arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting up a Ubuntu-CentOS Server from scratch: Remote Desktop Access & x2go
Great tutorial @LightDestory! A reputation well deserved.

A lot of quotes you're taking from me there Wink. Better stay safe than sorry though. I think in general everyone should issue such warnings in their tutorials. Sometimes out of the blue everything can go really wrong even during the most trivial operations. Or at least issue such warnings when you know that something could go wrong. In situations where maybe you even experienced it yourself when writing the guide, like I did when I made the VNC guide you linked to. Well, or rather said when I have been actually solving a issue for a user that wanted to use VNC on their CentOS 7 VPS.

Regarding installing the WM and DE components. I got to know of FreeNX/x2Go through a good old friend from FreeVPS.us who initially wrote a guide for this kind of remote desktop. He basically however only installed the "core" components of the WM and DE. I believe that this might slim down the needed resources disk space wise and even RAM usage wise. However don't quote me on that! I didn't really do benchmarking. I remember using this setup myself a few times and RAM usage has been lower (than what you mentioned in the shoutbox) but I used Debian 8 which by default has a quite low memory usage (the blank OS without stuff installed).

That is the guide I'm talking about: https://freevps.us/thread-11689.html (notice how he only installed xfce-core instead of the whole XFCE environment).

And about the network manager issue. Thanks for bringing that up actually! It is very important for OpenVZ VPSs. Especially for users here that have a VPS without a control panel. When their network breaks for this reason they have no means to access the VPS at all anymore and need help from staff at the end actually. So everyone should keep that in mind and possibly do what I suggested here before they reboot their server!.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ubuntu Server with XFCE & x2go - by Mashiro - 08-31-2019, 08:40 AM
RE: Ubuntu Server with XFCE & x2go - by rudra - 09-01-2019, 02:53 PM

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting