VPS gets its IP but inbetween its using private IP range communication (Intranet).

Well, coming to think about it this situation is absolutely not special. We have this at our company. All our sites are connected with a MPLS fibre network. It is a huge Intranet and at our main site we have a IP breakout that is used to provide Internet to the Intranet. We also have several VPN breakout points at the main site and at the data center in Bavaria for VPN tunnels that we need for applications and servers.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]

Messages In This Thread
VPS 9 Review - Phoenix Location - by deanhills - 09-06-2018, 03:11 PM
RE: VPS 9 Review - Phoenix Location - by perry - 09-06-2018, 04:29 PM
RE: VPS 9 Review - Phoenix Location - by Mashiro - 09-06-2018, 06:42 PM
RE: VPS 9 Review - Phoenix Location - by tryp4vps - 09-07-2018, 05:47 AM
RE: VPS 9 Review - Phoenix Location - by tryp4vps - 08-30-2019, 06:30 AM
RE: VPS 9 Review - Phoenix Location - by Sn1F3rt - 08-31-2019, 06:20 PM
RE: VPS 9 Review - Phoenix Location - by tiwil - 09-01-2019, 04:36 AM
RE: VPS 9 Review - Phoenix Location - by ikk157 - 12-22-2019, 04:27 PM
RE: VPS 9 Review - Phoenix Location - by ikk157 - 12-22-2019, 06:04 PM
RE: VPS 9 Review - Phoenix Location - by tryp4vps - 12-23-2019, 01:17 PM
RE: VPS 9 Review - Phoenix Location - by fChk - 12-29-2019, 05:52 AM
RE: VPS 9 Review - Phoenix Location - by ikk157 - 12-25-2019, 04:11 PM
RE: VPS 9 Review - Phoenix Location - by ikk157 - 01-01-2020, 03:54 PM
RE: VPS 9 Review - Phoenix Location - by fChk - 12-31-2019, 08:15 AM
RE: VPS 9 Review - Phoenix Location - by Mashiro - 12-31-2019, 04:15 PM
RE: VPS 9 Review - Phoenix Location - by Mashiro - 01-01-2020, 03:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
07-18-2021, 08:47 AM
Last Post: fChk
 Evolution Host  VPS 10 Review
05-31-2021, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Decent12
 Evolution Host  VPS 10 Review
05-31-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Decent12
 Host4Fun  VPS 1 Review
05-11-2021, 10:34 PM
Last Post: fChk
04-30-2021, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Sn1F3rt

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting