arrow_upward

Poll: Should a rule regarding quotes be introduced to combat problems with post quality and forum readability?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, such a rule should be introduced.
100.00%
No, such a rule is not necessary.
0%
Total
6 vote(s)
100%

* You voted for this item.

[ADDED] Large quotes are a problem!
Dear Post4VPS Staff

I would like to propose a new rule to improve the post quality of this post and the readability of the forum overall.

What is the background of this rule proposal? In the last days I've made some rather large posts or threads that contained information to either solve a issue a member has had or it was a tutorial thread for a server application requested by a user. And whenever someone replied they quoted the whole thing immediately under the post or thread that I made just to reply to me.

Two examples:
- https://post4vps.com/thread-2256-post-21...l#pid21212 (quote deleted by staff today @Vuluts already)
- https://post4vps.com/thread-2273-post-21...l#pid21218 (quote deleted by staff today @Vuluts already)

This is a huge problem because it clutters the forum with big quotes all over the place. You have to scroll a lot to get somewhere. And on the mobile phone it is a hell because you really have to scroll a lot lot lot more than on a computer. It also makes reading posts/threads and following the actual context really hard.

I can't stress this enough. This forum has the mention plugin installed for a reason. It can be perfectly used to reply to a post by a certain user without quoting the whole huge thing. And if people really need to quota they could quota the relevant thing they talk about instead of everything. The worst are people who quota such posts and reply with a few words or a single sentence.

So my proposal is to add a rule against huge and totally unnecessary quotes. In addition I would like to suggest that you turn off nested quotes. I have seen people who quote a huge message and added a single sentence reply. Then someone different came around and quoted their reply with the huge quote to the other reply and added something more. And then another person came and quoted the whole thing with the two other quotes. At the end you have a huge quote that is a single reply to something one user said and is taking away 90% of the whole thread page.

Nested quotes can be disabled in the MyBB Admin Control Panel. Open the MyBB Admin CP and login. Go to "Configuration" where the board settings are. Open the "Posting" settings. Set the entry "Maximum Nested Quote Tags" to the value of 1.

The rule could sound something like this: "Do not quote big threads or replies. Reduce quotes to cases where really necessary." or "Don't create unnecessary and big quotes. Quote only the relevant content to that you want to reply".

What do you think of this proposal? What does the community think?
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]

Messages In This Thread
Large quotes are a problem! - by Mashiro - 08-10-2018, 10:11 AM
RE: Large quotes are a problem! - by tiwil - 08-10-2018, 10:48 AM
RE: Large quotes are a problem! - by Mashiro - 08-10-2018, 10:52 AM
RE: Large quotes are a problem! - by Vuluts - 08-10-2018, 11:09 AM
RE: Large quotes are a problem! - by deanhills - 08-10-2018, 04:04 PM
RE: Large quotes are a problem! - by tryp4vps - 08-10-2018, 06:17 PM
RE: Large quotes are a problem! - by Mashiro - 08-10-2018, 08:55 PM
RE: Large quotes are a problem! - by tryp4vps - 08-11-2018, 05:56 PM
RE: Large quotes are a problem! - by deanhills - 08-11-2018, 03:57 PM
RE: Large quotes are a problem! - by deanhills - 08-15-2018, 11:03 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting