arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VestaCP no longer supported - forks?
(07-10-2020, 07:42 PM)deanhills Wrote: This discussion follows on from @xdude's thread about VestaCP whether it's a good Web Panel to use.

I've just learned tonight from @Sohamb03 that VestaCP is no longer actively supported by the developers.  I then went to the VestaCP Discussion Forum to check this out and looks like the last time there have been any updates to VestaCP has been as far back as September 2019.  That means that the original VestaCP project has become a security risk.

However, what I also learned from sohamb is that there is a Belgian fork that works with CentOS 7:
https://github.com/madeITBelgium/vesta

BUT - then when I did my research at the VestaCP Forum, I discovered this detailed discussion there and another fork that is actively developed for Debian 10:
https://github.com/myvesta/vesta#myvesta-control-panel

The above VestaCP Debian Fork now has my attention - particularly because of what the author of the fork says his reason is for using Debian 10:

He was comparing this with Ubuntu that is always a headache when it has to go through an upgrade.  Obviously the more up to date the configuration that is used with VestaCP the less risky it will be to use.

I'll probably try Sohamb's CentOS fork first.  As I'm a CentOS user.  But then again, maybe this is an opportunity to change to Debian.  Also, the guy responsible for developing the Debian Fork has just started a discussion forum, so may be worthwhile trying it out.  There may be some active support available.

In the discussion at VestaCP about whether the VestaCP Project is dead, one of the Administrators recommended the following alternative for VestaCP that may also be worthwhile pursuing - looks like it's a Project of some of the original VestaCP staff - it has a dark theme and looks very much like VestaCP otherwise:

https://www.hestiacp.com/

I've just checked up on the regular Admin at VestaCP that used to take the lead.  Skurudo and Imperio.  Skurudo seems to have disappeared towards end of 2019.  Imperio's last English posts were participation in the thread below in which hestiacp is mentioned.  Looked like hestiacp may have been started by VestaCP staff:
https://forum.vestacp.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19531

Any way, VestaCP has always been risky, but probably now more than ever before.  It hasn't been updated since September 2019.  However, Imperio - a lead Admin of the original VestaCP (maybe the owner?) says it's still a going concern - or maybe is is just dreaming about making changes that he doesn't have time  nor staff left to complete:

Imperio is still supporting the Forum but all of his posts since January have been written in Russian.  His last support related post was made a week ago.

I should say, this is your perfect opportunity to try out CyberPanel, I’ve used both VestaCP and CyberPanel, and I’ve found CyberPanel to be a hell of a lot better than VestaCP. Plus, CyberPanel is still active by its own developers.

Sure you can go with a maintained fork of VestaCP, but honestly those aren’t very promising in terms of how long they’d remain active. 

And to be fair, i find no reason to go with VestaCP over CyberPanel. CyberPanel has everything VestaCP offers plus a hell of a lot more... and it supports both CentOS and Ubuntu! 

Speaking of Ubuntu, you mentioned that it’s a headache when it comes to upgrades. I strongly disagree, upgrading Ubuntu is insanely straightforward and hassle-free. No offense to anyone, but only someone lazy would call the Ubuntu upgrade task a headache.

And since you’ve used CentOS throughout, you will probably struggle when switching to Debian as there are many differences... only way to get yourself fully accustomed to it is to fiddle around with it and experiment, which as you’ve already emphasized, is not a great idea on a VPS 9, which happens to be the one you have.

In summary, I suggest sticking to CentOS (since that’s what you’re accustomed to) and moving to CyberPanel. If you need any help with that, ill be glad to assist you with the entire process (which is quite simple).

If you want, I can make you an account on my CyberPanel installation so you can try it out (it obviously won’t have everything the admin account would have, but it’ll give you an idea on what CyberPanel is like)
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.

Messages In This Thread
RE: VestaCP no longer supported - forks? - by ikk157 - 07-10-2020, 11:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
06-03-2020, 10:17 AM
Last Post: ikk157

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting