arrow_upward

Poll: Which part of VPS matter the most for you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
CPU vCore count
25.00%
RAM amount
33.33%
Storage amount and technology
8.33%
Network speed
33.33%
Total
12 vote(s)
100%

* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which specification of VPS matter the most for you?
(02-24-2021, 08:54 PM)LightDestory Wrote: So, let's start, this specific thread is about the hardware specification:
  • CPU vCore, tell us which is the optimal vcore count for you followed by a explanation (it can be technical or just an approximaiton)
  • RAM, tell us which is the optimal RAM amount for you, general use speaking followed by a explanation (Don't think about a HIGH-END task like huge game servers! For that case-usage the answer is simple: A LOT!)
  • Storage, tell us which is the optimal amount of storage and WHICH technology it should be for a general use followed by a explanation
  • Network Speed, tell us how much the DL link and UP link should be for a general use followed by a explanation
Specification such as geo-location and bandwith/month are not related because it is a business-part not related to the bare hardware!

Okay!.. In the abstract, the perfect VPS is a fully functional VPS meeting the targeted load without hitting any bottleneck!..

There you have it!.. So what that means?... It means that there is no such thing as the ideal (/or perfect) VPS without first stating what it should be doing and how much load it must sustain. In other words, you need to know :
1-> what's your use-case (which will determine the min. hardware specs on which you can get things running),
2-> how large is your audience (which will determine the load, hence the max. hardware needed to get stuff done.)

In my own case with my P4V-sponsored VPS, I'm using it for a GIS project that involves a series of sub-projects all concurring at meeting my Web-mapping needs, instead of using GMaps or Bing or etc... That means I have my own custom-made mapping engine generating my webMap and my own locally-running mapping services (a geocoding service, a reverse-geocoding service, a GeoIP service, a routing service, an elevetion service etc..)

The most critical piece in all that for me to claim that I do have a stand-alone mapping service is when I can generate -then cache- my own tiles on-the-fly, which I can do (thanks to the OSM project) but I won't ever have that opportunity given the resources needed for that (in terms of CPU, RAM and storage.)

Thus instead of targeting the entire Globe, I've instead limited the project to my regions of interests, the rest is served via the publicly available web tiles: OSM, ArcGIS, Bing etc...

When you're doing GIS projects, you deal with monster PostgreSQL databases managed via PostGIS and huge GeoTIFF files, hence the ultra-high storage capacity needs and high I/O rates requirements.

CPU and RAM needs are through the roof thus you need as much of them as you can get. Ditto for the network part.
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting