arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Remotely Increase Your VPS Disk Space
@sohamb03
Thanks for the kind words :-)

(01-24-2020, 04:20 PM)rudra Wrote: thanks for taking time to share all the steps.
The pleasure is mine :-)

(01-24-2020, 04:20 PM)rudra Wrote: why did you choose for xfs for root in this case ? what are the benefits you were aiming at and if you are getting those. i mean i want to know the impact of xfs in your case instead of ext4.
Actually I didn't choose the filesystem type[1] and, most probably, neither @Neoon when setting up the VPS. It's just the default filesystem used by CentOS since v7. In Fedora, the server version has XFS filesystem by default since v22.

It basically means that RedHat opted for XFS in their server editions (RHEL, CentOS and Fedora) since 2015. The why? and the difference between XFS and Ext4 can be found in a lot more details in this 'How to Choose Your Red Hat Enterprise Linux File System' knowledgebase article. I'm sure it will answer your questions :-)

When I reinstalled my Fedora Server 25 back in 2016, it came as a shock when I realized that the filesystem used was XFS (I did left the Anaconda installer do the layout automatically.) But I really never regret it. Prior to that re-installation I've always just upgraded my Fedora all the way back to Fedora 12, so I've never been aware of the transition to XFS.

(01-24-2020, 04:20 PM)rudra Wrote: personally, i never use lvm myself. almost never is better i think.
Most (if not all) modern distributions use LVM (Logical Volume Management) by default. Fedora was the first distribution to introduce it, It did take time to get the hang of its logic but, like everything else, we get use to it and we acknowledge its strength, that is the fact that LVM allows for very flexible disk space management; this thread is a testimony for that.

------------------
[1]- If I did have to select the filesystem type, I would have opted for XFS too.
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to Remotely Increase Your VPS Disk Space - by fChk - 01-24-2020, 06:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting