arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting up a Ubuntu-CentOS Server from scratch: Remote Desktop Access & x2go
Quote:Regarding installing the WM and DE components. I got to know of FreeNX/x2Go through a good old friend from FreeVPS.us who initially wrote a guide for this kind of remote desktop. He basically however only installed the "core" components of the WM and DE. I believe that this might slim down the needed resources disk space wise and even RAM usage wise. However don't quote me on that! I didn't really do benchmarking. I remember using this setup myself a few times and RAM usage has been lower (than what you mentioned in the shoutbox) but I used Debian 8 which by default has a quite low memory usage (the blank OS without stuff installed).
@"Hidden Refuge"
Thanks for your report. I tried to search about a "core" package list but I didn't find anything. I tried the following package name:
  • xfce
  • xfce-core
  • xfce4-minimal
  • xfce4-core
But let me explain a thing: by using the command
Quote:apt-get install xfce4

We are installing only the XFCE desktop environment, we are not installing others application, activing sessions.
Meanwhile by using the command
  • apt-get install xubuntu-desktop , you will install a full working xfce environment with standards application such as firefox, editors, ect...
  • apt-get install xubuntu-minimal , you will install a xfce environment with only system applications.
But if you use the previous 2 command you will install and activate windows manager and your server will start up with a XFCE session.
Regarding the Network Manager I am going to edit the warning to be more clear.
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ubuntu Server with XFCE & x2go - by Mashiro - 08-31-2019, 08:40 AM
RE: Ubuntu Server with XFCE & x2go - by LightDestory - 08-31-2019, 07:56 PM
RE: Ubuntu Server with XFCE & x2go - by rudra - 09-01-2019, 02:53 PM

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting