arrow_upward

Poll: Which OS do you like and/or use?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Windows 7
31.94%
Windows XP
1.39%
Windows 8/8.1
4.17%
Windows 10
41.67%
Any Linux Distro (Please mention)
15.28%
Other (Please mention)
5.56%
Total
72 vote(s)
100%

* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which OS do you use and which OS do you like?
I use Lubuntu, which is a Linux-based OS.

Why? I use it because it's an official spin from the Ubuntu family. That means there are ample resources and everything I need/want has a .deb package, and most if them are in official repositories. This keeps me running smooth and always up to date.

I currently stick with 18.04 LTS, because it's the last LTS with the LXDE desktop environment. What I really like about LXDE is the simplicity and stability. Unfortunately, they'll be changing to LXQt. I'm not a big fan of change for change sake, but they seem to think this is for the best.

One of the best things about LXDE is that it is very light. Many people use that as a reason to use it on older hardware, but I like it because it's screaming fast on modern hardware. It does what it says on the tin. It's a desktop environment. It doesn't have bells and whistles. It just facilitates the desktop and stays out of my way. I don't have to play with it. I don't have to customize it. I don't have to install silly weather apps that will sit on my desktop. It just gets out of the way so that I can get my tasks completed. You know, it does what a desktop should do and nothing more. I like that.

I may end up spinning my own custom Linux-based OS, just to keep using LXDE. Fortunately, I don't have to cross that bridge until 2023, maybe 2028 as Shuttleworth announced that the Ubuntu 18.04 will get 10 years of support. It's not clear if that extended support also extends to the official Ubuntu spins. I hope so!
Happily sponsored by Shadow Hosting & Post4VPS!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which OS do you use and which OS do you like? - by KGIII - 11-27-2018, 04:57 AM

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting