arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IMPORTANT - enhance security of your Ubuntu 14.04 lts install if still using it
(08-21-2020, 01:19 PM)rudra Wrote: @ikk157

thanks for the reply. I was thinking that the problem is probably with the template and your experience support that idea too.

But the thing is how do you recover without help from the staff if upgrade or something mess the system up and you lose ssh entrance ? or say you want to try centOS or ....

or change your partition scheme .., i use a separate partition with nodev, nosuid to store files and also use as document root for servers etc,

may be you don't , but i certainly want to do all that and have an option and option to recover...

Also the issues are not only faced by a single guy once.... so that indicates that there might be a need to be wary.

I simply don’t need to recover from anything since the upgrade works with zero issues. For a matter of fact, the upgrade tool actually starts a new ssh instance on a different port so you have a backup. 

For a matter of fact, I’ve never messed up any installations on my VPS. Literally NEVER. The times it broke was due to a faulty template from VirMach’s end which the admins back then weren’t aware of. So they essentially loaded a broken template onto my VPS without knowing, which never booted up.

However, as I’ve stated earlier, I never really broke anything. 

I already mentioned that I’ve tested the upgrade on so many other systems before doing it on my VPS 9, so i knew there was no risk. And clearly i was right.

Bare in mind that I’m not exploring or experimenting around with anything, everything I do on my VPS 9 I’ve already done many many many times on other systems and I’m fully experienced in it. 

However, that doesn’t seem to be the case with many VPS 9 holders here... many are doing stuff on it with zero experience, which is possibly why they end up messing their VPSs up. Take the ones running an upgrade for the first time in their lives as an example. 

And as stated on my previous post, I use the default partition scheme the Ubuntu installation wizard goes by, I never found the need to change anything. Not to mention that the admins can’t change the partition scheme from their panel (there simply isn’t an option on it). So asking an admin for that would only be a waste of their time.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
04-07-2019, 06:32 AM
Last Post: rudra

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting