arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virmach  VPS 9 Review (Seattle)
Here’s an update on my overalls experience with VPS 9 Seattle ever since I won it almost 8 months ago:

Firstly, I’d like to start with a “mini” comparison between the KVM VPS 9 Seattle (the one I have), and the previous OVZ VPS 9 Seattle (the one the previous holder had). The comparison would be based on this review of the OVZ VPS 9 Seattle.:

To begin with, I can see that the CPU is different. I can tell by the different model number, and clock speeds. Mine has the higher clock speeds of the two!

Next up the RAM, the OVZ VPS 9 Seattle had slightly more RAM (in MBs), it had zero swap space. While mine does have slightly less RAM, but an equivalent vSwap!

Then we move onto the Disk I/O speeds, the ones for the OVZ one are insanely terrible! The improvement with the KVM VPS 9 Seattle disk I/O speeds is very noticeable!

That sums it up with the mini comparison.

Now for my personal feedback on VPS 9 Seattle KVM after almost 8 months of use:

I’ve had almost no issues with it as of right now. It seems to run ALMOST perfectly.

The one thing that has bothered me is that it seems to be quite slow for its insane specs. And upon asking other VPS 9 holders, it seems like mine is the only one with said slowness. For example, while all the other VPSs I’ve used tend to establish the SSH connection and login instantly, for some odd reason VPS 9 Seattle seems to struggle a bit. Same goes with running tasks such as updating updating dependencies, upgrading packages, running scripts, and so on. It just tends to be quite slow at these (not awfully slow, but the uncomfortable type of slow). I’m not entirely sure what has caused this, the network speeds are quite good (800-900Mbps), RAM speeds are also amazing. However, disk I/O speeds have been all over the place, sometimes they’re super fast, sometimes they’re quite slow for an SSD. I doubt that it has anything to do with the slowness however. The reason why I haven’t created a support thread on this is simply because VirMach already does so much for us, and I don’t want to bombard them with something that I can live with.

That sums up my comparison/feedback on VPS 9 Seattle
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
Great comparison review for Virmach VPS 9 in Seattle.

In fact, I have similar feeling as yours as I have another Virmach VPS 9 in Chicago.

For me the SSH connection speed and package upgrade speed etc, although maybe a bit slow sometimes, but are all acceptable.

Maybe later when I have more time I will do a more detailed comparison review for my Chicago VPS (the current KVM vs the ex-OpenVZ) too. Smile

(06-13-2020, 09:38 AM)tryp4vps Wrote: Great comparison review for Virmach VPS 9 in Seattle.  

In fact, I have similar feeling as yours as I have another Virmach VPS 9 in Chicago.  

For me the SSH connection speed and package upgrade speed etc, although maybe a bit slow sometimes, but are all  acceptable.  

Maybe later when I have more time I will do a more detailed comparison review for my Chicago VPS (the current KVM vs the ex-OpenVZ) too.  Smile

Interesting to see that I’m not the only one facing difficulties with it being slow in even the simplest of tasks. I appreciate the feedback!

Would you mind running disk I/O and speedtest benchmarks on your VPS and posting them here? Would love to see if there’s anything in common which could be the culprit of the abnormal “slowness”. If we can narrow it down, we might be able to get the specific “bottleneck” looked into! 

And as stated earlier, my Disk I/O results have been all over the place and severely inconsistent. Would love it if you can run multiple disk I/O tests to see if that’s also the case for your VPS.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
(06-13-2020, 10:30 AM)ikk157 Wrote: Interesting to see that I’m not the only one facing difficulties with it being slow in even the simplest of tasks....

Hmm... please don't get me wrong. I was not saying that I face difficulties as yours.

I was saying the SSH connection speed and package upgrade speed etc are all acceptable to me. They were just a bit slow sometimes, perhaps during some network peak hours I guess. And I do not have any problem regarding the disk I/O.

Anyway as I said I may do a more detailed comparison review later when I have more time. This will include the disk I/O and other benchmark tests that you may be interested in. Smile

(06-15-2020, 09:59 AM)tryp4vps Wrote: Hmm... please don't get me wrong. I was not saying that I face difficulties as yours.  

I was saying the SSH connection speed and package upgrade speed etc are all acceptable to me. They were just a bit slow sometimes, perhaps during some network peak hours I guess. And I do not have any problem regarding the disk I/O.  

Anyway as I said I may do a more detailed comparison review later when I have more time. This will include the disk I/O and other benchmark tests that you may be interested in.  Smile

Aha I see. Thanks for the clarification. Seems like I’m the only one with the issue being consistent. I’m guessing the node I’m in could potentially be more busy than the rest of the nodes.

I’m looking forward to your detailed report! It’s nice to have real-world values between the different nodes of VPS 9 to compare to! Something just the specs alone would never accomplish!
(06-15-2020, 11:51 AM)ikk157 Wrote: Aha I see. Thanks for the clarification. Seems like I’m the only one with the issue being consistent. I’m guessing the node I’m in could potentially be more busy than the rest of the nodes......

It does make sense to assume that it should be a node specific issue.

But I think it may not be consistent for a long period of time.

In fact, from my past experience in using VPS 9 in Chicago, I also faced some network issue around 1 year ago, probably after Virmach did a big sale, but it would then go back to normal.

So, unless there are some mis-configurations in your VPS, I guess your network issue will disappear sooner or later. Good luck. Smile

(07-02-2020, 10:51 AM)tryp4vps Wrote: It does make sense to assume that it should be a node specific issue.  

But I think it may not be consistent for a long period of time.  

In fact, from my past experience in using VPS 9 in Chicago, I also faced some network issue around 1 year ago, probably after Virmach did a big sale, but it would then go back to normal.  

So, unless there are some mis-configurations in your VPS, I guess your network issue will disappear sooner or later. Good luck.  Smile

To be fair, it has been all over the place. Sometimes it’s hella fast... but sometimes it just completely struggles.

I’m not exactly sure whether it’s a network issue though as I haven’t managed to narrow it down to network. Looks more or less like a disk I/O issue as the disk I/O speeds have been all over the place... sometimes I got 500MB/s... and sometimes 20MB/s. 

Anyways let’s hope it sorts itself out...
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
07-18-2021, 08:47 AM
Last Post: fChk
 Evolution Host  VPS 10 Review
05-31-2021, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Decent12
 Evolution Host  VPS 10 Review
05-31-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Decent12
 Host4Fun  VPS 1 Review
05-11-2021, 10:34 PM
Last Post: fChk
04-30-2021, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Sn1F3rt

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting