arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Virmach  VPS 9 Review - Phoenix Location
(08-29-2019, 09:11 AM)deanhills Wrote: ...... Any way.  VPS 9 still rocks for me after all of this time.  Particularly its consistency with reliable up time and speed.

I cannot agree more. And your drive speed seems to be improved according to your latest test results. Smile

In fact, uptime of my VPS 9 has also been very impressive. Now its uptime is 595 days.

By the way, I did not know much about Virmach before I applied for my VPS 9. But with the great experience I have, I certainly do not regret recommending this good provider to my friends who need a stable host.

What I can see is that VPS 9 are really powerful! 
  • I/O speeds are really stunning thanks to SSD equipment!
  • Networking speeds... you tests provides us a nice idea how VirMach optimized its network
VirMach does an amazing job and these sponsored VPS are so good. If you tell somebody that VPS with such specs are givenaway.. well no one will believe you!
When I was looking for IP address to check my connection with the sponsored VPSes, VirMach was the first one that provived LookingGlass IPs.
The uptimes that you shared are unbeliveable  Eh
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
(08-30-2019, 01:43 PM)LightDestory Wrote: The uptimes that you shared are unbeliveable  Eh
True. I always feel like a very privileged user when I'm working with my VPS 9. If you work out how much it would cost to get a VPS with these specs, and you're getting it for 20 posts a month, for me it's always been special.

As it stands, we may have 4 VPS 9 available for the Giveaway on 1st of September. Remember when you apply you need to justify ownership of VPS 9.  Tell us what your project is going to be and why you would need VPS 9 for doing the project.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Thanks! Damn that is really really impressive , and this review was great , but VPS 4 is still holding its position when it comes to 10 GB Ram which is insane for a VPS , I wouldn't ever need this much of ram ever in a vps since I'm not into anything serious work , But knowing that there are so much more great possibility out there feels Good!
Anyway thanks for so detailed review !
@GodLikeGill: You might not need that much RAM but I really wished I could get that one. It's a monstrous thing! It's a beast! @rudra is a damn lucky guy to have that one.

Again a vote of thanks to @Manal for being so closely associated with the forum and doing his part effectively. He's a great guy with quality posts, I think I needn't speak of.

Anyways, the project which I've currently undertaken requires the server to be high on RAM and VPS 4 would have been a other one. Nevermind, VPS 9 is still a great one and there are others to, they shall surely suit my purpose.

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
VPS 9 is always outstanding. I can see how crazy the result from VPS 9. This VPS can be used for any high consuming apps.

But the only downside (which is why I never apply for VPS 9) is it's still OpenVZ and have no control panel! I cannot handle the VPS myself because of no control panel, and that's bad.
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
I've decided to let go of my VPS 9.  I don't have the time to struggle through issues that I think came through the upgrade automatic process.  I don't think the outcome is perfect.

For VPS 9 Phoenix the IP was changed to a German IP.  However, the networking of it got configured for a Phoenix IP, and I think somewhere around this kind of Networking, the speed of my VPS with the new IP vs the old Phoenix IP got reduced significantly.  My ISP is in South Africa and traditionally Germany is the best location for my ISP.  

Here is the Speed of my current new KVM upgraded VPS taken today:

[Image: 8813191142.png]

This is the speed of my IP prior to the upgrade with my OpenVZ VPS.  It was taken in August this year from the same ISP:

[Image: 7532833913.png]

And this is the speed of my Contabo VPS that is a more realistic speed I usually get from my ISP with an IP from Germany:

[Image: 8404194184.png]

So that is number 1 reason.

Second reason is that with the upgrade something has gone wrong with how CentOS behaves.  For example when I tried to load VIM so I could change my port number, it came up with a message along these lines:

Quote:Another app is currently holding the yum lock waiting for it to exit

Then when I went for exit, and back in, then yum started to work.

After I changed the port number, initially everything was working perfectly for the first time round as I expected it to do - I had also changed the SSH number and Firewall everything according to the rules.  I could get into my VPS with SSH perfectly for the first time round.  However, after doing lots of hard work in loading a panel, I no longer was able to get in with SSH.  That is in contrast with how easy it was to change my port number with the previous OpenVZ version of my Virmach VPS.  It was still working after months of having made the change.  

I'm not an expert by a long shot, but I get the feeling that an upgraded KVM virtualization can never be as good as a KVM VPS that was KVM from the start.  I think those technicians must have found a copy mechanism like they explained in their notes, along automatic lines, and it has created all kinds of conflicts.  Such as Ubuntu also having SSH issues.  Like you fix it the first round and the next round something gets overwritten and the SSH is broken.

This is probably an ideal VPS now for testing.   @"Hidden Refuge"f you would like to test it you're most welcome.

But unfortunately I don't have the time so have decided to let go of VPS 9 Phoenix for now. I will add it to the Giveaway during January. Unless some magic has happened to get it completely fixed.
Terminal
(12-01-2019, 06:03 PM)deanhills Wrote: I've decided to let go of my VPS 9.  I don't have the time to struggle through issues that I think came through the upgrade automatic process.  I don't think the outcome is perfect.

For VPS 9 Phoenix the IP was changed to a German IP.  However, the networking of it got configured for a Phoenix IP, and I think somewhere around this kind of Networking, the speed of my VPS with the new IP vs the old Phoenix IP got reduced significantly.  My ISP is in South Africa and traditionally Germany is the best location for my ISP.  

Here is the Speed of my current new KVM upgraded VPS taken today:

[Image: 8813191142.png]

This is the speed of my IP prior to the upgrade with my OpenVZ VPS.  It was taken in August this year from the same ISP:

[Image: 7532833913.png]

And this is the speed of my Contabo VPS that is a more realistic speed I usually get from my ISP with an IP from Germany:

[Image: 8404194184.png]

So that is number 1 reason.

Second reason is that with the upgrade something has gone wrong with how CentOS behaves.  For example when I tried to load VIM so I could change my port number, it came up with a message along these lines:

Then when I went for exit, and back in, then yum started to work.

After I changed the port number, initially everything was working perfectly for the first time round as I expected it to do - I had also changed the SSH number and Firewall everything according to the rules.  I could get into my VPS with SSH perfectly for the first time round.  However, after doing lots of hard work in loading a panel, I no longer was able to get in with SSH.  That is in contrast with how easy it was to change my port number with the previous OpenVZ version of my Virmach VPS.  It was still working after months of having made the change.  

I'm not an expert by a long shot, but I get the feeling that an upgraded KVM virtualization can never be as good as a KVM VPS that was KVM from the start.  I think those technicians must have found a copy mechanism like they explained in their notes, along automatic lines, and it has created all kinds of conflicts.  Such as Ubuntu also having SSH issues.  Like you fix it the first round and the next round something gets overwritten and the SSH is broken.

This is probably an ideal VPS now for testing.   @"Hidden Refuge"f you would like to test it you're most welcome.

But unfortunately I don't have the time so have decided to let go of VPS 9 Phoenix for now.  I will add it to the Giveaway during January.  Unless some magic has happened to get it completely fixed.
Unfortunately I don't have any suggestion to resolve your networking issue, but for System related issue I can only suggest you to reinstall from scratch your OS.
As I have already said on the private support, VirMach "conversion" is just:
  1. Take a SAMEOS-KVM template
  2. Copy and replace the files from your current OpenVZ container
There is not magic that allow you to convert a OVZ container to KVM other than raw copy&replace of files. This method is just useless and dangerous, your CentOS is confused because OpenVZ customization has been forcefully inserted on KVM environment. If you try to launch a "yum update" you will still see that CentOS is still using *-vz repositories. Moreover your system has been upgraded to 3.10 kernel but still OpenVZ 6 customization think that you are on 2.32 custom kernel.
After the OS reinstall my VPS 9 is working great without any issue.
(12-01-2019, 10:49 PM)LightDestory Wrote: Unfortunately I don't have any suggestion to resolve your networking issue, but for System related issue I can only suggest you to reinstall from scratch your OS.
As I have already said on the private support, VirMach "conversion" is just:
  1. Take a SAMEOS-KVM template
  2. Copy and replace the files from your current OpenVZ container
There is not magic that allow you to convert a OVZ container to KVM other than raw copy&replace of files. This method is just useless and dangerous, your CentOS is confused because OpenVZ customization has been forcefully inserted on KVM environment. If you try to launch a "yum update" you will still see that CentOS is still using *-vz repositories. Moreover your system has been upgraded to 3.10 kernel but still OpenVZ 6 customization think that you are on 2.32 custom kernel.
After the OS reinstall my VPS 9 is working great without any issue.
Thank you for the feedback @LightDestory

That is exactly my problem however. I must have reinstalled CentOS 7 approximately 5 times with the exact same results.

If I may ask. Did you change the Port Number of your VPS? And when you did, did you have any issues with accessing with SSH?
Terminal
When changing SSH port I always perform these actions:
  1. First allow traffic on the interested port and make sure to reload/restart the firewall service
  2. Edit sshd.conf replacing port 22 with the interested port and make sure to restart sshd service
  3. (It is possible that a reboot is required: only once happened to me)
Do you do these action too?
Currently we don't know the exact issue because the "lost SSH access" can be due to:
  • Closed port
  • sshd service not running
  • Unmatching host-keys betweeb device and server.
The last one can be fixed deleting your ".known-hosts" file placed inside the ".ssh" folder.

You said that your IP has been changed, did you try to flush your DNS records? Did you try SSH into VPS using the IP address directly?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
07-18-2021, 08:47 AM
Last Post: fChk
 Evolution Host  VPS 10 Review
05-31-2021, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Decent12
 Evolution Host  VPS 10 Review
05-31-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Decent12
 Host4Fun  VPS 1 Review
05-11-2021, 10:34 PM
Last Post: fChk
04-30-2021, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Sn1F3rt

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting