arrow_upward

Poll: Do you think VPS location is important?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
66.67%
No
33.33%
Total
6 vote(s)
100%

* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why VPS geographical location is so important?
Question 
Reading the post about the Cancellation of VPSs 15 & 16, I noticed that one of major aspect of their unpopularity its their geographical location, the US.
As my title says, I am new to the VPS Wolrd, I don't know why something such as geographical location should be important.
Can you help me understand it?

For what I know, the geographical location affects the latency. As example, I am from Italy, to be specific from Sicily (south of Italy), and these are the results of my pinging test:
  • Milan => min:28ms max:40ms avg:30.4ms (jitter 1.3ms)
  • Frankfurt => min:42ms max:68ms avg:44.8ms (jitter 2.2ms)
  • Paris => min:54ms max:93ms avg:56ms (jitter 3.6ms)
  • Moscow=> min:95ms max:157ms avg:97ms (jitter 9.2ms)
  • New York => min:124ms max:147ms avg:126.4ms (jitter 2ms)
  • Toronto => min:136ms max:166ms avg:138ms (jitter 2.7ms)
  • Miami => min:157ms max:171ms avg:159.2ms (jitter 1.3ms)
  • Tokyo => min:303ms max:306ms avg:304ms (jitter 0.6ms)
  • Hong Kong=> min:287ms max:298ms avg:289ms (jitter 1.2ms)
  • Sevilla => min:64ms max:147ms avg:79.9ms (jitter 5.8ms)
  • Mumbai => min:177ms max:182ms avg:178ms (jitter 0.9ms)

These tests are just a list of my own latency while communicating with these locations.
So if you want to run a game server, latency is one of the most important thing you have to think about. I am not very expert about game hosting, but... does a %number_between_50_to_100%ms make a difference? 
Except for unrealistic locations such as Tokyo and Hong Kong, all the latencies are below 200ms. For no-ping based games I think, correct me if I am wrong, it is a acceptable delay.
On a lot of games, if they show the ping between you and the game server, it is usually displayed with 3 colors:
  • Green => Ping below 100ms
  • Yellow => Ping below 200-250ms
  • Red => Ping above 200-250ms
I played a lot of games with server hosted in America (MMORPG, Minecraft, MOBA) and my experience wasn't so bad.
What do you think about it?

For me, someone scared by new European laws, a VPS located on Europe can be a solution of the "user's data location" issue. But recently I read that it doesn't matter where the data is stored, it can be in US, Europe, China or anywhere but if the data belongs to a customer residing in EU, then you HAVE TO BE COMPLAINT TO GDPR anyway.
There are no escapes, unfortunately.

For general purpose usage, such as website hosting, data hosting, webapp container, I don't see any problem with a latency below 200ms. Does it matter? I interact with website outside Europe that doesn't own a CDN and I have never experienced a long await.
Well, If I try to load a japanese website... I can leave to take a coffee and still need to wait.

So what do you thing about? Do you prefer VPS located in Europe or you don't mind it?
Let's discuss about it, vote the poll and be polite!
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14

Messages In This Thread
Why VPS geographical location is so important? - by LightDestory - 08-19-2019, 04:59 PM

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting