arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will a VPS with 1GiB of RAM enough for hosting a forum?
Hi all,
I currently have a VPS with 40GB of disk space but only 1GiB of RAM. I'm planning to host a gaming forum on it using XenForo. If I host a forum on it, will 1GiB of RAM enough? If yes, how many simultaneous users can be on the forum?
A 1GiB RAM VPS is more than enough for hosting a forum with an appreciable number of members. I've hosted a MyBB forum even on a 256 MiB VPS (yeah they exist Big Grin), and it worked perfectly.

Speaking about the number of simultaneous users, in my opinion it can be as many. The VPS specs is good enough to be able to get everyone a flawless experience on the forum. Smile
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
it is more than enough !
I once hosted a forum on OVZ VPS with 512MB RAM with the Litespeed Enterprise web server !
And it did not experience problems!
Terminal
Solo Developer
Yes as @chanalku91 stated use litespeed .....
Its a nice alternative to apache with all of its feature + fast loading......
Try Installing Cyberpanel which includes LiteSpeed.....
Alternatively you can try installing litespeed only but I recommend that only for pros in this field.....

Installing cyberpanel will give you many features just under your fingertips .....
Terminal
Thankyou Post4VPS, @Pacific Spirit (Hostlease) for a Free VPS!
+
Thankyou to @Neoon for a Free NanoKVM VPS
1GiB of RAM should be good enough to host a normal gaming forum, if you configurate it properly.

But if you do have a very big forum and prefer better stability for simultaneous users, I suppose SMF should be a better choice than MyBB.

As you have 1 GB RAM you can use apache as well, apache is better famous for it's advanced functions. But the demerit is it consumes resources. But 1 GB may be enough for a starter. You can also try nginx as it is a constant competitor to apache. I have no experience with Litespeed. But you should consider searching for apache vs litespeed articles on google.

Thank you  Sweet

Yes, You can host your forum on 1GB of RAM but make sure that also the internet connection is good too. I had a issue with a provider had to switch to OVH for my forum. I have hosted a forum with over 1023 members and 200 concurrent connections at the same time it worked decently!
Thanks to ReadyDedis and Post4VPS for the amazing VPS 7!

Thanks for all your suggestions! I've started migrating my forum to my VPS and I installed CyberPanel with LiteSpeed Enterprise Web Server and installed XenForo and it worked very well!
lockThread Closed 

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting