arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What’s the best FREE antivirus for low end laptops/pcs?
(12-13-2019, 01:45 PM)hamed Wrote: You can use this article and download the desired antivirus (using Chrome browser translator).
https://antivirus.comodo.com/
I'm using the same antivirus myself right now

Note:  Link to comodo antivirus changed as original link was in Arabic.  Deanhills

Thank you very much for your suggestion!

I just tried the antivirus you suggested. However, unfortunately my laptop was instantly slowed down by it. This is exactly what I was trying to avoid by making this thread. So I’ve gone ahead and uninstalled it.

I’m looking for something that’s extremely light and basic. The ones with all these “fancy” features only seem to make my laptop struggle even more than it already is.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
For FREE Anti Virus and for Low End and Old Laptops, you can use Norton!
It's a lightweight and fast anti-virus!
You can try it yourself!
Terminal
Solo Developer
(12-15-2019, 09:46 AM)chanalku91 Wrote: For FREE Anti Virus and for Low End and Old Laptops, you can use Norton!
It's a lightweight and fast anti-virus!
You can try it yourself!

I have tried Norton from a very long while back... unfortunately it was still too heavy for my laptop to be considered usable after installing it. It just doesn’t seem to be light enough!

I’m looking for something that’s extremely basic. The most popular antiviruses which include Norton aren’t al that basic. They’ve got some unnecessary “fancy” features which I’ve explained earlier.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
What’s the best FREE antivirus for low end laptops/pcs?
I recommend AVG/Kaspersky
But the better question is what is the best antivirus these days, some days ago i was using AVG and suddenly it started to give me virus alert for all of my files.
All files name were changed to gFilename.jpg even if the file is .exe for example i have Winrar.exe it became gWinrar.jpg and takes 0 kb from my storage, idk from where i got this virus and i deleted AVG and installed Bit defender, yes it was lagging alot but i left it for some hours to scan and delete all the virus and im still using Bit defender till now, so it doesn't matter if your PC is low end. Keep your security #1
the best is to practice to avoid virueses . start by looking the extensions of the file and make sure you know the real size of the file . for antivirus windows already come with it and it is reccomended just to use the default . for lightweight it isnt lightweight on lower end laptop but any antivirus isnt lightweight . for best performance just ditch antivirus or turn it off when you gaming . some antivirus have game mode
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
(12-16-2019, 01:40 PM)humanpuff69 Wrote: the best is to practice to avoid virueses . start by looking the extensions of the file and make sure you know the real size of the file . for antivirus windows already come with it and it is reccomended just to use the default . for lightweight it isnt lightweight on lower end laptop but any antivirus isnt lightweight . for best performance just ditch antivirus or turn it off when you gaming . some antivirus have game mode

Go with his suggestions and for an extra layer of security you can go with malwarebytes my personal favorite which doesn't hog resources at all, but let me tell you its free version doesn't come with real time protection you have to rely on manual scans(which i think are fine on their own course).
[Image: a3ad5cfbf5.png]
[Image: trk1]
(12-16-2019, 07:04 AM)youssefbasha Wrote: What’s the best FREE antivirus for low end laptops/pcs?
I recommend AVG/Kaspersky
But the better question is what is the best antivirus these days, some days ago i was using AVG and suddenly it started to give me virus alert for all of my files.
All files name were changed to gFilename.jpg even if the file is .exe for example i have Winrar.exe it became gWinrar.jpg and takes 0 kb from my storage, idk from where i got this virus and i deleted AVG and installed Bit defender, yes it was lagging alot but i left it for some hours to scan and delete all the virus and im still using Bit defender till now, so it doesn't matter if your PC is low end. Keep your security #1

I have used Kaspersky and it’s EXTREMELY heavy. It’s loaded with a bunch of unnecessary features which makes my laptop struggle to run it. And after hearing your experience with AVG, i think that definitely a software to avoid. I will give Bit defender a try.

(12-16-2019, 01:40 PM)humanpuff69 Wrote: the best is to practice to avoid virueses . start by looking the extensions of the file and make sure you know the real size of the file . for antivirus windows already come with it and it is reccomended just to use the default . for lightweight it isnt lightweight on lower end laptop but any antivirus isnt lightweight . for best performance just ditch antivirus or turn it off when you gaming . some antivirus have game mode

Honestly this whole “be careful” approach isn’t very effective in 2019... otherwise you won’t be installing anything on your pc, which defeats the purpose. Not to mention that pcs can easily get infected with virus just sitting idle without any action from the user.

And I don’t use my laptop for gaming nor am I planning to do so. If it can’t run an antivirus software, there’s no way in hell can it run any decent games honestly.

(12-16-2019, 02:22 PM)TrK Wrote: Go with his suggestions and for an extra layer of security you can go with malwarebytes my personal favorite which doesn't hog resources at all, but let me tell you its free version doesn't come with real time protection you have to rely on manual scans(which i think are fine on their own course).

Thank you for the suggestion, along with trying bit defender as suggested on a previous response, I will also give malwarebytes a try. I honestly don’t mind not having real time protection. It could even be an advantage as the antivirus won’t keep on constantly hogging resources with its real time protection.
(12-18-2019, 07:28 AM)ikk157 Wrote: I have used Kaspersky and it’s EXTREMELY heavy. It’s loaded with a bunch of unnecessary features which makes my laptop struggle to run it. And after hearing your experience with AVG, i think that definitely a software to avoid. I will give Bit defender a try.

Honestly this whole “be careful” approach isn’t very effective in 2019... otherwise you won’t be installing anything on your pc, which defeats the purpose. Not to mention that pcs can easily get infected with virus just sitting idle without any action from the user.

And I don’t use my laptop for gaming nor am I planning to do so. If it can’t run an antivirus software, there’s no way in hell can it run any decent games honestly.

Thank you for the suggestion, along with trying bit defender as suggested on a previous response, I will also give malwarebytes a try. I honestly don’t mind not having real time protection. It could even be an advantage as the antivirus won’t keep on constantly hogging resources with its real time protection.

what i mean is to know which is look like virueses and not . antivirus is not useless and you still need it for second protection in case that you fail to determine the file before launching it . but still make sure to scan it first before executing it to make sure it is 100% safe
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
(12-18-2019, 07:28 AM)ikk157 Wrote: I have used Kaspersky and it’s EXTREMELY heavy. It’s loaded with a bunch of unnecessary features which makes my laptop struggle to run it. And after hearing your experience with AVG, i think that definitely a software to avoid. I will give Bit defender a try.

Exactly my experience.  Kaspersky hogged so many resources it was so bad that I couldn't use my laptop - it would completely freeze up.

I then ended up with using Microsoft Security Essentials (for Windows 7) and although probably not the best anti-virus out there, for me it's worked fine for a few years now.  In the end I also dumped Kaspersky for my desktop computer and am also using Microsoft Security Essentials for my desktop as well.  I also use the free version of Malwarebytes, which is not ideal as it is not real time, but when I remember I use the scanner.  Must say the full real time premium version of Malwarebytes is super expensive.  On top of all of the other expenses one has to pay for one's Internet hobby, it's just a trifle too much for me to justify having.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(12-18-2019, 02:37 PM)deanhills Wrote: Exactly my experience.  Kaspersky hogged so many resources it was so bad that I couldn't use my laptop - it would completely freeze up.

I then ended up with using Microsoft Security Essentials (for Windows 7) and although probably not the best anti-virus out there, for me it's worked fine for a few years now.  In the end I also dumped Kaspersky for my desktop computer and am also using Microsoft Security Essentials for my desktop as well.  I also use the free version of Malwarebytes, which is not ideal as it is not real time, but when I remember I use the scanner.  Must say the full real time premium version of Malwarebytes is super expensive.  On top of all of the other expenses one has to pay for one's Internet hobby, it's just a trifle too much for me to justify having.

Isn’t the Microsoft Security Essentials just the old version of Windows defender? I forgot to mention this, but I’m on windows 8.1. So Windows defender comes pre-installed.

As for malwarebytes, as I’ve previously mentioned, i think not having real time protection is an advantage in my case. This lets me run it whenever i want, instead of having it constantly using up the very few resources my laptop has with its real time feature. Have you found the scans to be effective?

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting