arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello all, I am about to enter the VPS giveaway for the first time October 1, and I was wondering if macOS or macOS Server was a supported operating system with the VPS Providers? I have ran macOS in a KVM environment before, but while reading the TOS for some of the hosts I did not see any thing regarding running a Headless Virtual Machine. What are some of your experiences with the services and do you think something like this for development would be an adequate use of resources? Thanks! - Tyler
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.
Quote:I was wondering if macOS was a supported operating system with the VPS Providers?

Most likely not. On request? Maybe a tiny chance but still most likely not.

Quote:I was wondering if MacOS Server was a supported operating system with the VPS Providers?

Absolutely impossible to highly unlikely.

Quote:I have ran macOS in a KVM environment before, but while reading the TOS for some of the hosts I did not see any thing regarding running a Headless Virtual Machine.

While that might be true you still should be very careful with running nested virtualization. I guess it be better to let the staff here ask on your behalf via support ticket (if possible here) if that is allowed.

Well, lowend market is always very iffy with almost everything non standard. If you were to buy a VPS with a provider like OVH, Hetzner or similar they wouldn't bother... unless you do something really massively dangerous (hacking, DDoS attacks, CP, everything absolutely illegal).
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
@tbelldesignco

Further to Hidden's comments which I'm completely in agreement with.

I Googled it.  And looks as though you are only allowed to load Apple OS on Apple hardware.  So I doubt any sponsor will allow you to load Apple OS on a VPS.  I guess a good clue would be that we have never in my experience with Forums received an inquiry like this before. Probably strange in a way. But looks as though the first permission that needs to be obtained is a license with Apple that permits the user to use the Apple OS on the VPS. Once that license is in hand, you can then ask the VPS sponsor whether you may load Apple OS and submit the license to them as justification for use.

I found this good post in Quora - it isn't about VPS but the moral of the argument about Apple only allowing OS to be used on Apple products probably would apply to a VPS as well:

James McInnes - Quora Wrote:[...]

Apple generally only grants a license to install the software on their own hardware per the retail end-user license agreement. If you do not agree to the terms of the EULA, you would need to negotiate a license with Apple under different terms.

If you install the software without a license from the copyright holder, you would be infringing on their copyright. Copyright infringement, legally, is not a crime, but rather a tort. A tort is an infringement of a right that leads to a legal liability. It's generally up to the copyright holder to file an infringement claim against the infringer. In the United States, there's a statutory $150,000 in damages for willful infringement over the actual damages assessed by the court (in this scenario, probably the retail price of OS X, about $50).

[...]
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-illegal-to-i...Hackintosh
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Yeah I thought it was a slim shot, but I can do almost everything I wish with Linux, so I am not too worried! Thank you all for the help and insight!
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.
Don't think macOS on a vps is possible tbh...macOS is made for Macs so it would need a screen to be usable, but I don't think VPS providers would plug in an external display to the server to set your vps up.

Also, selling VPSs with macOS installed would probably lead to legal issues unless Apple allowed the VPS provider to use their operating system for commercial purposes.
macOS is only available on Apple specific and approved hardware. Your only chance is to find a provider that sells iMac Pro resources!

What are you looking for is called "hackintosh" and it is 'illegal' to use into commercial stuff.
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
Never hear macOS can install on VPS. Asking main poster. Can you or did you install macOS over a VPS before ? Possible to do it ?
What you do with macOS online ? Why want this over windows or Linux ?

I sometime install macOS on my own machine . Only test reason. Not legal. Never use and i dont use. Not like more too.

I have no use for macOS. What is you use that ?

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting