arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Change URL of a myBB Forum
I need to change URL of a forum from www. Website to www. website/forum/.  I think I should do it by changing  'bburl'  file /inc/settings.php. But I don't remember if there anything else. Maybe something in Admin control panel too?

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

Also important to check in settings.php for cookies so the cookies setting can be changed to match the URL.  And of course needless to say - make a very good backup of both Forum and database first before you begin the changes. And then close the Forum in Board Online/Offline. Wink

Here are some guidelines for cookies settings by one of the mybb forum staff - according to his experience this is where most of the problems occur when site settings have been changed - when the site settings are changed it's most important to change the cookie settings too.  Note specially that there is a different domain path setting for /forum than for domain only:
https://community.mybb.com/thread-42123.html

You also need to make the changes in Admin Panel.  Admin Panel/Configuration/Site Details. As with the settings you have to make changes for both the URL as well as the cookie domain and cookie path in the Admin Panel/Configuration/Site Details as per the above recommendations for cookie settings for domain/forum.

I'd have been tempted to make the changes in the Admin Panel Configuration Site Details first and see how it goes.  Maybe it automatically updates the settings.php file.  Or maybe one has to do both the Site Details Configuration change as well as the inc/settings.php.  Maybe @Mashiro or @Dynamo or @TrK can advise in this instance.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
A domain change on a forum using MyBB... Oh dear. That was a long time ago. Like over 5 years ago and it was the only one I ever did with the speciality of changing the domain of the forum after moving it.

Even if I try to remember I can't really come up with much more information than @deanhills has already shared. The cookie setting is important. If it is in a bad configuration state you will not be able to login into the forum or the administration panel. It will kick you out instantly after login due to issues with the cookies. That is a issue I can remember that I experienced, too.

I'm not sure if I made any other changes in any configuration files or even the database. Sorry.

I did a few Wordpress migrations with domain name changes and there it was a little more work. You had to change things in the settings and also in the database. That was so... at least when I did the migrations. Also quite a long time ago.

I might not be really helpful here.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
It's more of a URL change than the domain. I want to move the forum from the main domain to a folder like domain.com/forum. Yet it's not something I want to mess and I haven't had time to focus on it yet. But I did more research on it, especially on myBB official forum. Found few helpful pointers but even there I didn't find many topics about this.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

Well, I had successfully done this in old days as mentioned by Deanhills, ensure you copy/move the files too in to the new directory. If you need you may just take a back up of things before doing things.
I have a doubt why you are moving the forum into a subdomain? There is a chance your SEO will drop if you are focusing more on forum traffic. It will reduce your forum SEO because it will enlarge your url length. Also may break current links if not redirected.

Thank you  Sweet

(05-26-2021, 03:52 AM)Littlemaster Wrote: I have a doubt why you are moving the forum into a subdomain? There is a chance your SEO will drop if you are focusing more on forum traffic. It will reduce your forum SEO because it will enlarge your url length. Also may break current links if not redirected.

Well, that's not a subdomain rather a subdirectory. I do not think it will have much effect on his website's SEO, I see websites in subdirectories coming up fine on Google search. 

It's technically equivalent to moving a blog from the root URL, ie, example.com to example.com/blog.

As for the required steps others have contributed much in this thread and I do not think I have anything extra to contribute here. Good luck @xdude.
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
(04-24-2021, 07:34 PM)Mashiro Wrote: A domain change on a forum using MyBB... Oh dear. That was a long time ago. Like over 5 years ago and it was the only one I ever did with the speciality of changing the domain of the forum after moving it.

Even if I try to remember I can't really come up with much more information than @deanhills has already shared. The cookie setting is important. If it is in a bad configuration state you will not be able to login into the forum or the administration panel. It will kick you out instantly after login due to issues with the cookies. That is a issue I can remember that I experienced, too.

I'm not sure if I made any other changes in any configuration files or even the database. Sorry.

I did a few Wordpress migrations with domain name changes and there it was a little more work. You had to change things in the settings and also in the database. That was so... at least when I did the migrations. Also quite a long time ago.

I might not be really helpful here.

Yeah I was going to mention the Database, I am not super sure of the structure for MyBB, but I know with vBulletin and I believe XenForo you have to make changes in the database as well or you will get stuck in the weird 503 infinity loop error and/or assets such as themes, images etc will not link correctly.
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
01-02-2021, 10:12 AM
Last Post: tryp4vps

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting