arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WiFi Alternatives? WiFi masking?
This topic has been inspired by @rudra's discussion in the Shoutbox about evil doers being able with WiFi to see "behind doors".  Here's a copy of the MIT article he posted:
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/61237...e-thought/

I'd like to know what the safest alternatives are to WiFi.  I know that routers by their design create signals so they can be used and shared within a comfortable radius any where in the house.  An alternative is a line direct to one's computer.  Are there members here who are working with WiFi alternatives, and what are they?  Are there members who are still using modems?

Last year when I moved into my present accommodation I got an ADSL line, but they set me up with a router.  I could probably have insisted I'd want a line to my computer only, but I'd battled so hard just to get Internet, I didn't want to interfere.  Just been thinking though, maybe I could bypass the router, by plugging the line to the router direct into my computer instead?  Like that would make me feel much more secure.  Or maybe not - maybe I need a modem .... ?

Another thought for consideration and advice.  All laptops networking include a list of all of the wireless systems in the area. Like they come up so one can choose among any of them. Is there a way one could mask one's WiFi connection so other laptops won't be able to see one's WiFi connection?  Can one mask the connection so only you can see it?
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  

Messages In This Thread
WiFi Alternatives? WiFi masking? - by deanhills - 12-13-2018, 05:44 AM
RE: WiFi Alternatives? WiFi masking? - by Manal - 12-13-2018, 07:06 AM
RE: WiFi Alternatives? WiFi masking? - by Mashiro - 12-13-2018, 08:44 AM
RE: WiFi Alternatives? WiFi masking? - by rudra - 12-13-2018, 11:24 AM
RE: WiFi Alternatives? WiFi masking? - by rudra - 12-14-2018, 03:34 AM
RE: WiFi Alternatives? WiFi masking? - by sagher - 12-14-2018, 04:46 AM
RE: WiFi Alternatives? WiFi masking? - by rudra - 12-14-2018, 06:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting